Author Topic: Just got the new Hot Rod today and am I pissed  (Read 11887 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Just got the new Hot Rod today and am I pissed
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
Whoa!  I was going to recommend a mid-70's Monza for a base platform ( ::)if memory serves, these were constructed mainly from recycled tinfoil and weighed in at about 9 pounds) but the camaro would definitely earn more style points. 

The camaro would also likely send some of the more hard core chevy guys straight to therapy though.  They are used to seeing their brand in everything, but I'm pretty sure a cammer in any camaro would be a mortal sin.   
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
So if a MII is such a POS, they why do we care if some one sticks a scrub in it? It's not like anyone is molesting a rare and valuable car, 95% of them are going to be crushed for scrap in the next 20 years anyway.
And its not like Overhauling snuck in and dropped 20's and a scrub into YOUR car. THe owners did it on their own stuff, so why get ruffled?

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
We're not talking Mustang 11's here we're talking Fox chassi and the sn 95's which are very easy to swap in darn near any good ford power plant. There are some things that are just not right. If you would show up at a drag strip with a 67 camaro with a BBF in it you would have guys actually very angry at you. You might even get your car keyed. Yet they think it is very proper to put damn near anything they want in the fox chassi and the newer ones. I had my fill of that stuff with the street rod guys that a SBF would not fit then. I would go to a show and there would be older fords with BBC, Hemi's and damn near anything else. I would bring that up to a good friend of mine and he would just shrug his shoulders and laugh. Yes I am still pissed and ain't planning on getting over it. >:(

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
And yet, when you think about it, sticking what you want into whatever you want is what got us here in the first place.  We happen to belong to a group that says let's get I done FE style in a Ford, and you can bet your hindquarters that there's strength and encouragement in numbers.  I am happy to be a part of this forum, my first car was a '69 390 LTD. I grew up on a farm, we made what we needed as we went and I genuinely appreciate the tech I've gained here.  Hell, this is Erie PA and I just saw a '67 Mercury for sale in a front yard that I couldn't get into, owner wasn't home.  So, I'm driving around with a basket of mushy apples I bought at a roadside stand in Northeast (a little burg just north and east of Erie) looking for a way to get under the hood.  It's in your blood, no way around it.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
We have been a Ford family since Fordson tractors became an economical alternative to horses.....and we are not big fans of bowtie powered Fords.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
I can't abide it. It shits me too.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
I'm not a big fan of hybrid swaps either but it shouldn't surprise anyone, LS is what the aftermarket has staked its future on.  They make relatively cheap power and are an easy swap. 

Drag Week, in any case, has pretty much lost its lustre for me as something worth following, too much emphasis and coverage on unlimited class and bucks-up machines.  Although I can see that it's great fun for the participants.

What revs me up these days are the Nostalgia Super Stock events, 422 Motorsports et al, which HRM doesn't seem to cover much if at all.  Lots of cool old FE-powered machines in action.

My Hot Rod subscription renewal is hanging by a thread at this point.   
Michael

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
Phil,
does this make you  feel better?

Don't know about Phil but it made me feel better .... lol ....... I agree with Jay , the 79 to 95 Mustang is a fabulous race car , I'm just from the wrong era to love those models

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »
If you guys complaining about M-II's were hot rodders, it would seem you could easily fix anything that Ford left deficient  ;D.

This is from back in the dark ages, around 1985 when everybody knew that 351W's and C4 auto's were not good.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
A gentleman around here used to bracket race a bright red early 80's Corvette, and it ran easy 10.50's or better- no decals or obvious stuff, and maybe 10" slicks. Saw him running at Sears Point one Wednesday night (before the mufflers rule), and watched a couple Chebbrainwashed kids with a 396 Chebbelle walk over to him and ask him why his car was so much faster and louder than theirs- so he opened the hood and showed them the 2x4V High Riser- coulda put a bowling ball in their open mouths
I still have the deep rear sump pan off that car out in the shop

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
Gene,

now is the time to build a C4 Corvette racecar. Worn out ones sell for less than an old  Ford Taurus and have some great chassis potential if the computer strangled engine is somehow bypassed. I think it could be great fun to take all the electronics out of one of them and simply use the chassis like a kit car.