Author Topic: Jay or Barry or Others. Need help choosing proper header size for a 482  (Read 13938 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Getting to the point I need to build headers for my 66 f100.

482"
Tunnel Wedge and carbs from Barry
10.41 comp
Heads are also from Barry CNC'd Edels

Cam was made for a stock 427 Cuber so a bit small and may need to upgrade. Suggestions for cam also. Its a Solid Roller

As long as I am having to build headers from scratch I want to be in the ballpark with tube size and length and also collector size and length

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Jay or Barry or Others. Need help choosing proper header size for a 482
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:05 AM »
If it was me, me would just get a set of them truck headers Jay used in his book/test.
They made the most power and where the cheapest. :P

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:59:26 AM »
The heads will fit a 2" pipe nicely - and its a good size for the cubic inch and application.  I have found primary pipe size to be less critical than one might suspect as long as you're within a rational range.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:04:52 AM »
check out Headers by Ed:  http://www.headersbyed.com/__ford.htm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:07:18 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
The heads will fit a 2" pipe nicely - and its a good size for the cubic inch and application.  I have found primary pipe size to be less critical than one might suspect as long as you're within a rational range.

Thanks All!

Barry, where is a good place to start with tube length and collector length? I know on this application it may not be that important but would like to be at least in the ballpark.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
ordered a box of misc 2" mandrel bends, collectors etc

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »

Barry, What cam would you recommend for this combo?  When the current cam was chosen it was for 427 Cubes and much more mild. It will most likely never see a drag strip and getting a bit old for something that is hard to drive. A nice solid roller street cam.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
What's in it now?

Personally, if a mild cam and a street runner truck, I'd go with a small tube and maybe leave the cam.  With that being said, my high 240's, 110 LSA, .600 lift is very mellow in a 489 and although I think a good 2 inch header would be better, is a monster with regular old street Hookers
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »
Current is a Cam Research Solid Roller

.588 I & E
232~236 @ .050
104 Intake
108 Exhaust

.050 IVO 12 Closes 40
.050 EVO 46 Closes 10

It was done for a basically stock bore stroke 427 with only mods a small header and the tunnel wedge setup

fe66comet

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
D627 Doug's

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
How do you intend to use it?  My 445 is pretty similar to that and its good in a 4x4 with an NP435.  If you shifted under 5500, I wouldn't change anything and just buy a set of 1 3/4 off the shelf headers. Although I think that 104 intake is pretty early for so much compression, you may have to roll it back to 108 ICL if its fussy on fuel, it's a decent cam

Otherwise, assuming a rear gear steeper than 3.50, not too much tire and a decent converter, I'd probably shift upwards a little but big single plane and good heads, not sure you need to cam it that much.

My wag would be something around 288 advertised intake, 292 or so exhaust, low 240s for .050, 110 LSA on 106 ICL, keep the lift under .600 for the street.

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:20 PM »
How do you intend to use it?  My 445 is pretty similar to that and its good in a 4x4 with an NP435.  If you shifted under 5500, I wouldn't change anything and just buy a set of 1 3/4 off the shelf headers. Although I think that 104 intake is pretty early for so much compression, you may have to roll it back to 108 ICL if its fussy on fuel, it's a decent cam

Otherwise, assuming a rear gear steeper than 3.50, not too much tire and a decent converter, I'd probably shift upwards a little but big single plane and good heads, not sure you need to cam it that much.

My wag would be something around 288 advertised intake, 292 or so exhaust, low 240s for .050, 110 LSA on 106 ICL, keep the lift under .600 for the street.

Hot street, cruise night maybe a trip to the chassis dyno for curiosity sake.

I do have a 3:50 gear. Tires most likely will be the 285-40/18 that I already have. A pretty sticky when warm. Goodyear Supercar Tire Bought them cheap

I will worry about breaking a axle as for now they are stock 28 spline. Just want it to have a bit of rhump to it,

I do have power brakes. Truck will be pretty light for a truck. Expecting 3500lb or less

I do have a set of 1 3/4" truck headers which are new but the ports are pretty far off. I do not like the exit point as too close to crossmemeber. Its been a while since I made a set of headers, one of those things I wanted to build my own. Expecting it to take around 40hrs to do.

I do have a nice Billet converter and its a 2400 unit built for my estimated HP etc
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:50:24 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
Well, going with a better matching header is good.  I don't think you need a lot of primary pipe, but like Barry said just hit the mark close.  I think I'd go 2 inch if doing all the work.  I don't like those short collectors either, my 445 has them.

As far as the cam, if it's a hydraulic block, you could consider a nice hydraulic roller and just go a little bigger, but you really aren't that far off.  Good breathing heads and intake and plenty of lift will let a cam hang in there a lot longer than if that cam was in an iron head/dual plane and your setup should like more or less what you have now. 

I am not sure what your advertised numbers are but my hunch is the truck would be a little happier on fuel with the current cam straight up (108 ICL) and power would hang in there slightly longer.  Could even run the lash on the tight side, but in the end it doesn't sound too bad to me and would save you money to just rock it back. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:56:28 PM by My427stang »
Ross

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »
Since your intent on making your own headers, wich is way cool 8), can you give them a nice straight shot out of the port? Maybe over the frame fenderwell style like the old l and l 429 headers? Sure you would pick up some ponies right there.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
Well, going with a better matching header is good.  I don't think you need a lot of primary pipe, but like Barry said just hit the mark close.  I think I'd go 2 inch if doing all the work.  I don't like those short collectors either, my 445 has them.

As far as the cam, if it's a hydraulic block, you could consider a nice hydraulic roller and just go a little bigger, but you really aren't that far off.  Good breathing heads and intake and plenty of lift will let a cam hang in there a lot longer than if that cam was in an iron head/dual plane and your setup should like more or less what you have now. 

I am not sure what your advertised numbers are but my hunch is the truck would be a little happier on fuel with the current cam straight up (108 ICL) and power would hang in there slightly longer.  Could even run the lash on the tight side, but in the end it doesn't sound too bad to me and would save you money to just rock it back.

Thanks to all for the input!

I had a bone stock medium riser standard bore the only addition was the tunnel wedge and BT BU carbs.

I then sold the NOS BT BU carbs and bought a pair from Barry

Went with a Genesis Block
Barry's CNC'd Edelbrock Heads
4.25 x 4.25 Crank
Diamond Pistons etc
10.41 Comp
And Yeah I did a bit of port work on the NOS Tunnel Wedge Intake Thinking I would pick up worth while power

The cam was for the bone stock 427 so that is why I asked. If I were to change it, now would be the time as I have to pull the front clip to do the headers. (had to assemble so I could move it across country)

Advertised on cam is 288 ~ ~ 292  Lobe lift .340
Lobe Separation 106

It would have worked great probably in the stock bore stock heads 427

I am getting OLD so I wanted something I could just drop in gear and not worry about being too hard to drive.
Tight converter and a 3.50 gear

2" primary is what I ordered in case I want to get a bit more out of it.

I do not see myself going to far from home with this truck. Typical would be 20-25 miles one way tops. Just to a car show, scottsdale pavilions.

My long distance runner~daily driver will be the '66 with the TT 3.5L EcoBoost with a few luxuries.

This 427 truck I may make a few laps at GoodGuys event for giggles but that will be the extent of it.

Would love to drive it or haul it to Knotts show in Cali tho. Never been there but always wanted to go.

Initial plan was to take both trucks to SEMA  . . .