Author Topic: Just got the new Hot Rod today and am I pissed  (Read 11889 times)

57yblock

• View Profile
Just got the new Hot Rod today and am I pissed
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »
What is wrong with these knuckleheads with putting there goofy brand X motors in damn near every ford product you can think of. Don't they know anybody that knows how to build a ford engine in there areas? And don't give me any of that shit that they are so cheap to build compared to a ford either as most of the ones I saw were VERY high buck engines. I have said this before the cheapest to build up to 450 hp is the bbf 385 series. After that to 750 it is probably the bbc but not by much, after that it is a wash. 1200 or so hp is going to cost 20,000.00 or so regardless of what you build or have built for you. A coyote crate engine is 420 hp as it comes from ford and is very accepting for a blower as it comes from ford for up to 1000hp they say. The small block ford blocks are very close to the same cost as the brand X when you get to the Dart ones and the others. And heads are a wash too. I am so damn pissed tonight I can hardly think. Am I missing something here ? Come on guys tell me. Jay's Galaxy as heavy as it is went very well and won. And we know that was with a cammer which is a rare and I might add expensive engine, but it went like crazy in that heavy aerodynamic Galaxy. Am I remembering right that it made about 900 hp? That ain't too hard to do with a 385 series engine for less than 15,000.00. And that's with the same type cylinder as the stockers. Think Kasse P 51's. They are about 1400.00 apiece bare then the valves are the same price as the brand  X stuff. You know what I am getting at.

Joe-jdc

Re: Just got the new Hot Rod today and am I pissed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Ted Eaton has built several Y-blocks that made over 500 hp, with one making 585/503tq., NA.  There is no reason to install anything else in a Y-block car anymore with the heads and intakes available in aluminum.  Joe-JDC.

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I know that Joe as I have met Ted and he is a real thinker and a nice guy by the way. I did miss quote in my rant as the 1400.00 price i mentioned are for a pair not apiece. Maybe yhey are more now but the Cobrajet second design that I have on my car (Kasse design) were around 1400.00 bare bought from a BBF forum vendor.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:06:47 AM »
I think the problem is that the brand X guys have seen what great race cars the late model Mustangs are, so they take the engines that they are familiar with and stuff them in those cars.  There is a lot of room under the hood of those cars for pretty much any engine you can think of.  I kind of agree with your point, Phil, and I hope Hot Rod comes to that same conclusion and at least sets up some of the class rules in the future so that the cars have to run with an engine combination that they were originally equipped with.  But on the other hand, engine swaps are a time honored hot rodding tradition, and the point of Drag Week is to go fast, so Mustang body/chassis + Chevrolet engine is a popular combination.

I should probably build a later model Mustang like that, just to get the weight advantage.  But they are so damned ugly LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »
How about an SN95 with a high riser Jay? I myself love the look of a 79 thru 93 coupe with just the right stance. And you can get them down below 3000 lbs quite easy. :) The fuel injected cammer would really fly with that in it and be VERY original that's for sure.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »

"I should probably build a later model Mustang like that, just to get the weight advantage.  But they are so damned ugly LOL!"

I had pretty much the same reaction as 57yblock with a couple of sighs thrown in when I got my copy of Hot Rod.  Had to get all the way to N/A small block to see a Ford/Ford setup win.  But there again, it was in the Mustang.  Going on a 600 lb. diet and trading in your good looks for ugly might have a big impact on the anything but a Ford into a Ford trend.

And, in my opinion that big wedge poking up through the hood of an SN95 might cure that case of damnable ugliness ;D
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
Yes, adding an LS engine to a Mustang (say '85-93, and even newer ones) has become a tragedy!

I'll admit that here in the Chi-town area some really clean early 'Stangs (some race prepped, some not) can be had mighty cheap. Would love to see Jay (hint!) add a Cammer or even a hot straight valve FE to say a lightweight, stripped down 88-93 LX hatchback and see it fly.
Bob Maag

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Ugly late model Mustangs?
Yes I actually drove this Stang in public when it was considered late model.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
I hate to say it, but I actually like the looks of the 74-78 Mustang II fastbacks more than the later cars.  I have just never paid attention to the 79 through 2004 Mustangs, except to grab a pair of Recaro seats out of one in a junkyard back in the 1980s.

So, now that my ignorance is established, what is an SN95?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »
It's merely the moniker for 1994 through 2004 Mustangs where the platform changed quite a bit from the earlier Fox bodied Mustang platform.  Nice cars but the Fox 'Stangs are lighter and still a tad more popular with the race crowd (cheap and light).

http://www.sn95forums.com/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:16:16 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Gee, guys---

I've never seen an UGLY Ford!

I had a '79 Pace Car new, and before I was done with it, I'd installed a DCOE 45 Weber carb, a Reed cam, a boost controller so I had more than 20 pounds of boost available, a header, and a 'spray' set-up. It was a 'vette eater and GREAT fun.

If you go over to Yellowbullet, you'll find many of what I call the 'Mullett Brigade' that have their heads so far into their rectums as to believe that the ideal combination is a Mustang chassis with a junkyard ls engine. Some there seem to be able to claim, with a straight face, that a cam change into a boneyard ls engine will run in the 9s. That kind of dumbness just HAS to be good for those of us who approach hot-rodding with our heads on straight.

It's easy to lose track of the fact that there are very few engine designs that can be built ENTIRELY of aftermarket parts. The FE is one of the few!

KS

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Interesting that the M II front suspension layout has become standard Hot Rod fare along with the 9" rear... I saw an early Mustang at the local Coffee and Cars meet last week with an ls; I just kept walking!

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Come to think about it I also had a 77 Mustang Ghia with an automatic and it was so slow that it was almost dangerous to drive. My opinion of the mustang 11 is the only thing good about them is the front suspension. After that its all downhill. :(

Joe-jdc

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
The 99-2004 Mustang GTs are good drivers, with decent mileage, good brakes, and comfortable.  The only down side is the returnless fuel system, which has become the standard, and now easier to work with.  A blower does wonders for performance, and the aftermarket parts available for the modular engines is becoming reasonably priced.  I think it would be very cool to have a 2004 GT with a 482stroker FE and tko-600.  All aluminum, of course!  Joe-JDC.

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »
Phil,
does this make you  feel better?
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged