Author Topic: Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 2220  (Read 605 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 2220
« on: February 20, 2024, 05:31:23 PM »
Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 2220

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2220/make/ford#overview

this is purely academic i guess since i'm not about to buy one, but does anyone know any thing about this cam / running one?

The two interesting things are that its on a 112 LSA vs the more common 110 and its advertised and .050 numbers are the same everywhere i can find it. One presumes it's likely a comp ground cam (perhaps one of the old Crane patterns) but it doesn't seem to match their catalog cams. the Specs cant be right for advertised at .006 or similar.

Anyway.
R

Robert

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 2220
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 05:51:59 PM »
Since Edelbrock owns Comp Cams, you can pretty much bet it's ground by Comp Cams.   But I've never used one. 

One side note that I'll throw in here:  I've sold a couple hundred cams in the past year or so and not one single one of them has been on a 110 LSA.  The 110 LSA is about as universal as it gets, in an attempt to find a cam that would kind hit the high spots of a bunch of different engines.   With the onset of higher performing cylinder heads that don't need as much overlap, the correct camshaft for a lot of applications will be 113-114-115 LSA.  On some factory headed applications, I'll either be on the higher side of 110 for some mild applications, or to make the old factory iron sit up and talk, I'll be on the lower end (106-107-108-109).  I did two FE's in the past several months that even had 116-117 LSAs. 

I know that I've also said this 16000 times, but you can't count on the "RPM Range" to be anywhere correct.  There are many, many, many variables that play into where a camshaft puts the peaks, including displacement, cylinder head flow, etc.  That camshaft may pull to 6500 in a 352-390, but it wouldn't get within 10 miles of 6500 in something like a 482-496. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 06:21:36 PM »
Yup, Brent i'll be contacting you when i get ready, this just peeked my curiosity since i wasn't even aware of it till it came up in a search.

i found an old Crane Master Catalog and it doesn't match any of their old ones, which if i remember correctly from TOF had a rep for being very hard to control the valves on with the existing springs and such.

Anyway.
Robert

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:30:37 AM »
Not an old Crane grind - but sure similar philosophy with comparatively short .050 duration and lots of lift.
They had a 222ish .607 lift deal back in the "day".
I've never run this one.
But experience with the older Crane stuff was decidedly not positive - serious valvetrain instability at higher RPM.
6500 was a pipe dream....