Author Topic: 504 Highboy  (Read 20031 times)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: 504 Highboy
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
Guys I had the interference problem on a 105 block.

You sure did! I have never used the 1020 on the smaller bores, but it looks like it would be the same problem.  I like the 8045 PT on those blocks, as far as conventional gaskets go.

Notice the rust that happens under the gasket, which will eventually erode under the fire ring. 
Blair Patrick

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »
Yup, learned a lot on my first FE build. ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 11:16:09 PM »
Well, a lot has happened with this project. And I've done a piss poor job of posting my progress. Maybe I can make up for it with a pic filled post.  :)

I was originally planning on using my ported C4-G iron heads with a flat tappet cam on this 504. And then the red truck project happened. Dad and I found a 1999 F-450 that needed a 7.3 Powerstroke engine.

The price for it was really reasonable. And we knew of several low mileage 7.3 engines that were available. After a few months worth of weekends working on it, we had a running truck. After selling the truck, we had enough fun bucks to upgrade the top end of the 504. But time was very short to get the engine done before the big local mud races. We only had 5 weeks. Below is pic of the flyer for the mud races. I found it in the window at the NAPA in town.

The first call I made was to Blair Patrick Racing for a killer set of his Pro-Port heads. Along with the heads I got a set of T&D Race rockers and a set of Crower solid roller lifters with the HIPPO oiling feature. Blair really had to bust his hump to get these heads done in time for me. He had some big challenges to overcome on his end. The lack of Pro-port castings at the time was a biggie. Everybody was out of them. Even Edelbrock was claiming to be out. Somehow through Blair's connection at Edelbrock, several sets of Pro-Port castings were found and expedited to his shop. You will see in the 2 pics below, the quality of Blair's work is top notch. Valve sizes are 2.210 intake and 1.710 exhaust I think. Can't remember. The over-all length of the push tubes came in at 9.250 and they had to have 5/16 balls on each end. Luckily these are a shelf item from Smith Brothers. The cam is one of Blair's more streetable Bullet solid roller grinds. .660 lift with the duration @.050 around 260deg.

My second call was to our gracious forum host and FE Cammer stud, Jay Brown,  for another intake adaptor. I had bought Jay's 13001 intake adaptor to use with my C4-G iron LR heads. But the intake port that Blair puts in his Pro-Ports is similar in cross-section to the MR port. I ended up going with Jay's 13006 intake adaptor for the Edelbrock 2863 Yates/Glidden intake manifold. Jay was out of the 13006 at the time I called but crashed one through his shop for me on short notice. Thank you again Jay.  8)

After receiving the intake and adaptor, I did quite a bit of milling to get the two to fit together right and the ports to line up sexy. I milled a little over .200 off the intake flanges. I stopped at .200 off the flanges because I didn't want the flanges getting too thin.

The remainder that needed to be milled came off the 13006 intake adaptor. I milled enough off that I needed to use button head screws to clear the flanges on the 2863 intake. I also milled off the additional flange above the valve cover rail.

Below is a pic of the gasket that Jay recommended for the 2863 intake/13006 intake adaptor combo.

This pic shows the T&D Race Rockers. Blair milled the top of the heads to fit the T&D subplate which is held down with longer headbolts that come with the T&D rocker Kit. They are oiled through the push tubes like a Chebbie. To do this I drilled and tapped the decks and plugged the factory FoMoCo rocker oiling passages. I also drilled and tapped the lifter oiling off-shoots for .075 orifices that I made from 3/8 set screws.

I'm getting ready to paint in this pic. In one of the classes I race in, iron heads are mandatory. So the Pro-Ports have to be painted to look like iron. Bummer....

Now it's starting to take on a stealthy look. Dad rubbed on those old M/T valve covers for a long time.

Getting the truck headers to work took some time. The pick below shows #8 tube upsidedown. I welded additional bead on the edges I ported out to help with sealing. I also welded around each tube before I ported them to prevent breaking through the tube.

The pic below shows the new holes I had to drill in the header flanges. I moved them down about 3/4 to get the tubes lined up with the exhaust ports.

It wasn't easy but the headers lined up pretty nice.

Here's a pic of the end result. The carb is a 1050 Holley Dominator. I found it used on Racingjunk.com. The guy that had it told me it originally came from Reher&Morrison. He raced it a season at Bonneville and then sent it to BRE for more modifications. I've messed with it quite a bit now and have to say that I've never worked on such a sweet carb. Subtle little tweeks are very noticable with this carb. I'm really impressed with the throttle response.

[/UR

The pic below shows the engine at home finally.

[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/kmccullah1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150820_215506_zpsfonvylu6.jpg.html]

The carb sits up quite a bit so a hole in the hood for the air cleaner was needed. I didn't want to butcher my cherry hood so dad volunteered the hood off his "truck garden". It keeps the veggies off the ground so the rabbits can't get them he say's. Since dads retirement, he's came up with all kinds of innovations.  Below is a pic of the "truck garden". It used to be a class C motorhome.

The pic below shows the hacked up "truck garden hood". It fit better than my original hood. Too bad it's not the right color. I also took a minute and put on my racing tires.

I wish I had time to put the engine on the dyno. Someday I hope to. But for now I've got a race to run. We put about 40 miles of driving time on it before we raced it. It broke in nicely. Seeing the big grin on dads face the first time I dropped the hammer was priceless. Below is a link to one of the passes I made at the mud drags. The two guys before me had gotten stuck in my lane and had to be pulled out. The guy next to me left before the flag dropped and got a "no time". Basically a DQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXKbxLZm3U

It sounded pretty good huh? I gotta get a GoPro someday so I can post better quality videos. I entered Superstock and Prostock. I usually stay away from the Prostock guys because they are bad fast. But I was feeling pretty confident with this new 504. I had transfer case problems on one of my runs in Superstock (it slipped into 2wd somehow after my first Prostock pass :( ) and didn't finish in the money. But took a 2nd place in Prostock. This 504 pulls so much harder than my old 390. In the video link above, I launched in 3rd gear and low range.  The old 390 would NOT pull 3rd gear and low range. So I made a huge torque improvement. The pic below shows the mess after the race.

I ran out of daylight and had to finsh my wash job the next day. Damn what a muddy mess! I took an old drain pan and drilled a hole in the center of it so I could bolt it over my air cleaner.

I spent hours washing off all the clay. At this point I don't know that I will race this truck in the mud anymore. It weighs at least a 1000lbs more than the truck that won the Prostock class.  So to be really competitive I've got several mid-70's half ton 4wd trucks that I can turn into dedicated mud racers. And since I have enough motor now to be a threat.....why not?

The next project will be a street legal drag racing truck of some kind. I have several trucks that I could use. Below is a pic of a 1962 F-100. I'm leaning towards this one.

Last but certainly not least...... I need to send out a huge thank you to Blair Patrick for helping me make this all happen. His vast FE experience and sage wisdom were called upon many times over the last few months. I'm sure I woke him up a few times with my poorly timed text msg questions. I'm lucky he's such a patient guy. Again.... thank you Blair.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:24:37 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »
Progress is looking great! :) Motor looks healthy. One other thing you could do when painting the aluminum heads is throw some metal shavings in from a brake lathe into the paint to add that "authenticity". But who would do that? ::) ::)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:51:07 AM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
That is awesome!  That mud drag stuff looks like its just a blast.  Great job on all the custom work, Kevin!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Awesome truck Kevin.
Envy meter is pegging.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It was quite the thrash to get everything together in time AND get it all working well. But not even close to the epic Drag Week thrashes that Jay has pulled off in the past. One of the many things I learned with this project is a fast approaching race day is like having hot rocks in your pants. It WILL get your ass moving.
Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
I just had a chance to check this thread out. Great work, Kevin! Lots of not-so-subtle things pop up when you start using parts outside the norm. Looks like you did a nice job of making stuff work. The engine sounded pretty good too! Only issue I'd have with mudding is having to spend all that time cleaning stuff up afterwards..lol

A couple of questions, what are the 2 tabs that appear to be sticking out from under the head? They appear to be part of the head gasket? 2nd, it looks like you had to grind on that Genesis block near the first sideoiler plug, or was it machined that way? It looks so darn deep that it would have almost penetrated the side oiling channel.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »
I just had a chance to check this thread out. Great work, Kevin! Lots of not-so-subtle things pop up when you start using parts outside the norm. Looks like you did a nice job of making stuff work. The engine sounded pretty good too! Only issue I'd have with mudding is having to spend all that time cleaning stuff up afterwards..lol

A couple of questions, what are the 2 tabs that appear to be sticking out from under the head? They appear to be part of the head gasket? 2nd, it looks like you had to grind on that Genesis block near the first sideoiler plug, or was it machined that way? It looks so darn deep that it would have almost penetrated the side oiling channel.

Thanks Doug-Those tabs are brass rivets that hold the layers of Cometic head gaskets together. And all the grinding was to clear the HD truck motor mount. I still had to put a washer between the boss and motor mount to get off the side oiler journal. The thinest part of the journal is 3/16. That tapped hole motor mount boss next to the side oiler journal has been moved 1/4" away from the side oiler journal. Something Genesis did for extra insurance I guess. I had to mill the hole in the motor mount into a slot to get that bolt in. It makes me wonder where FoMoCo put that particular hole.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:27:43 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
I told myself I wasn't going to race this heavy ass truck in the mud anymore but a home town race came up and..... you know how the rest of this goes. This is a pretty big event in the area so I can't just let it go. It turned out to be a really good outing actually. I entered into two classes, Superstock and Prostock. The main difference between the two classes is tire height. Up to 37" in Superstock and up to 40" in Prostock. My tires are 35". The Prostock guys are also allowed Lexan windows. My truck was the only street legal truck in the Prostock class by the way. I guess that's one of the reasons why I always have to mess with them. I always stand up when I know I should sit down kinda thing with me.  ;D Anyhow.....I managed a win in Superstock and a 3rd in Prostock. Below is a link to my fastest run of the weekend. The time was 3.55 seconds.

https://youtu.be/DO7d0e5jirM

I also need to say thank you to Blair. I was sitting in 2nd place in Superstock after the Friday night race. My problem was I didn't think I had enough valve spring to rev past 6500. That's where I've had my rev limit set ever since Blair built the heads. We exchanged a few texts Saturday morning and I explaind my need for more revs. I then realized I had misunderstood a conversation we had a long time ago. He reassured me that his heads would probably stand at least 7500 with out any valve float. Long story short.....he helped me find the .25 of a second that I was needing to win. My rpm in the video above was at 7400 when I went thru the traps. Thank you Blair!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:36:23 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 11:37:40 PM »
That truck cranks in the mud! Very cool, Thanks for posting.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 05:48:33 AM »
Dang, that was a serious high rpm launch! What gear is that? Thanks for the video, nice!

FYI, Sled pull season opener in Vernal, Utah 6-10-16.

Nick
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
Damn Kevin, that is a way cool truck/engine.
Congratulations, that thing hauls ass.
BTW you're next project is right up my alley also, I have a pretty little '61 as a daily driver.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:49:19 AM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
So Kevin, will you make your '62 into a clone of the famed FE 427 '63 XL drag truck?

http://f-100xl.info/

Would look mighty cool!
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm not very good at telling a story. Here's a few more details.

My reason for wanting to rev more was because power shifting a NP435 is a bitch. I missed several shifts on Friday night. Below is a link to a video of me shifting mid-pit.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pivhY9OfDE&feature=youtu.be

I was trying to launch at 5000 so I wouldn't have to shift before the truck was hooked up. And then the rev limiter would start blubbering. Everything was happening so fast. But after I realized I could safely rev past 6500 I started launching at 5500 and just left it in 3rd gear low range and let it zing past 7000. And then my times dropped around .300 of a second.

Would love to try a sled again Nick. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Bob- I'm not much on clones and tribute type builds. But reading some of Jack Fuche's old posts about the F100-XL is what got me interested. And being a truck guy, it just makes sense.
Kevin McCullah