Author Topic: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?  (Read 16659 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
I'm a parts hog when I find 'em cheap or close to free, and I'll buy and store stuff that I can't just go out and get if it strikes me even if I don't need it at the time.  Much like Drew's story, I'd rather have it on the shelf and I have picked up entire cars just to take them apart and store.

Reading your posts about which way you might want go and what to do with your Merc(s), it sounds like you really want to bring your project to life.  Personally, I've never had an "investment quality" car, so I've forced myself to look the other way when it comes to the actual value of the car, parts and/or whether I could sell it.

Every time I ever did it took the fun right out of the project for me.  In any event, I hope you are successful however you choose to go.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
...Personally, I've never had an "investment quality" car, so I've forced myself to look the other way when it comes to the actual value of the car, parts and/or whether I could sell it....

This has been my old car situation and philosophy for years...and I suspect is not at all uncommon amongst the majority of enthusiasts.
Michael

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I have a nice complete 65 390 SuperMarauder that I pulled out of the crunched Merc last summer, cherry valve covers, the air cleaner, trans, power brake booster and master, radiator and all, for $100- some parts I can use, but other than the VC's, a definite snoozer- just a good 390-4V core

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »
I just ran across a complete 66 410 engine and trans less carb and aircleaner  and I`m sure I`ll get it in a week or so. value of the crank is worth the price I`m going to pay for it. If epayed it would have been three time the asking price. Hey Lenze nobodies gonna beat Hamburg in the snowfall contest this season!

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »
Bold words GJ, it ain't even February yet ;)

428M, sorry to get this thread off track a bit but do check Meangene's post.  The $$$ can be very reasonable if you aren't in a hurry.  You could score a runner on the cheap and tear down the froze motor for a future rebuild or just to save what's good for later.  As far as skills go everything you need to know is on you tube or right here for the asking.  All you need to yank that anchor is a cherry picker, some common tools and a hunk or 2 of wood to roll it on if you don't have a concrete floor or a way to push the Merc out from under once you've got the engine up.  From what I gather you've got nowhere to go but up on this project, once you start you may surprise yourself on what you can accomplish for reasonable dough and what you will learn along the way.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
You can rent cherry pickers.....  and anything is possible with some energy.
I've pulled an engine out of a car with a stock F150 screw jack, some 2x4's, and a tree limb (not proud of it, just showing that it is possible)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
A local shop told me, "You bring it to me, and pick it up, $1500". So, maybe that's the way to go. Sink $1500 into having it professionally rebuilt and then sell it for $3k.
Don't do that deal. It will end badly for you.

You old shade tree Drew. ;D
A good branch and a come along.
My plan has always been buy high and never sell anything.
That's probably why I have piles of junk. ::)

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

You old shade tree Drew. ;D
A good branch and a come along.
My plan has always been buy high and never sell anything.
That's probably why I have piles of junk. ::)
[/quote]

Just reminded me of one of my winter rides.  Rolled a rotted '62 chevy truck over with a tractor to dump out the 292 6 banger, drug the thing into the barn on an old hood with a chain and stuck it into my $75 '60 Bel-Air.  Ah, the memories.. ;D
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
Come along?  had no idea what that was, I'd jack up the whole front end of the car, attach the engine to the tree limb and lower the car with the screw jack.... wallaa!  engine removal on a budget.  Back when a transmission jack was actually a dude named Jack, he'd drop the tranny on his chest and scream, "Quick!!! pull my legs."  Back when I didn't even know what concrete was........

Times have changed tho, I've got a 1500 sq ft pad of concrete and a shop, now I'm upper lower class.  I still roll around the trailer park in my 76 f100, wearing a tracksuit and gold chains while tellin all the lil hunnies "It aint changed me none"

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
Since were kinda off topic a little, I have a story that tops both. 20 plus years ago my buddies dad pulled the 289 out of their maverick. He unhooked everything, bent over and pulled it out. By hand. Then carried it up the driveway, and told my buddy to hurry up and open the door, it was getting heavy! He set it on the picnic table and they rebuilt it there. True story. He was 6' 6" and maybe 400 lbs and hard as old iron.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Come along?  had no idea what that was, I'd jack up the whole front end of the car, attach the engine to the tree limb and lower the car with the screw jack.... wallaa!  engine removal on a budget.  Back when a transmission jack was actually a dude named Jack, he'd drop the tranny on his chest and scream, "Quick!!! pull my legs."  Back when I didn't even know what concrete was........

Times have changed tho, I've got a 1500 sq ft pad of concrete and a shop, now I'm upper lower class.  I still roll around the trailer park in my 76 f100, wearing a tracksuit and gold chains while tellin all the lil hunnies "It aint changed me none"

LMAO!!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Since were kinda off topic a little, I have a story that tops both. 20 plus years ago my buddies dad pulled the 289 out of their maverick. He unhooked everything, bent over and pulled it out. By hand. Then carried it up the driveway, and told my buddy to hurry up and open the door, it was getting heavy! He set it on the picnic table and they rebuilt it there. True story. He was 6' 6" and maybe 400 lbs and hard as old iron.

I pulled that one out with an excavator- first you hook the radiator support with the bucket teeth, and give yourself another foot of clearance, then while it's hooked on the bucket, raise it up and throw a couple log rounds underneath- comes right out  8)

I had a buddy like yours, looked just like Ben Davidson and at least as big, "Butch". He had a 70 340 Duster and a a hopped 750 Honda- I saw him pick up the Honda and put it in the Duster trunk one day. So that winter, he decides the Duster engine needs a R&B job, so he pulls the heads, unbolts the trans, and reaches in over the fender and grabs the 340 shortblock out of there- never even stopped talking. Nobody ever f#*ked with Butch much :-X

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
A buddy of mine bought a Rambler flat 6 car for the motor. They were a bolt in on old jeeps, We unbolted the motor and then decided to get the motor out we couldn`t lift it out with the old ford tractor with the flinsy frt loader. Idea! lets tip the car on its side, we did and the motor rolls right out! Lands on the ground and does`nt hurt it a bit. Next step get rid of the car, junk yard is down the street so he ties a rope to it and to his dads truck, I get to drive the car. Now he goes down the road with me In tow and the rope brakes I`m really moving and step on the brakes OH OH no brakes nothing to do but pass him. You should have seen the look on his face as I went by him waving. I get to the yard and turn into it pass the shed where the owner is and sail into the yard aways. needles to say I get chewed out for not stopping and checking in first! Boy the things we did when we were 17.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
I apologize for my rambling. I can be manic sometimes, but that doesn't make me a bad person.

So, anyway, whatever the value of these parts are, I am Ok with just squirelling them away with my other stuff. I have an original 1967 428 Super Marauder air cleaner assembly, and the decal is old and faded ... but it's original. Worth at least $500 to me, prolly not really for sale. So, fine, I take a bath in this car, but I am gonna get some good, old original parts, that maybe down the line I can trade or something. Some of them I can use on my 65 convertible. Like, just to have the rare stuff like the original window washer pump, good to have for posterity. To have the date correct carb, valve covers, air cleaner assembly, etc. to go along with my convertible Park Lane, adds value, since I put a 428 in it. And when I say "paid" .... crack head had my car for 6 months. I learned my lesson there. Shop I have lined up right now is reputable. Knows I have been waiting a long time, about to pay the guy $400 to do a tranny swap because I can't do it on my own. Not in the space I have, on gravel, and with my bad back.

Anyone in the Tucson area want a free C6 trans? If you got the tools and the skills, I will drive my car to your place and help you swap the trans out with my spare. You keep the semi-working trans in there now and I will pay you $100. Works well enough that I can drive it over with the spare trans in the trunk. Been on this guys waiting list since November.

Also ... love your stories, about yanking engines and stuff. More stories is always good in my book!

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:23 AM »
One time, my brother was driving this VW bug to work, and the engine caught fire. Fuel leak, fire, belt broke. So, he had like some bubble gum and panyhose or something MacGiverish like that, and he fixed the car and drove it to work, and was only 5 minutes late.

And one time I was driving a 1995 Jeep Wrangler from Seattle to Humboldt, CA, to visit my uncle, who lives like in the boonies, and grows pot, on a small scale, for a living. Some of the people around there get paranoid. Anyway, I was about half way there, manual, 5 speed Jeep and I felt my brakes going. Sure enough, not long later, foot to the floor, zero brakes and I am going 80 MPH on the I5. I never even stopped or pulled over, or called anyone, made it to my uncle's house in record time. A brake line had been rubbing and caused a small hole that leaked all the fluid.

Some people, I tell them that story, "You are crazy!" there's no red lights on the highway. I didn't need to stop. Manual transmission, light traffic. No brakes, no problem.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:16:13 AM by 428Marauder »