Author Topic: Intro + New to FE building and some questions  (Read 11607 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Re: Intro + New to FE building and some questions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:06:03 AM »
G'day!

Me.
I'm phil, 50 something and been building street and track cars and motors since I was a kid. I love building my own stuff and rarely pay anyone to do anything for me unless I don't have the equipment to do it. I would rather go buy the equipment than pay someone to do a job for me. When I was 25ish I needed a wheel alignment on a XW Falcon instead of booking it in I went to an estate sale and bought all the gear to do wheel alignments for $400, I still do my own wheel alignments with that gear to this day. My workshop is fairly well set up.

The project.
I have a number of projects on the go but the one of interest here is a '64 Galaxie 500 XL.  Factory 4V 390 4 speed car and fairly original survivor. I've had it about three years and on the road for about two years. I've been through the suspension, steering, brakes and general "make it nice to drive" stuff.  She does drive really nice and is a great cruiser but there's a few things that need attention;
The 390 has seen better days.  The exhaust sound was always "fluffy" out of the right bank and a compression test showed low compression on 3 & 4 that didn't improve with a wet test. #5 on the left bank was in similar shape so a freshen up was in order.
The clutch shudders like a kangaroo on speed and the gearbox jumps out of 2nd when you're off the throttle.

So coming into winter here, It's time for a little "shed time" with the Gal.  I got hold of a 428 that I am giving a freshen up before it goes in so far I've got hold of Edelbrock performer intake and heads and a Comp cams XE262H, I'll reuse the Sanderson shorties off the 390 too.  When the heads came off there was a lot of pitting in the bores and the pistons were sloppy. The bores measured around 4.135ish. 
Currently the block is with my machinist for rebore to whatever it cleans up at and deck, enough to square it up.  I don't know what pistons to get for it? should I be aiming for around 10:1 compression with this cam?  Intended use is as a cruiser with occasional long distance trips and an occasional run down the strip just to see how she performs.

Sorry for the long rant, but I do have some questions...

The motor is a '67 and I have a '64 bell and starter.  Will the 428 flywheel work with the '64 bell?  do I have to use a diaphragm clutch or will the early three lever type work?  What starter should I use, I don't know if my '64 type starter will work with the 428 flywheel.

Any and all replys welcome,
cheers,
Phil.

Welcome to FE Power Forums Phil!

Sound very familiar, Another member here not so far from 60.

I started out the same way buying a few tools each year. Now after 40 something years my shop is finally getting equipped to do stuff. Right about the time I should be at retirement . .  I think I have spent more $ in past year than the last 10 prior years combined .

Please keep us updated on the Galaxie Project.

Tom Gahman

• View Profile
clapper
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
OK ,thanks, clapper is the new style.
Learned a new term!
thanks and good luck with the project.
Tom.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »
G'day 66 Fairlane!  Nice ride mate, is she running FE?, built or stock?   Thanks for the clapper info if you can find it.  I pulled two out of my junk pile but I don't know what they're out of.
Phil.

Ok I will try to find it over the next couple of days. I remember thinking the same as you , 'gee this looks like a 6 cylinder one'.

The Fairlane is a 390 and far from stock anything.  ;D

Had it for 20 years. It's a 20 footer these days but still comes up ok. Heres a recent pic I had a little fiddle with.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:19:55 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

oldgal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »

PS. Jay,  I love the launch on your 64 Gal there,  I don't think mine will go quite that hard!!

Cheers,
Phil.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
66FAIRLANE, not trying to sound too dumb here, but what is the "ribbon" for that stretches from the grille ornament to the vent windows?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:27 AM »
66FAIRLANE, not trying to sound too dumb here, but what is the "ribbon" for that stretches from the grille ornament to the vent windows?

It was a mates wedding. Seems like the only time I take photos of it!

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 01:50:18 AM »
It was a mates wedding. Seems like the only time I take photos of it!

Oh, ok. Just curious. Btw, the car looks very clean! Also, do you have any pics of the engine?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:53:56 AM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
Hi Phil. Hope your not in a hurry. I had some urgent work to do on the daily (BA Fairmont) on the weekend and screwed up my fragile back. Should be ok in a couple of days and I will have a rummage.

oldgal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »
Hi Phil. Hope your not in a hurry. I had some urgent work to do on the daily (BA Fairmont) on the weekend and screwed up my fragile back. Should be ok in a couple of days and I will have a rummage.

No, no rush mate,  the motor won't be back together for a few weeks yet.   Thanks for looking for me.

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
Re: Clapper?
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:02 AM »
Phil, whats a clapper?
New or late style would be the starter without the bendix drive on the end of the shaft.
Tom.

G'day Tom,  The clapper is a style of starter that was common on a lot of early to mid 60's American cars. similar to later starters without the solenoid on the side/top.  The clapper has a tin cover that runs down the side of the starter that covers the throwout mechanism but still with remote solenoid. A lot smaller than the earlier bendix type but not as small as later "solenoid on the side" type.
I don't know if I got all the facts straight but that's how I see it.
Cheers,
Phil.

In the US a clapper is a little device that you plug into the wall outlet, then plug a lamp into it. When you walk into the room, just clap your hands and the lamp turns on.  Remember the TV commercial? "CLAP-ON -clap-clap- CLAP-OFF -clap-clap-..."    Imagine starting your car that way?       
                   Welcome to the world of FE.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:38:01 AM by FirstEliminator »
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:06 AM »
I thought, Clapper...
Then my gutter mind was all over that. ::)
Some pretty good ones. :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clapper