Author Topic: pulleys  (Read 7896 times)

stangbuilder

• View Profile
pulleys
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »
Been trying to track down some 10% overdrive pulleys with no luck. Does someone have a source for pulleys. I have a set of march under drive pulleys. Temps go up to about 220 on a 85 degree day 

Thank for the help Tim R

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
Re: pulleys
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
a friend of mine found some through trans dapt.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
Did you try CVF.I have a running hot problem also i bought a 5.4 inch w/p pulley hoping it is going to help, My crank pulley is 7 inch
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:47:01 PM by Stangman »

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
Been trying to track down some 10% overdrive pulleys with no luck. Does someone have a source for pulleys. I have a set of march under drive pulleys. Temps go up to about 220 on a 85 degree day 

Thank for the help Tim R

I had the CVF underdrive pulley set on a 69 small block mustang.  The car was an automatic, and I had to set the idle higher than I liked because it slowed the alternator down to the point of the turn signals would slow down, and the turn signals would stop if the headlights were on also.  Might have been something else causing it, but I sold the car to fund the current Cobra Jet Mach 1 project.  If I still had the car, I'd experiment with other size alternator pulleys.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
Have you tried regular stock pulleys? Do you have or have you considered an Edelbrock waterpump, which supposedly has a higher flow capacity?

Having said that though, flow is typically not the issue with overheating, but with your underdrive pulleys it may not be helping. Do you currently have an old pump where the vanes may be in less than ideal condition? Maybe rusted? I have the same March pulleys with an Edelbrock waterpump on my 500hp 427 Mach 1 with no overheating issues, even on hotter days, which here means about 85-90* with about 70% humidity (which also affects heat transfer from the radiator). Overheating problems almost always come down to radiator efficiency/airflow/timing issues.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »
Dont know if my set up is going to work either havent driven it yet although should be soon

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »
Thank you for the reply's. This is a 477 in fe all alum deal. The car is a 67 shelby mustang under the skin is all resto mod.Ive had two diff radiators in it 1 a ron davis  the other a local radiator shop built me one . the common deal is nothing changed same overheats very slow once car heat soaks takes forever to come down. It does have a Edlebrock pump as well. This car has a fast sportsman efi system so i am able to track temp really easy.So at the end of the day the only thing i haven't tried is pulleys will the 1-1 ratio do it . i have a 5.4 crank pully. Side note car came off dyno at 590 hp

thanks Tim R

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »
Is it an oversize radiator, or stock size?  Crossflow or downflow?  What size are the tubes in the radiator?  Also, are you using electric fans, and if so, what kind?

On my higher horsepower cars I've always ended up notching the frame rails to fit a 31" wide crossflow aluminum radiator with 2 rows of tubes, either 1" or 1.25".  Usually a Griffin or a C&R.  Also, the only electric fans that really work are Spal; if you've got a DeRaille or Flex-a-lite electric fan they are pretty much no good for a higher HP application, especially in a tight engine compartment like a Mustang.

Not that the pulleys won't help, but if you try those and still have issues, I'd be looking at the radiator and fans.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 02:27:38 AM »
That's probably pushing the limits a little, of a cramped Mustang engine bay with no provisions for air to escape out of the hood. Still, the temp should come down fairly quickly once the car gets moving. I'm curious, at what temperature does it run while going down the highway or at a steady cruising speed?

I'd try the pulleys first because it's the cheapest thing to try. If that didn't work I'd probably try running with the hood off once to compare and see if it cooled noticeably better. I realize that could be a pain though, but it would certainly point out if airflow was an issue. If it was an issue, I'd start looking at upgrading things like Jay pointed out, to get the best system you can in there to try to overcome the issue of a cramped engine compartment. Sounds like a really cool car by the way (no pun intended ::))
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chris401

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
Did you try CVF.I have a running hot problem also i bought a 5.4 inch w/p pulley hoping it is going to help, My crank pulley is 7 inch
Did Motor Sports make those also? I sold a pair of no-name chrome pulleys yesterday. 7" and 5 1/2". They looked looked like nonstamped factory parts.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
Not sure but I have the original 7 inch crank and 7 inch w/p pulley and it ran warm thats why I bought the 5.4 pulley can only help and its inexpensive really I think a Spal fan is in order

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:15:29 AM »
thank you for all the ideas.. I have tried 3 different fans a 2 fan set up on the ron davis deal and a single on the custom 1. No difference on the single or duel. Its something else The pulley is the cheapest. i believe the 1-1 deal will not be enough..but it should change something if  im going in right way

sjmodels

• View Profile
    • Southerngassers
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
If it is over heating at slow speed or stopped and cools back down at higher speed check that hot air isn't circulating around the radiator under the hood ( rubber seals and air dams etc.).

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Just curious the fans that you were running were they Spal fans

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
I believe so..On my deal fans have done nothing..It does cool coasting down hill.. Then comes back up.