Author Topic: My '63 Mercury Wagon 390 build  (Read 12398 times)

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
My '63 Mercury Wagon 390 build
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
I've been posting questions in various threads and thought I probably should start a projects thread.
My wagon:
1963 Mercury Colony Park

Why am I not rebuilding the motor that's in there?
I love driving the car and also know my tendency to let projects linger.

What have I got so far?
I've got a '68 390 from a GT. Seems to be an X code block, although with all the various casting numbers for FE series engines I really don't know if that means too much. It's been bored 0.040 and is ready to build.
I also picked up an old supposed early 60s FE aluminum 4V intake, I need to get a picture of it and maybe get it ID'd. There are no casting numbers on it. The reason I got it was it was setup with the oil filler tube in the intake. I'm not married to it, I just thought it might be a cool OEM piece to use and I love the Mercury valve covers I have now(no oil filler holes).

What am I trying to do?
Build another 390 to replace the current tired motor, but with a bit more power.  Looking at the build sheet, the stock setup was 250Hp and 400lb/ft tq. I'd like to go a bit more than that, say around 350-400Hp and 450-500 lb/ft tq.
The car has a Merc O'matic that was just rebuild last year and I really want to keep that transmission. It really is nice on the highway(aside from having to stop about every hour to check oil from blowby loss). The read end is a 3.00 according to the door plate code.

Looks like the Survival Prison Break stroker package is pretty popular here and after talking with Barry that seems like a good choice for me. I read through the Hot Rod article on the budget 390 build linked on this site and while comprehensive, I am not looking to go street/strip, just a good cruiser that I'd love to try and do a Hot Rod power tour with.

I'd really appreciate any advice/feedback on heads, cam, rocker and intake setups I should consider. This is my first engine build, so I will most likely ask some dumb questions for sure.

Dan

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: My '63 Mercury Wagon 390 build
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:18:37 PM »
Cool friggin car.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
Thanks! I actually read your truck build project thread and got some ideas there. I thought about doing Edlebrok heads, but they are pricey, and it looks like with your stock heads you hit the power range I am interested in. If you don't mind me asking, what did the machine work cost for your heads?
Cool friggin car.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
Not expensive.
I can't remember it's been so long but it was basically replace the guides, new seals, a valve job and just barely touch up the ports. The only pain in the "a" expense was redoing the guides as they were hacked a bit the first time and I took it to another shop.
I did get a nice valve job so that was a bit more.
When I get a day off Ill find my build sheet. It has prices.
Meanwhile I'll bet one of the younger guys that still has a memory will chime in.
Cheers
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
Love the car -- I've got a thing for wagons. How about some inside pics, I'm tempted to put a Merc gage cluster in my Ford. Can't help on your questions, but it sounds like you're heading the right direction. Later, Travis

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:20 AM »
Yeah man, I get some inside pics. It's a red interior. The gauge cluster in these are the coolest, love the individual instrument pods.
Love the car -- I've got a thing for wagons. How about some inside pics, I'm tempted to put a Merc gage cluster in my Ford. Can't help on your questions, but it sounds like you're heading the right direction. Later, Travis

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Great looking car! One you really don't see anymore.

On your build, maybe figure out how much you want to spend first. Usually, folks way underestimate the $ involved in attempting what you want to do.

The stroker kit is a natural for such a big, heavy ride. Yet, if it's a highway star and max hp isn't needed, the iron heads, stock rockers and such s/b fine topped with nice intake. Doesn't sound like the 3.0 gear is going anywhere yet a lower gear would wake things up at the expense of fuel mileage.

What's with the tranny kicking out fluid btw? Sounds like a few $ spent there would be part of the build-up.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:26:07 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
The transmission isn't spitting fluid, it's the engine. Lots of blowby at moderate highway speeds.

Great looking car! One you really don't see anymore.

On your build, maybe figure out how much you want to spend first. Usually, folks way underestimate the $ involved in attempting what you want to do.

The stroker kit is a natural for such a big, heavy ride. Yet, if it's a highway star and max hp isn't needed, the iron heads, stock rockers and such s/b fine topped with nice intake. Doesn't sound like the 3.0 gear is going anywhere yet a lower gear would wake things up at the expense of fuel mileage.

What's with the tranny kicking out fluid btw? Sound slike a few $ spent there would be part of the build-up.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:44:58 AM by ChiefDanGeorge »

57 lima bean

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »
It needs State Park stickers in the side windows.. :)

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
Yep, I've been looking online for some of the vintage ones.
It needs State Park stickers in the side windows.. :)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
Very nice Merc, I'm partial to wagons myself also. On the subject of intake manifolds it would be best if you could post a picture of the Ford aluminum intake you have and we could help you I.D. it. There were many Ford aluminum intakes that didn't have a casting number and Jay found quite a variation in how they perform, even on a mild build. Some examples of 4V aluminum manifolds that didn't have a casting number ( although many have a date code ) are the '60 352 HP, the '61 390 HP, some 406 & 427 LR, and some 427 Medium Riser manifolds. They all have a provision for the oil filler tube. In general the manifolds got better with each later version as time went on. In particular, Jay found the '60 352 HP manifold was a poor performer even on his mild 410 horse dyno motor, making less power than a stock "S" iron intake which itself is a pretty poor performer for anything beyond a stock rebuild. Now if it turns out you have a early 427 MR manifold that will be a good choice. Jay and some of the other members can give you some good build advice, but you'll want to figure out what you have first. It will be fun to follow along.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:19:04 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
I actually posted a thread in the main tech forum and think I got it ID. This is the one it most closely matches.
SInce this is my project thread, I'll post the pics here too:

Very nice Merc, I'm partial to wagons myself also. On the subject of intake manifolds it would be best if you could post a picture of the Ford aluminum intake you have and we could help you I.D. it. There were many Ford aluminum intakes that didn't have a casting number and Jay found quite a variation in how they perform, even on a mild build. Some examples of 4V aluminum manifolds that didn't have a casting number ( although many have a date code ) are the '60 352 HP, the '61 390 HP, some 406 & 427 LR, and some 427 Medium Riser manifolds. They all have a provision for the oil filler tube. In general the manifolds got better with each later version as time went on. In particular, Jay found the '60 352 HP manifold was a poor performer even on his mild 410 horse dyno motor, making less power than a stock "S" iron intake which itself is a pretty poor performer for anything beyond a stock rebuild. Now if it turns out you have a early 427 MR manifold that will be a good choice. Jay and some of the other members can give you some good build advice, but you'll want to figure out what you have first. It will be fun to follow along.

Yellow Truck

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »
Odd that it has no marks on it of any kind, other than the paw prints, which are a nice touch.

Love the old wagons. Just bought a 2010 Flex because it is a wagon.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
Keeper! Going to be following this project.  You keeping the faux wood treatment? (pretty please!!!!, let the answer be yes)
Michael

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 06:31:55 AM »
Yep, if anything I'll redo with a more period appropriate wood vinyl, I think it's supposed to be darker.
It's a great driver, so much power steering there is no road feel. I just sofa down the road, I just want to do it faster!
Keeper! Going to be following this project.  You keeping the faux wood treatment? (pretty please!!!!, let the answer be yes)