Author Topic: broken rocker  (Read 3680 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
broken rocker
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
ok guys on my way to work driving nice and easy cause I had open headers from track a couple of weeks ago, car started to run ruff at first thought it was like a bad pickup but then heard a noise popped off valve cover and #3 cylinder exhaust rocker broke. Nice clean brake and checked pushrod for straightness ( good). Being this is the second time that a rocker broke I ordered a set of harland sharps because I have one on there already. Upon further inspection found intake pushrod bent, had a borascope and tried to look down plug hole but cant see that side of piston, why do you think that happened should there be somthing else to look for

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: broken rocker
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Funny(not really), I just went through the same ordeal. If you care to waste some time, heres the link- http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4107.0

If not, I would say check to make sure the exhaust lifter didn't pop out like mine did(shouldn't be likely with a roller lifter with tie bars), and also check both adjusters. Chances are, the exhaust will be fine, but I noticed the intake adjuster was slightly bent along with the pushrod on mine. If the lifter did pop out, it is definitely worth taking a look at to make sure it's alright. As far as the "why", sometimes rockers just say they've had enough. Rocker quality, material, and dimensions all play a very important role in the life span.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of rocker was it that broke and what is your spring pressure?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:43:16 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
Hey Nightmist the lifter are still in there and they move freely I didn't take them out but if I put a good pushrods in there and lift up just the oil that's on top grabs the lifter enough that it comes up a half inch before it separates I just hope everything else is ok called Doug from precision for a pushrods but he didn't call me back, I will call him again in the morning

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:37:55 PM »
Same thing happened to me on Saturday. Backed my fairlane out of the shop and it started missing and then heard the valvetrain clatter. Pulled it back in and pulled a valve cover.  Number one exhaust rocker adjuster had broken and intake pushrod was bent. Lifters move up and down easy. I'm wondering why the intake pushrod bent? Maybe compression not being able to go anywhere?
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »
That's what someone said on the other forum about why the pushrods bent shit I guess it's possible, better than the piston hitting it.Old rocker was a FPP or the POP ones like them a lot as far as spring pressure not really sure I have survival heads and those springs are good to 600 lift and I have 625 so I am assuming that he put on springs to match the cam
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:02:13 AM by Stangman »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »
i found a pushrod will update when I get it together thanks guys

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 05:53:58 AM »
Your springs are fine.  Aluminum rockers sometimes just break after a long life - that's why almost all OEM ones and NASCAR stuff is steel.  Fatigue accumulated over the past twenty years - not much of a problem since most hot rods don't run that long continuously - but it does happen.  The "sister" pushrod will very often fail when a rocker breaks - pressure has to go somewhere and its darn tough to open a valve against combustion.  Just hope you did not push the head gasket (most guys get "lucky" on that and do fine with a new rocker and pushrod or two).

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Barry , let's keep our fingers crossed on head gasket

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »
well got my new rockers on and got my pushrod from Doug and put her all together and it seems like
nothing else is bad. Only ran her for a couple of minutes want to hook exhaust up so I can hear the motor.
I appreciate the input guys.