Author Topic: solid roller cam selection  (Read 15960 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: solid roller cam selection
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
If you plan to consider the flow from .500-up only, you will need at least a 4.5 bore, 3.5-ish stroke, short/fat intake runners, and a tach that goes to 12000.

That's not my plan at all. I'll add the lower numbers as soon as I'm back at the shop if they will help. Believe me I'd love to be able to test several combinations on a dyno given the chance but I don't have near the resources or experience as you guys so as I said I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have.
I have talked to Jim and I was only wanting other views  and opinions. I realize it's kinda a gray area and somewhat of a guess when I can't  do extensive  Dyno test. I admire you guys work and was just interested in each one of you guys opinion for this garage build. Thanks for taking the time to look it over and thank you for your opinion and information. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
Keith,  send me a PM with your contact info.  I'd need some more info, but I'll give you an opinion ........need to talk some about your end use,  and other parts that effect things.
Blair Patrick

plovett

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:28 AM »
Keith,  send me a PM with your contact info.  I'd need some more info, but I'll give you an opinion ........need to talk some about your end use,  and other parts that effect things.

Why don't you guys discuss it here, so we can all learn from it?  This forum is the reason you met in the first place. 

JMO,

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »
I don't know how I feel about that Paulie...

I was in the mood to give out my thoughts but Blair wasn't and there's nothing wrong with that.  Sure it's a forum meant to discuss things but I have seen scenarios (such as this) where people feel that they are entitled to all the information and experience that a builder has accumulated over the years.  Why do you think that you freely deserve what has taken many hours and dollars to figure out?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »
I don't know how I feel about that Paulie...

I was in the mood to give out my thoughts but Blair wasn't and there's nothing wrong with that.  Sure it's a forum meant to discuss things but I have seen scenarios (such as this) where people feel that they are entitled to all the information and experience that a builder has accumulated over the years.  Why do you think that you freely deserve what has taken many hours and dollars to figure out?

Because you're on a public forum.  YOU decided to come here.  I've been over this with you, as well.  I don't feel like I'm entitled to anyone's hard-won knowledge.  You and Blair and many others have obviously worked hard and learned a lot.  That doesn't mean you can come here to meet clients, and get sales.  Even though this is Jay's forum, and of course he can tell me I'm wrong if he so believes, it is STILL a public forum, not a place for vendors to hook up with clients.

Vendors DECIDE to post here.  You know that.  So don't act like you're some kind of saint.  That's baloney and you know it.

I'm not a saint either, and we both know that.   :)

I want to use Blair for some parts of my next build, so the easy and pragmatic, and selfish thing, for me to do would be to say nothing.  So why would I?

Or would you like me to treat people differently base upon my own needs?  No, I'll treat everybody the same even if it's not in my own interests.

You can advertise anywhere and anytime you want.  Is a public FE Forum the place for it?

What is the first and best purpose of forum?  The sharing of information?  Or is it just free advertising?

JMO,

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 07:38:03 AM »
It's for sharing information but there are some things that we don't feel like sharing, or just don't have the time to sit down and type out a book. We shouldn't be called out for that.  Plus there are instances where we just don't want to put up with the drama, cause we all know that our uncle Roscoe's cousin's roommate knows more than we do.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »

Pm sent
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

plovett

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
Then find clients on your own.  A forum is for sharing information.  If you have time to talk on the phone you have time to type a post.

I appreciate all the information you have freely given here and on other forums.  It is good advertising for you and helpful to FE enthusiasts at the same time. 

JMO,

paulie

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
It's for sharing information but there are some things that we don't feel like sharing, or just don't have the time to sit down and type out a book. We shouldn't be called out for that.  Plus there are instances where we just don't want to put up with the drama, cause we all know that our uncle Roscoe's cousin's roommate knows more than we do.

I for one totally get this. Especially with FE's . I think all you guys do a great job with sharing general information and even some sweet tricks and secrets. . I'd never expected for one of you guys to build me an engine on paper for free and for sure not for everyone to see. You guys do a great job with the builds and dyno sheets and just that info is a blessing but we all know having all the right parts is only half the battle,  takes guys like you to really know what to do with them. I for one am great full for the general information and guidelines.  I have built many garage built FE's for street and mostly for drag racing. I try and take it all in, every opinion and suggestion and learn what I can from it.
This is a great place and there's so much knowledge here and I hate to see people get upset about things cause everyone has an opinion and that's a great thing. I just try and take it all in and learn what I can no matter how little or how much someone shares. . A little tid bit here and there and some.good advice from the guys in the know is a great thing..
But yeah believe me, if any of you guys, (the big 5) lol wanna build my engine on paper well feel free.... lol
Thanks guys for all that you do share, no matter how much or how little. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »
Easy for you to say Paulie , really easy , post everything you know ....... no wait ,  first build a record setter type motor , spend 40 years learning it , then come on here and "give it away" in 5 seconds ... I'll be waiting

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
Hey Paul, you must have got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, LOL.  I talk alot better than I type, btw.  If you read my first response to Keith's question, I actually was trying to get him to go to Jim Kuntz, since he bought the heads from Jim.....if I want to advertise, I'll do it in the classifieds.  I come on here because I enjoy reading about things that interest me.  I don't post on every topic, but sometimes things strike my interest, and I opine, or comment based on things I have seen in the past.  I do not have to post on a feller's cam question to keep my business going.  Fortuneatley, it is rolling along quite well at the moment.  If I choose to talk or email privately with Mr. Keith,  that will be between Keith and myself............he might buy a cam from me.......he might buy one from Kuntz, or he might call a cam company..........sorry I upset you there.  I try to be respectful and tactful on here and on the FE forum.  Sometimes I won't post when I might like to, because I worry that I'll get a comment like you just made.  I don't like it when people in "business" get too frisky in the discussion section either, so I try not to cross what I figure to be the "line"............I guess my idea of the line and yours are different.  Whether Keith buys a cam from me or not, there are some ways I come to a determination about what I would use that I do not want to spew out into the interweb for free.  I am trying to eat working on FEs.  Talking on the tech page is not work for me, it is cool down time that I enjoy...................no harm in you expressing your opinion.........I get where you are coming from...........I just gave you mine.    Now THIS is a sales pitch:  when you get to the point that I might be able to help you with yours, give me a call.
Blair Patrick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »
I don't think you will find many pro builders giving as much FREE information as Blair, Brent and Barry have over the years. And it takes a LOT of time (and days replying back and forth) to type out what can be said in a 10 minute conversation. Enough said.

I'm looking forward to your build, Keith. It should be an interesting one.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
I don't think you will find many pro builders giving as much FREE information as Blair, Brent and Barry have over the years. And it takes a LOT of time (and days replying back and forth) to type out what can be said in a 10 minute conversation. Enough said.

I'm looking forward to your build, Keith. It should be an interesting one.

+1 on all that.  Just because you post on a forum doesn't mean that you are required to share all information.  I certainly don't, and I'm not even building engines for a living.  Also, I'm lucky enough to be able to type pretty fast, but most car guys I know don't, which makes it cumbersome and time consuming to write up a bunch of details.  Not everyone has the time or patience for that.

I am happy to have Brent, Blair, and Barry on this forum for the information that they do decide to share, and I hope they continue to be a part of the forum - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
I agree...
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

plovett

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »
I will stand alone with my opinion, then.  And I'll keep stating it.   If for no other reason than to keep it on the radar.

And yes Blair, I am grumpy sometimes.  :P  When Brent first came on the net he would respond to most all questions with "email me" or "PM me" or something similar, rather than answering the question on the forum HE posted on.  So, I'm definitely a bit sensitized to prostituting a public forum for monetary gain.

paulie