Author Topic: Stalling/Vapor lock issues  (Read 15411 times)

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
Re: Stalling/Vapor lock issues
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »
It was just a generic one. Was running at 12 PSI.

Thats why you had the problems that you did. You needed a fuel pressure regulator up near the carb and set it for 6~8psi. 12 is way too much for any needle and seat on a carb. JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
Yeah, thats why I decided to just go back to a mechanical pump.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
JUST make sure your fuel line is away the hot motor , and intake .. you can insulate your fuel line as well , and phenoic spacer is available thru summit or even at local parts stores and they keep the carb insulated from manifold heat .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
Plus 1 to all the above.  When my engine's cold my in line pressure gauge bounces between 7 and 3 psi with every stroke of the pump.  At that rate my carb has never had issues, your 428 should run fine there.  12 PSI sounds like an early GM TBI pressure, I'd stick with mechanical 'till you get it sorted out since you already have the parts.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Gee, I'm repeating an old post of mine from other Forums! Crack the gas cap immediately after it stalls. If you get a big whoosh, it's a form of vapor lock from lack of gas tank venting.  To double check, remove the cap, tape off the tank's fill tube completely with duct tape and punch a small 1/8"  hole in the tape. Drive it and see if stalling goes away.  If so, it's the factory steel vent tube under the car is blocked, if so equipped, or the gas cap isn't vented.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:06:35 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
Yeah you can check your vent as well , on other question is doe s your gas have 10 percent or more ethanol in it ? ..Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:03 AM »
I'm not sure the ethanol percentage in AZ.

But I did reroute the fuel line that was resting on the intake below the spark plug wires to above the wires and so far, so good.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »
If your fuel line was actually resting on the intake the re-route was a must.  Even if it doesn't solve the issue its a big step in the right direction to control incoming fuel temp.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

runthatjunk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
I had some very similar symptoms that I fought for quite a while, ended up being 3" section of hose that connects fuel tank to hard line going to front.  Hose was original with no exterior cracking but had crack on inside of hose going under clamp.  Sucking just enough air to cause issues.  I had thought it was heat related because it had started almost immediately after a new exhaust installation.
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 01:20:08 AM »
Amazing. It may be the aluminum radiator and replacement factory fan ... but no, she was still stalling out.

That was it. Re-routing the fuel line so it was not resting on the intake. Took me five minutes ... fix a problem I've been battling for years. Good news is, new fuel pump, new fan, new radiator, new voltage regulator, alternator, water pump, battery ... everything is new on it ... and it just runs like a champ. I tell ya. There's no replacement for displacement. We'll see if I can drive her in 110 degree Arizona heat ... that's the real test. Anyone try Watter Wetter?

Also I put in some 89 octane gas. In Arizona it can be up to 10% ethanol.

This is a ribbed service block 428 with a 1U stamped crank. You could call it a Cobra Jet ... with mild, pretty standard heads. My first FE, but I am an old Ford guy. Been harder than I thought. Does not like heat. If she gets too hot, she starts puking trans fluid out of the front seal.

I added a trans cooler, as well, but so far the aluminum radiator is performing really well, despite the fact that it doesn't fit perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:59:52 AM by 428Marauder »

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Yes ive used water wetter before and it did help , glad you got it sorted out and todays gas does not like heat much , but just do every thing you can to help .. Bud

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Good news 428 :D- A car that doesn't stall along with all the new pieces should make it fun to cruise.  On the water (or coolant?), some thoughts-  Are you running a closed system with recovery?  How's the cap, holding pressure?  Thermostat?  A missing thermostat allows the coolant to circulate too quickly and doesn't give the radiator time to do it's job.  Even a high quality aluminum radiator can fall behind if the flow isn't properly regulated.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
This is a ribbed service block 428 with a 1U stamped crank. You could call it a Cobra Jet ... with mild, pretty standard heads. My first FE, but I am an old Ford guy. Been harder than I thought. Does not like heat. If she gets too hot, she starts puking trans fluid out of the front seal.
We could call it a 428 cj.  Or.... we could just call it a highly overbored FE with a 428 crankshaft that overheats at the drop of a hat.  Either way.

Few other thoughts worth mentioning, heat help here in the deep south.
1. Best and biggest carb spacer you can fit
2. block exhaust crossover in intake
3. Don't mount your coil on top of the intake.  It'll get smokin hot and heat soaked in no time (makes it hard to start hot as well).  Mount it in front of the driver side head if you can.