Author Topic: O/T but FE powered (steering & suspension)  (Read 4348 times)

SE2839

O/T but FE powered (steering & suspension)
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
While doing the disc brake conversion I noticed that I have some play in the upper ball joints so I figure on replacements. Well the uppers are easy to find but I think that if the uppers are worn then too so must be the lowers and the springs will already be out so probably better to replace now and why not just tighten everything up by going with all new wearables on the steering as well. So here is where things get tough,  the local Auto Zone and O'Reilly's can get some parts but not others and Ebay has lots of offerings but what's the quality? Lower ball joints include the control arms, are they correct? Who here has traveled this road? Is there a single source for quality steering & suspension parts?

rcodecj

• View Profile
Re: O/T but FE powered (steering & suspension)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
The upper ball joints wear at an increased rate compared to the lower ball joints because all the load is on the upper ball joint.
So not necessarily will the lower ball joints be worn out just because the uppers are.
In fact I have seen very few lower ball joints worn out on 100,000 mile cars, although the lower control arm bushing does disintegrate
I'm not saying your lowers aren't worn out, but not just because the uppers are worn.
According to my 1967 Ford shop manual the specs for the upper ball joint are .250 radial play-max allowable.
For the lower ball joint they say replace if perceptibly loose.
As for me if I can feel perceptible play in the upper ball joint, I replace it, I have had good luck with Moog brand.

Edit to add that often times the boots on the ball joints have deteriorated even on low mileage cars.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:10:59 PM by rcodecj »

Joe M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
When I used to work as a mechanic, it was rare to find worn lower ball joints on a car with a "Mustang" type front suspension.  It seems that the suspension design, where the spring is above the upper control arm, puts most of the load on the upper ball joint.  Conversely, in cars with the spring in the conventional location between the control arms, the lower ball joints seemed to see more wear.  Maybe someone with an engineering background can shed a bit more light on the subject.  I'm just speaking from personal experience.  You know, I've been getting some stuff from Rock Auto and have been very happy with the parts, the prices and delivery.  I shy away from Auto Zone and the other chains.  We are lucky to have an "old time" traditional independent parts store that I deal with most of the time.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:28:54 AM »
Ed what ever you do dont get lower balljoints from summit .I bought a set of lower ball joints with the control arm .The lower control arm bushing was to wide it wouldnt go into its hole on my comet .All it took was a little grinding though and all was good .This was a dorman brand which I thought would be fine not so .They didnt have moog in stock and my car had been torn down for a couple of weeks or I would have done something else .And like others have said the lowers seem to last a long time .On shock towered cars you will replace two sets of uppers to one set of lowers.Doug ;)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »
I dont find my Fairlane shopmanual now
But if my memory dont play tricks with me
you have to place blocks between the
upper control arm and the frame when
checking for play in the upper baljoint
with the wheel unloaded
I dont know if you are avare of that
just mention it

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

SE2839

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
I had the car off the ground and used a lever to lift the tire, there appears to be more than a 1/4" of travel in the upper ball joint though not much more.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »
Through the years i had some Mustangs and Fairlanes.
And I remember that there was some special procedure
with the upper baljoint. But 20 years since i worked on one
If and a big if i remember right with the wheel lifted and
blocked to rideheight you have a bit of travel in the
upper baljoint upp and down and thats ok. (they have that new)
But no travel in and out
I have a Mustang/Fairlane shopmanual but cant find it

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:45:22 AM »
Nice car  thats a model i dont think was sold
in Sweden .I have never seen one live.
I had a 66 Fairlane XL With a 390 Black
also