Author Topic: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?  (Read 16660 times)

428Marauder

• View Profile
Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
Hi,

I picked up a 65 Mercury Montclair Marauder a few months back and I find myself unable to sell it. I need $3k to break even and I value the chrome parts at about $1000. The motor is frozen and it seems that concerns people even more than not having a motor at all. It is the original 390 4bbl, complete down to the tag on the carb. So, I started doing some math, and I made some estimates:

Original 4bbl carb with tag: $400
Pent-roof Mercury valve covers: $200
390 "Super Marauder" air cleaner assembly (needs resto): $250
Original 1965 radiator (likely needs re-core): $250
Original fan assembly and spacer: $150
"warning: fan" small shroud with bolts: $50
Heads (need rebuilt): $200

Does this sound about right? What are other engine bay parts that might have value? Carb linkage? Kickdown linkage?

Thanks.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »
So you essentially want $1000 for a frozen engine but without the shortblock?

my own experience is more like this:

Original 4bbl carb with tag: $50
Pent-roof Mercury valve covers: $75
390 "Super Marauder" air cleaner assembly (needs resto): $0
Original 1965 radiator (likely needs re-core): scrap value is $18
Original fan assembly and spacer: $0
"warning: fan" small shroud with bolts: $0
Heads (need rebuilt): $50

but I could be totally wrong.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »
LOL .... well what is it worth rebuilt? Original 1965 Z code 390. $3000? What's it cost to rebuild it? $1500 to $2000?

I was basing my numbers on what I could find available for sale on ebay, which is not much. I know that's usually overpriced, so I adjusted down a little.

Let's take the radiator, though, for instance. Let's say you are restoring a 1965 BB Ford or Mercury and you want to have a correct original radiator. Where are you going to find one?

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Photo of said motor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arizonaclassiccars/13932086256/

Believe it or not, I can get $200 for those pent-roof valve covers all day long. Hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:03:16 PM by 428Marauder »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude, more so honest based on my own experience selling/giving away parts.

I've parted a few cars and things like the original air cleaner and radiator I tried to *give* away for over two years before i hauled it to the scrap yard.  Same with generators, inertia starters, 2v carburetors, etc etc.  Those are nice valve covers, I've seen them in very good condition selling for a fair price.  If you can sell them for $200 in their present state, I would be thrilled for you.

A massive part of the problem, is if someone already has a 65 Merc 390 car, they most likely already have all the parts you are trying to sell.  To anyone else, the parts hold little value due to them not needing the exact part numbers (ie, no one pays $400 for an autolite 4v core carburetor)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:24:45 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »
First I'll say, a lot depends on where you are located and how lucky you are finding someone who wants it. There are people out there willing to pay $1500 for one of Jay's intake adaptors, anythings possible. Respectfully though, and just my opinion, my estimate would be a lot closer to Drew's. I posted a link on the forum here a while back of a local guy who has the valve covers for sale for $150, he still has them for sale:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/pts/4784318335.html

I have one of the air cleaners also ( actually the 410 Marauder version, same thing ) and yes, the guy gave it to me at the end of the swap meet so he wouldn't have to bring it home.

There are a lot of parts there people need, alternator brackets, pulleys, timing cover, fuel pump eccentric, etc., but it needs to be I.D.'d. Parts that fit a 427 or 428 have more demand, those are the cars that are being restored. That single water pump pulley could be the same as a 427 ( maybe ).

I love the big Merc's, but there just aren't that many people restoring them. Keep in mind Ford sold a million Galaxies a year back then, plus a few hundred thousand Merc's, lots of that stuff still around in some areas of the country.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Ok, well this is the way I look at it.

I bought the car, because I know how hard it is to find the side chrome for that particular car. Looking for that chrome for 5 years and never found it fo sale. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it ... i understand, but it is also impossible to find. I only need one buyer. Course, turns out it is not correct for my convertible. This car has educated me.

Prices I see for old air cleaner assemblys on ebay are all over the place. i am not sure what is valuable, and what is not. So, since The motor is stuck, and I have no experience tearing down an engine ... i figure, let's further the education. Gotta get something for my money. Was hoping I might be left with some things I can sell.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
A local shop told me, "You bring it to me, and pick it up, $1500". So, maybe that's the way to go. Sink $1500 into having it professionally rebuilt and then sell it for $3k.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »
Let me totally rephrase the question:

What is the value of a freshly rebuilt 1965 z code 390, original, down to the carb.

Because, actually, I would like to replace the "powered by ford" valve covers on my Mercury convertible 428 with those valve covers, which I can restore myself. Figure I might as well also work on restoring the air cleaner, then what is it worth? Cleaned up and painted with new decals? Anyone know what that correct burnt orange color is? Same as the block. 1966 Merc 390 is gold, I think.

Point is, i understand that there is not a large demand for a freshly rebuilt, date correct to 1965, down to the tag on the carb, Mercury z code 390 ... but can you find me one for sale? Ok, obviously ... You guys can, but the average guy can't.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:16:18 PM »
Off topic, but a guy actually emailed me with a series of questions, one of which was "how many miles are on the car?" another asked me, "If I bring jumper cables, will it run?" Someone else offered me $50 more than it cost me to have it delivered to Arizona. I admit, I thought the same thing ... I can get that motor to work ... but not this one. Who knows how long it has been sitting and how corroded it is. Needs a complete going through, and I just don't have the space, tools or knowledge to rebuild it myself.

I know you guys have said before you would walk me through it ... i may take you up on that. If I can learn a lot from this, I am OK with it.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:48 PM »
Matter of fact, if I did rebuild the 390, it would make a lot of sense to put it in my 65 Park Lane convertible running a 428 service block right now. Could put the 428 in the fastback and make some wild custom race car with a teardrop hood scoop. Maybe sell the convertible and end up, after 5 years of work, even ... with a new project.

Maybe I should buy an engine stand and rent a cherry picker. I have never pulled an engine before.

Again, not enough space, tools or skills.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:26:19 PM by 428Marauder »

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »
Total noob question, how can I dispose of oil mixed with coolant?

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »
I mean, given the history of the Mercury Marauder in Nascar at the time ... make a 65 tribute, Marauder race car. Requires removing a lot of chrome and stuff, which is rare and hard to find ...so maybe I can sell that stuff to fund the idea.

Just a stripped down, street legal, 65 Montclair fastback, could fit any beast of a motor in it with no problem. I can do the body work to apply a teardrop hood. I have already cut out the rusted lip of the drivers rear weheel well ... passenger side is not as rusted, but could cut it out too and make more room for wider wheels. Forget rolling the fenders ... cut out the lip and make a flush surface with fiberglass and Bondo, instant inch for bigger wheels in the back.

That's what I wanna do ... But again, tools, space, skills, cash ... Restricting my dreams.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
Oh yeah, found out today ... it has a chrome oil pan! Not factory, from the 70,s.

That's gotta be worth, what ... 75 cents?

I'm just kidding, of course. If it's somehow factory .... could be worth what ... $5000 million dollars? Ever heard of a factory 1965 chrome oil pan? Might be the only one that exists!

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:13:24 AM by 428Marauder »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
I'd chalk all of this up to a learning experience and for the sake of spare parts....

I have a 63.5 Galaxie.  I also have most of a 63.5 Galaxie up in the rafters, ie all moulding, chrome, bumpers, good rear sheet metal, fenders, core support, hood, etc.  I basically repaired the front and rear end metal of a car and stored it.  Heaven forbid, I get in a front end accident, I've already got a new front clip to spray paint/bolt on.

Every one of us on this forum has probably bought a fixer upper that we thought was within our skill level only to find later that we're $2,500 over budget for a car that will most likely never run, nor get our investment out of.  It's highly educational :P  Take the time to sell what parts you can (It may very well take years) and store all sortsa extra parts like I listed above.  Storing A-Arms, leaf springs, etc seems crazy until you price new ones.

On another note, please don't value parts by what some people are listing them on ebay for......  Many of us have been surfing ebay for certain parts for years, and sometimes that $400 air filter assembly has been there for 4 years just waiting for a sucker.  Anyway, good luck!

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
I'm a parts hog when I find 'em cheap or close to free, and I'll buy and store stuff that I can't just go out and get if it strikes me even if I don't need it at the time.  Much like Drew's story, I'd rather have it on the shelf and I have picked up entire cars just to take them apart and store.

Reading your posts about which way you might want go and what to do with your Merc(s), it sounds like you really want to bring your project to life.  Personally, I've never had an "investment quality" car, so I've forced myself to look the other way when it comes to the actual value of the car, parts and/or whether I could sell it.

Every time I ever did it took the fun right out of the project for me.  In any event, I hope you are successful however you choose to go.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
...Personally, I've never had an "investment quality" car, so I've forced myself to look the other way when it comes to the actual value of the car, parts and/or whether I could sell it....

This has been my old car situation and philosophy for years...and I suspect is not at all uncommon amongst the majority of enthusiasts.
Michael

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I have a nice complete 65 390 SuperMarauder that I pulled out of the crunched Merc last summer, cherry valve covers, the air cleaner, trans, power brake booster and master, radiator and all, for $100- some parts I can use, but other than the VC's, a definite snoozer- just a good 390-4V core

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »
I just ran across a complete 66 410 engine and trans less carb and aircleaner  and I`m sure I`ll get it in a week or so. value of the crank is worth the price I`m going to pay for it. If epayed it would have been three time the asking price. Hey Lenze nobodies gonna beat Hamburg in the snowfall contest this season!

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »
Bold words GJ, it ain't even February yet ;)

428M, sorry to get this thread off track a bit but do check Meangene's post.  The $$$ can be very reasonable if you aren't in a hurry.  You could score a runner on the cheap and tear down the froze motor for a future rebuild or just to save what's good for later.  As far as skills go everything you need to know is on you tube or right here for the asking.  All you need to yank that anchor is a cherry picker, some common tools and a hunk or 2 of wood to roll it on if you don't have a concrete floor or a way to push the Merc out from under once you've got the engine up.  From what I gather you've got nowhere to go but up on this project, once you start you may surprise yourself on what you can accomplish for reasonable dough and what you will learn along the way.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
You can rent cherry pickers.....  and anything is possible with some energy.
I've pulled an engine out of a car with a stock F150 screw jack, some 2x4's, and a tree limb (not proud of it, just showing that it is possible)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
A local shop told me, "You bring it to me, and pick it up, $1500". So, maybe that's the way to go. Sink $1500 into having it professionally rebuilt and then sell it for $3k.
Don't do that deal. It will end badly for you.

You old shade tree Drew. ;D
A good branch and a come along.
My plan has always been buy high and never sell anything.
That's probably why I have piles of junk. ::)

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

You old shade tree Drew. ;D
A good branch and a come along.
My plan has always been buy high and never sell anything.
That's probably why I have piles of junk. ::)
[/quote]

Just reminded me of one of my winter rides.  Rolled a rotted '62 chevy truck over with a tractor to dump out the 292 6 banger, drug the thing into the barn on an old hood with a chain and stuck it into my $75 '60 Bel-Air.  Ah, the memories.. ;D
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
Come along?  had no idea what that was, I'd jack up the whole front end of the car, attach the engine to the tree limb and lower the car with the screw jack.... wallaa!  engine removal on a budget.  Back when a transmission jack was actually a dude named Jack, he'd drop the tranny on his chest and scream, "Quick!!! pull my legs."  Back when I didn't even know what concrete was........

Times have changed tho, I've got a 1500 sq ft pad of concrete and a shop, now I'm upper lower class.  I still roll around the trailer park in my 76 f100, wearing a tracksuit and gold chains while tellin all the lil hunnies "It aint changed me none"

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
Since were kinda off topic a little, I have a story that tops both. 20 plus years ago my buddies dad pulled the 289 out of their maverick. He unhooked everything, bent over and pulled it out. By hand. Then carried it up the driveway, and told my buddy to hurry up and open the door, it was getting heavy! He set it on the picnic table and they rebuilt it there. True story. He was 6' 6" and maybe 400 lbs and hard as old iron.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Come along?  had no idea what that was, I'd jack up the whole front end of the car, attach the engine to the tree limb and lower the car with the screw jack.... wallaa!  engine removal on a budget.  Back when a transmission jack was actually a dude named Jack, he'd drop the tranny on his chest and scream, "Quick!!! pull my legs."  Back when I didn't even know what concrete was........

Times have changed tho, I've got a 1500 sq ft pad of concrete and a shop, now I'm upper lower class.  I still roll around the trailer park in my 76 f100, wearing a tracksuit and gold chains while tellin all the lil hunnies "It aint changed me none"

LMAO!!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Since were kinda off topic a little, I have a story that tops both. 20 plus years ago my buddies dad pulled the 289 out of their maverick. He unhooked everything, bent over and pulled it out. By hand. Then carried it up the driveway, and told my buddy to hurry up and open the door, it was getting heavy! He set it on the picnic table and they rebuilt it there. True story. He was 6' 6" and maybe 400 lbs and hard as old iron.

I pulled that one out with an excavator- first you hook the radiator support with the bucket teeth, and give yourself another foot of clearance, then while it's hooked on the bucket, raise it up and throw a couple log rounds underneath- comes right out  8)

I had a buddy like yours, looked just like Ben Davidson and at least as big, "Butch". He had a 70 340 Duster and a a hopped 750 Honda- I saw him pick up the Honda and put it in the Duster trunk one day. So that winter, he decides the Duster engine needs a R&B job, so he pulls the heads, unbolts the trans, and reaches in over the fender and grabs the 340 shortblock out of there- never even stopped talking. Nobody ever f#*ked with Butch much :-X

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
A buddy of mine bought a Rambler flat 6 car for the motor. They were a bolt in on old jeeps, We unbolted the motor and then decided to get the motor out we couldn`t lift it out with the old ford tractor with the flinsy frt loader. Idea! lets tip the car on its side, we did and the motor rolls right out! Lands on the ground and does`nt hurt it a bit. Next step get rid of the car, junk yard is down the street so he ties a rope to it and to his dads truck, I get to drive the car. Now he goes down the road with me In tow and the rope brakes I`m really moving and step on the brakes OH OH no brakes nothing to do but pass him. You should have seen the look on his face as I went by him waving. I get to the yard and turn into it pass the shed where the owner is and sail into the yard aways. needles to say I get chewed out for not stopping and checking in first! Boy the things we did when we were 17.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
I apologize for my rambling. I can be manic sometimes, but that doesn't make me a bad person.

So, anyway, whatever the value of these parts are, I am Ok with just squirelling them away with my other stuff. I have an original 1967 428 Super Marauder air cleaner assembly, and the decal is old and faded ... but it's original. Worth at least $500 to me, prolly not really for sale. So, fine, I take a bath in this car, but I am gonna get some good, old original parts, that maybe down the line I can trade or something. Some of them I can use on my 65 convertible. Like, just to have the rare stuff like the original window washer pump, good to have for posterity. To have the date correct carb, valve covers, air cleaner assembly, etc. to go along with my convertible Park Lane, adds value, since I put a 428 in it. And when I say "paid" .... crack head had my car for 6 months. I learned my lesson there. Shop I have lined up right now is reputable. Knows I have been waiting a long time, about to pay the guy $400 to do a tranny swap because I can't do it on my own. Not in the space I have, on gravel, and with my bad back.

Anyone in the Tucson area want a free C6 trans? If you got the tools and the skills, I will drive my car to your place and help you swap the trans out with my spare. You keep the semi-working trans in there now and I will pay you $100. Works well enough that I can drive it over with the spare trans in the trunk. Been on this guys waiting list since November.

Also ... love your stories, about yanking engines and stuff. More stories is always good in my book!

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:23 AM »
One time, my brother was driving this VW bug to work, and the engine caught fire. Fuel leak, fire, belt broke. So, he had like some bubble gum and panyhose or something MacGiverish like that, and he fixed the car and drove it to work, and was only 5 minutes late.

And one time I was driving a 1995 Jeep Wrangler from Seattle to Humboldt, CA, to visit my uncle, who lives like in the boonies, and grows pot, on a small scale, for a living. Some of the people around there get paranoid. Anyway, I was about half way there, manual, 5 speed Jeep and I felt my brakes going. Sure enough, not long later, foot to the floor, zero brakes and I am going 80 MPH on the I5. I never even stopped or pulled over, or called anyone, made it to my uncle's house in record time. A brake line had been rubbing and caused a small hole that leaked all the fluid.

Some people, I tell them that story, "You are crazy!" there's no red lights on the highway. I didn't need to stop. Manual transmission, light traffic. No brakes, no problem.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:16:13 AM by 428Marauder »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:28 AM »
Here`s another story... a yr ago at the Erie Roar On the Shore I road my Harley into downtown Erie to watch the bikes come in from the casino and at on of the red lights I noticed the clutch did`nt fell right. I parked it with the rest of my buddies and partied on. When I went to leave the clutch felt half way disengaged. Two block later NO CLUTCH. I had 4 more red lights to get through to get out of the city. Ever timed red lights? Igot lucky and got home 33 miles. The throwout brg had disintergrated.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
I had a 65 falcon winter rat that I drove a 100mi. commute every day. the fuel pump quit on the interstate so I needed to improvise. the trunk looked like a landfill, so I started digging. I came up with a empty antifreeze jug which I could fill with gas by pulling the hose off the pump. I plugged the end with a rubber bushing from old shocks. Stuck a piece if copper tubing into that, & had enough of hose to reach the carb from setting the jug atop the battery. I kept waiting for a raging fire, but drove that falcon home. and then there was the time......................
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
back to the regular scheduled program. I would pull the engine & tear it down. if you are lucky the stuck piston will be up & you can pull the crank. at leasrt with the heads off, you can soak it with penetrating oil & maybe get it free. A lot of times when these sit along time, the head gaskets rust thru & fill the cyl. with coolent, then rust ugly. I had a set of those valve covers & junked them. dammit.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

chris401

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
Oh yeah, found out today ... it has a chrome oil pan! Not factory, from the 70,s.

That's gotta be worth, what ... 75 cents?

I'm just kidding, of course. If it's somehow factory .... could be worth what ... $5000 million dollars? Ever heard of a factory 1965 chrome oil pan? Might be the only one that exists!

:wink:
Link to price guide. www.network54.com/Forum/75943/search?searchterm=&sort=match