Author Topic: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?  (Read 16658 times)

428Marauder

• View Profile
Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
Hi,

I picked up a 65 Mercury Montclair Marauder a few months back and I find myself unable to sell it. I need $3k to break even and I value the chrome parts at about $1000. The motor is frozen and it seems that concerns people even more than not having a motor at all. It is the original 390 4bbl, complete down to the tag on the carb. So, I started doing some math, and I made some estimates:

Original 4bbl carb with tag: $400
Pent-roof Mercury valve covers: $200
390 "Super Marauder" air cleaner assembly (needs resto): $250
Original 1965 radiator (likely needs re-core): $250
Original fan assembly and spacer: $150
"warning: fan" small shroud with bolts: $50
Heads (need rebuilt): $200

Does this sound about right? What are other engine bay parts that might have value? Carb linkage? Kickdown linkage?

Thanks.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Value of 390 Super Marauder engine parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »
So you essentially want $1000 for a frozen engine but without the shortblock?

my own experience is more like this:

Original 4bbl carb with tag: $50
Pent-roof Mercury valve covers: $75
390 "Super Marauder" air cleaner assembly (needs resto): $0
Original 1965 radiator (likely needs re-core): scrap value is $18
Original fan assembly and spacer: $0
"warning: fan" small shroud with bolts: $0
Heads (need rebuilt): $50

but I could be totally wrong.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »
LOL .... well what is it worth rebuilt? Original 1965 Z code 390. $3000? What's it cost to rebuild it? $1500 to $2000?

I was basing my numbers on what I could find available for sale on ebay, which is not much. I know that's usually overpriced, so I adjusted down a little.

Let's take the radiator, though, for instance. Let's say you are restoring a 1965 BB Ford or Mercury and you want to have a correct original radiator. Where are you going to find one?

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Photo of said motor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arizonaclassiccars/13932086256/

Believe it or not, I can get $200 for those pent-roof valve covers all day long. Hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:03:16 PM by 428Marauder »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude, more so honest based on my own experience selling/giving away parts.

I've parted a few cars and things like the original air cleaner and radiator I tried to *give* away for over two years before i hauled it to the scrap yard.  Same with generators, inertia starters, 2v carburetors, etc etc.  Those are nice valve covers, I've seen them in very good condition selling for a fair price.  If you can sell them for $200 in their present state, I would be thrilled for you.

A massive part of the problem, is if someone already has a 65 Merc 390 car, they most likely already have all the parts you are trying to sell.  To anyone else, the parts hold little value due to them not needing the exact part numbers (ie, no one pays $400 for an autolite 4v core carburetor)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:24:45 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »
First I'll say, a lot depends on where you are located and how lucky you are finding someone who wants it. There are people out there willing to pay $1500 for one of Jay's intake adaptors, anythings possible. Respectfully though, and just my opinion, my estimate would be a lot closer to Drew's. I posted a link on the forum here a while back of a local guy who has the valve covers for sale for $150, he still has them for sale:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/pts/4784318335.html

I have one of the air cleaners also ( actually the 410 Marauder version, same thing ) and yes, the guy gave it to me at the end of the swap meet so he wouldn't have to bring it home.

There are a lot of parts there people need, alternator brackets, pulleys, timing cover, fuel pump eccentric, etc., but it needs to be I.D.'d. Parts that fit a 427 or 428 have more demand, those are the cars that are being restored. That single water pump pulley could be the same as a 427 ( maybe ).

I love the big Merc's, but there just aren't that many people restoring them. Keep in mind Ford sold a million Galaxies a year back then, plus a few hundred thousand Merc's, lots of that stuff still around in some areas of the country.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Ok, well this is the way I look at it.

I bought the car, because I know how hard it is to find the side chrome for that particular car. Looking for that chrome for 5 years and never found it fo sale. It's worth whatever someone will pay for it ... i understand, but it is also impossible to find. I only need one buyer. Course, turns out it is not correct for my convertible. This car has educated me.

Prices I see for old air cleaner assemblys on ebay are all over the place. i am not sure what is valuable, and what is not. So, since The motor is stuck, and I have no experience tearing down an engine ... i figure, let's further the education. Gotta get something for my money. Was hoping I might be left with some things I can sell.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
A local shop told me, "You bring it to me, and pick it up, $1500". So, maybe that's the way to go. Sink $1500 into having it professionally rebuilt and then sell it for $3k.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »
Let me totally rephrase the question:

What is the value of a freshly rebuilt 1965 z code 390, original, down to the carb.

Because, actually, I would like to replace the "powered by ford" valve covers on my Mercury convertible 428 with those valve covers, which I can restore myself. Figure I might as well also work on restoring the air cleaner, then what is it worth? Cleaned up and painted with new decals? Anyone know what that correct burnt orange color is? Same as the block. 1966 Merc 390 is gold, I think.

Point is, i understand that there is not a large demand for a freshly rebuilt, date correct to 1965, down to the tag on the carb, Mercury z code 390 ... but can you find me one for sale? Ok, obviously ... You guys can, but the average guy can't.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:16:18 PM »
Off topic, but a guy actually emailed me with a series of questions, one of which was "how many miles are on the car?" another asked me, "If I bring jumper cables, will it run?" Someone else offered me $50 more than it cost me to have it delivered to Arizona. I admit, I thought the same thing ... I can get that motor to work ... but not this one. Who knows how long it has been sitting and how corroded it is. Needs a complete going through, and I just don't have the space, tools or knowledge to rebuild it myself.

I know you guys have said before you would walk me through it ... i may take you up on that. If I can learn a lot from this, I am OK with it.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:48 PM »
Matter of fact, if I did rebuild the 390, it would make a lot of sense to put it in my 65 Park Lane convertible running a 428 service block right now. Could put the 428 in the fastback and make some wild custom race car with a teardrop hood scoop. Maybe sell the convertible and end up, after 5 years of work, even ... with a new project.

Maybe I should buy an engine stand and rent a cherry picker. I have never pulled an engine before.

Again, not enough space, tools or skills.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:26:19 PM by 428Marauder »

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »
Total noob question, how can I dispose of oil mixed with coolant?

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »
I mean, given the history of the Mercury Marauder in Nascar at the time ... make a 65 tribute, Marauder race car. Requires removing a lot of chrome and stuff, which is rare and hard to find ...so maybe I can sell that stuff to fund the idea.

Just a stripped down, street legal, 65 Montclair fastback, could fit any beast of a motor in it with no problem. I can do the body work to apply a teardrop hood. I have already cut out the rusted lip of the drivers rear weheel well ... passenger side is not as rusted, but could cut it out too and make more room for wider wheels. Forget rolling the fenders ... cut out the lip and make a flush surface with fiberglass and Bondo, instant inch for bigger wheels in the back.

That's what I wanna do ... But again, tools, space, skills, cash ... Restricting my dreams.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
Oh yeah, found out today ... it has a chrome oil pan! Not factory, from the 70,s.

That's gotta be worth, what ... 75 cents?

I'm just kidding, of course. If it's somehow factory .... could be worth what ... $5000 million dollars? Ever heard of a factory 1965 chrome oil pan? Might be the only one that exists!

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:13:24 AM by 428Marauder »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
I'd chalk all of this up to a learning experience and for the sake of spare parts....

I have a 63.5 Galaxie.  I also have most of a 63.5 Galaxie up in the rafters, ie all moulding, chrome, bumpers, good rear sheet metal, fenders, core support, hood, etc.  I basically repaired the front and rear end metal of a car and stored it.  Heaven forbid, I get in a front end accident, I've already got a new front clip to spray paint/bolt on.

Every one of us on this forum has probably bought a fixer upper that we thought was within our skill level only to find later that we're $2,500 over budget for a car that will most likely never run, nor get our investment out of.  It's highly educational :P  Take the time to sell what parts you can (It may very well take years) and store all sortsa extra parts like I listed above.  Storing A-Arms, leaf springs, etc seems crazy until you price new ones.

On another note, please don't value parts by what some people are listing them on ebay for......  Many of us have been surfing ebay for certain parts for years, and sometimes that $400 air filter assembly has been there for 4 years just waiting for a sucker.  Anyway, good luck!