Author Topic: Help with problem  (Read 10980 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Re: Help with problem
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
Running out of gas.
I would not mess with jetting until you've got the 3/8 line installed along with the better pump.
There's a reason Ford did that on stone stock CJ cars in the 60s - its necessary.
A Carter M6905 pump will handle your needs without the chrome - likely a better pump too...
It's a waste of time without fuel supply - it'll read dead lean even if its pig rich in the first three gears

I'm not real enthused about playing with the carb either. I can set float levels, change jets, adjust pump cams etc. But, I don't know diddly about much more than that. The 3/8" fuel line will be here Friday and I'm replacing the fuel pump tomorrow. I'll use the Edelbrock high output since I already have it and it hasn't got 5000 miles on it. Should be good. Thanks Barry. And Thank all of you that responded. I'll update this when I get the fuel line on and try it out. Ford Expo Shootout at National Trail next up. 

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
UPDATE:  I got the Edelbrock High Volume fuel pump put on. My new timing light with advance will be here today so I'll be more precise in what I set my timing at. I've got an 11L mechanical advance  made up already so I'll go with 36-38 degrees total at 2500 rpm with an initial of 16 degrees. Tony Swanson,( my machinist ) is going to install my 3/8" gas line Wednesday morning ( remaking fuel tank outlet if necessary ). Hopefully I'll be in the low 14's or even infringing on the high 13's after I'm done.
        Also in the mean time, I found out my old sun tachometer was 300rpm too low. So it looks like shift point was 4800rpm instead of 4500. Getting it tweaked is fun in itself. Mainly because I'm doing it I guess. This has been a fun project and hopefully I can enjoy it for a long time. I know it's not the fastest car but I originally intended to hurl a 4000 lb 57 Ford Fairlane down the 1/4 mile on street tires as fast as I could while being able to drive it 10K a year while getting decent gas mileage and sit in traffic for over 30 minutes without overheating. I'm getting there. Thank all you guys for your help. This project looks like it's working out as intended. I really appreciate the advice you guys share with me. Jim PS  At the meltdown drags they had a couple of 427's with stock tires that did about the same ET as me. That impressed me.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
Jim,
Your cars look pretty sanitary too!  A couple more pics would be nice  :)

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
OK, here's what went down. I found that if I took the gas cap off after driving I heard a whissh sound. The vent line was stopped up. FIXED THAT. I replaced the carter fuel pump with built in filter with an Edelbrock 110 gph high capacity fuel pump and inline filter. Replaced the entire fuel line with 3/8" aluminum tubing today. Here's the kicker though. As someone else predicted, the fuel tank has a 5/16 fitting welded into the tank. I left it like it was and just reduced it for right now.
  With finding the tank vent completely stopped up and installing a bigger fuel pump and fuel line, I've decided to try it and see what happens first before I rip my fuel tank apart. The guy that helped me install the fuel line is a sprint car builder and he suggested getting a fuel log for the dual inlet Holley Carb also. What do you guys think of a fuel log. Would it help?  Jim

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
The log won't hurt, well except the wallet. LOL
Don't you have some sort of 3/8" dual line to the carb now.
Although the fancy looking multi fitting braided log looks way nicer.
A -8 AN line form the pump to the carb and high flow filter is the best, but the best always costs more. :P
The better pump and 3/8 line will solve your problem, but the 5/16 in the tank will still be a tiny bit of a restriction.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »
OK, here's what went down. I found that if I took the gas cap off after driving I heard a whissh sound. The vent line was stopped up. FIXED THAT. I replaced the carter fuel pump with built in filter with an Edelbrock 110 gph high capacity fuel pump and inline filter. Replaced the entire fuel line with 3/8" aluminum tubing today. Here's the kicker though. As someone else predicted, the fuel tank has a 5/16 fitting welded into the tank. I left it like it was and just reduced it for right now.
  With finding the tank vent completely stopped up and installing a bigger fuel pump and fuel line, I've decided to try it and see what happens first before I rip my fuel tank apart. The guy that helped me install the fuel line is a sprint car builder and he suggested getting a fuel log for the dual inlet Holley Carb also. What do you guys think of a fuel log. Would it help?  Jim

I would bet that you found the only problem with the vent tube, I'd run it and see what it does.   I cannot imagine a 5/16 line having an issue feeding your motor
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
427Stang,
   I had the same feeling all along. They use to put cams and three duces on those 390 Galaxies back in the day and didn't have problems. I'll be at Bunker Hill Sunday, but it's just an 1/8 mile. I won't know for sure until Columbus over Labor Day.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »
427Stang,
   I had the same feeling all along. They use to put cams and three duces on those 390 Galaxies back in the day and didn't have problems. I'll be at Bunker Hill Sunday, but it's just an 1/8 mile. I won't know for sure until Columbus over Labor Day.
And times have changed...3x2 setups had more fuel capacity due to the 3 fuel bowls and for the most part those engines were not spun past 5K - 5500 rpm. That is not to say that there weren't problems as I would wager there were, just that it was not recognized as a fuel starvation problem but it could have been diagnosed as valve float, ignition crapping out, stars not in alignment, and the horsepower gods frowing on that particular person that day. My experience with V-drive boats, multiple large carbs, high rpms at WOT for long periods of time fuel starvation is usually the first problem to surface. Hence the need for 1/2" to 5/8" fuel line, high capacity fuel pumps and bypass fuel systems is mandatory.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Guys,
   I just got back from Bunker Hill after racing on their 1/8 mile track. By going to 26lbs in the rear tires I was pulling consistent 2.1 second 60 ft times. The engine seemed strong all day and I put about six runs on it. 60 ft. = 2.1519 sec, 330 ft = 5.99 sec., ET@594 ft. = 8.5461 sec., 1/8 mile ET. = 9.1179 and MPH was 78.69.
   I know that probably don't seem like much but I'm hurling a 4200 lb car and driver down the strip with street tires 7" wide and an engine built to drive to Gulf Port, Ms and get 18mpg. I was happy and there was obviously no fuel starvation. I'll find out how she does in the 1/4 mile Labor Day at National Trail Dragway in Hebron, OH. I figure it should be in the low 14's.