Author Topic: Why not?  (Read 6600 times)

matt souders

• View Profile
Why not?
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »

This was my great grandmothers car. She passed about 14 years or so ago and when my grand father was trying to figure out what to do with " that piece of junk"I helped him out with $200. Now I was 16 and had huge plans of a 427 4 speed drag car but girls and such changed all that. It sat for several years before I got it and it sat until this past summer, when I got the itch for it again. The guys at work thought I was joking that I was pulling an old wagon out of the weeds to drive daily, or atleast until the night I drove it to work. Lol all they could do is ask why. I just smiled and asked why not. It's far from nice but I can still remember driving to town with her to get chicken so she could make us some of her famous pan fried chicken when she watched us in the summer. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:43:36 PM by matt souders »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Why not?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
Nice project. I'm a fan of wagons myself so I'd say go for it. The biggest concern on any of these old cars, especially the unibody ones is rust. It looks fairly solid in the picture, if that's true it's a worthwhile endeavor. I think those model year Falcon wagons are pretty similar to Fairlane wagons, without the FE option. I'm not sure if the engine bay is the same or not. Someone on the forum probably knows. One challenge with working on old wagons is that sadly they were one of the first things salvage yards crushed years ago, making wagon specific parts hard to find. And they're not a real priority with reproduction part suppliers. Keep us posted & good luck.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
I dig it man. The world needs more old wagons on the road. Later, Travis

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »
No reason "why not", particularly if it's in relatively decent structural condition to begin with.  Old (pre-73) wagons are amazingly practical, look good, mark their owners as iconoclasts unafraid to step away from the '2-door hardtop or nothing' mentality that afflicts our hobby, and -- properly set up -- do surprisingly well at the drag strip. 

Go for it.  I'm sure most of us here will happily advise you on how to spend your money   ;D 
Michael

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:37:45 PM »
I loved my '66 Falcon wagon with the 428 and 390 and toploader.  Would love to find another to build.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:43:09 PM »
I loved my '66 Falcon wagon with the 428 and 390 and toploader.  Would love to find another to build.

haha...was the 390 in the back and 428 in front?  (sorry, couldn't resist)
Michael

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:44:45 PM »
Forgive my ignorance guys, but if the Falcon wagon had a new front end would/could it be a Fairlane wagon?
It looks to me like the same body with basically different fenders.
BTW the answer to "why not", I certainly would.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

matt souders

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
From what I can tell so far yes it's more of a fairlane than a falcon/mustang from the parts I bought. Which was mostly suspension. It's a 200 6 with a c4. The original 6 was eating starters and I couldnt figure it out then I realized the crank had about 3/16 end ply.lol. The thing still ran fine couldn't belive it. Then I found another 200 out of a 68 mustang that's been in a garage for about 20 years and was unknown condition for 75 bucks. Bought it and did nothing but changed the oil and the periphials that I already bought for the other motor. I.e. Starter, water pump, rebuilt carb, points and such. More to come on this. And thanks for the comments.

frankenfords

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
The 66-early 70 Falcon's absolutely share the unibody with a 66-67 Fairlane. The 66-67 Falcon and Fairlane Rancheros are based on a variation of the 66-67 wagon unibody. If you look, a 66 Ranchero has a 66 Falcon front clip, and a 67 Ranchero has a 67 Fairlane front clip, but they are identical unibody structures.

An FE will bolt into a 66-early70 Falcon using 66-69-Fairlane/Torino hardware. All drivetrain parts interchange, and other than minor variations in the 66-67 style versus 68-early 70 style front suspension and steering which is common to all unibody Fords, those parts all interchange too. 66-71 station wagon and 66-71 Ranchero rear axles interchange, but the 70-71 rear axle is a touch wider. The steering column configuration changed in 68 to be a collapsible column for crash purposes.

My frankenwagon started life as a high optioned (V8, power disc brakes, power steering, air conditioning, power rear window) 69 Falcon Futura wagon, but now looks like a 67 Fairlane wagon after only swapping the front clip and changing the tail lights. It's been a few years since I did it, but I recall that the fenders bolted right on, and all I had to do to mount the Fairlane grill assembly was drill 4 holes in the embossed areas already stamped into the core support.

I say build it, there aren't enough of these bitchin old wagons left. If I hadn't saved mine, it probably would have been a parts car for a more common late 60's Ford.

Brett

57 lima bean

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »
Someone had to post this.Best of luck with the project!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvhWqcnqNM

matt souders

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the link. It really got the gears turning, makes me really want to drop an fe down in It. But that's down the road for now it's a daily driver until I get other projects finished.

The new six ran strong when I put it in but then the converter went so at the moment the trans and converter are at the local trans shop should get them back this coming week.

Is there anyone familar with the autolite 1100's on this board. The only complaint is after I rebuilt the carb (not sure if it did it  prior) is if the engine is under load at a slow speed (like backing up a steep hill) then you  let off of the throttle the engine stalls. I've tried adjusting the dash pod with no help.

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
I will say not only do I approve of this plan, I think it is awesome.
Wagons rule

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »
Someone had to post this.Best of luck with the project!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxvhWqcnqNM

Great vid!  8)
Bob Maag

mygasser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »
great project, i am a wagon man too.
ford anglia wagon altered wheelbase gasser

Tboggus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
I love it! Been thinking about something along those lines for myself. Would love a delivery but a nice wagon would work!