Author Topic: HYD Roller Lifter Problems - Powell Machine You Tube.  (Read 4274 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
HYD Roller Lifter Problems - Powell Machine You Tube.
« on: February 20, 2024, 07:45:44 AM »
Bb/Fe Ford Roller Lifter problems to be aware of

Interesting, I think we covered this before but a visual. Never heard of one of the lifter brands.

Anyhow.

Edit: OPPS wrong you tube
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 01:49:38 PM by DuckRyder »
Robert

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: HYD Roller Lifter Problems - Powell Machine You Tube.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 08:02:40 AM »
Never heard of those lifters.  I wince when I see a mechanic use one of those abrasive wheels on or around an engine.  Those things spit the abrasive media everywhere as a very fine grit.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 12:42:39 PM »
Never heard of those lifters.  I wince when I see a mechanic use one of those abrasive wheels on or around an engine.  Those things spit the abrasive media everywhere as a very fine grit.

You could literally see crap being slung everywhere, not to mention the fine grit that you couldn't see. I stopped watching at that point. No way in he!! you would be able to get that stuff out. I wouldn't let that guy work on my grandsons bicycle.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 01:50:44 PM »
OPPs - sorry wrong you tube.

Fixed link in first post.
Robert

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 02:02:42 PM »
I've seen this happen on extremely rare occasions when a factory block has a big, deep chamfer at the top of the lifter bore.   I use mainly Morel lifters and just don't see many issues on a large sample size. 

I really wish I could get everyone in the habit of priming the oil pump with the intake manifold off, just to see where the oil is going.  95% of issues would be caught, but lots of guys like to put the entire engine together, stick it in the car, then prime the pump.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 02:06:55 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 03:37:23 PM »
Brent
I never thought of priming with the intake off. I was taught the other way but will try it on my new build in a couple of months.
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 03:57:03 PM »
Brent
I never thought of priming with the intake off. I was taught the other way but will try it on my new build in a couple of months.
Greg

You don't know how many issues I've caught over the years from priming with the intake off.  Issues that would have required me to pull the intake completely off, ruin intake gaskets, etc.  I also put the pushrods and rockers on so I can make sure I'm getting the correct amount of oil up top and I can check the amount of lifter preload I have while I'm doing that. 

1.  Check oil flow/amount of flow.  Easy to adjust lifter restrictions, if used. 
2.  Verify lifter preload (mostly important with non-adjustable rocker arms).
3.  Check lifter function (easy to grab a rocker arm and try to push the lifter down while/after priming).  If you were to catch a bad one, it's really easy to swap it out. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

winr1

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 12:44:15 AM »
Brent

A while back there were discussions on several forums as to Morel lifters ( turned into a brawl )

IIRC, the answer was the correct weight oil was not being used

Can you give some insight into your experience with Morel lifters ( hydraulic and solid )

I am selling my storage collection of stuff and concentrating on one mill this time

Ricky.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 05:43:24 AM »
Brent

A while back there were discussions on several forums as to Morel lifters ( turned into a brawl )

IIRC, the answer was the correct weight oil was not being used

Can you give some insight into your experience with Morel lifters ( hydraulic and solid )

I am selling my storage collection of stuff and concentrating on one mill this time

Ricky.

Morel hydraulic lifters are setup with tighter operating clearances than most.  They are pretty picky on oil viscosity. 

Oil viscosities around 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, etc.  will usually be happy.  I'm looking for my kinematic viscosity information that they work with, but haven't found it yet and I'm not confident enough to rely on memory. 

I usually use a Valvoline VR1 10W30 or a Lucas 5W20. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 05:55:57 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 10:38:36 AM »
You don't know how many issues I've caught over the years from priming with the intake off.  Issues that would have required me to pull the intake completely off, ruin intake gaskets, etc.  I also put the pushrods and rockers on so I can make sure I'm getting the correct amount of oil up top and I can check the amount of lifter preload I have while I'm doing that.

I just received some kind assistance from Brent on lifter oiling issues and wanted to say "same" - I never, ever put the intake on a motor until I have run a lot of prime through the engine and see oil everywhere it needs to go.  Every set - so far - of Howards (Morel) solid rollers have required a "nick" between the oil passage relief and the oil feed hole to get oil up top to the rockers on my 351Cs.  The lifters are nice and snug in the bores.  I do a lot of rotations checking clearance, lifter motion, spring action, retainer to seal double check and such.  How the engine rotates with all the spring load on the cam - no hang ups and such. 

LOL - wish I had the link to the "wrong" video.  To nick my lifters I use some diamond wheels for Dremel I found at Harbor Freight.  They are only .020 thick.  A regular fiberglass Dremel cutoff disk is about .047.  I get the wheel spinning on high, line it up and just "touch" a quick hit. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:42:07 AM by Falcon67 »

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »

LOL - wish I had the link to the "wrong" video.  T

LOL

https://youtu.be/2B3DPykr2C0

Which was posted in response to a topic about a dealer shop using roloc disk on an oil pan repair.

Robert

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 02:45:58 PM »
In a mild street build with a pressure fed block, where is the line drawn between hydraulic roller and solid roller?   I don’t mind the noise or the inconvenience of rocker adjustments.   And then what is the opinions of roller bearing lifter or bushing roller?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 04:00:35 PM »
In a mild street build with a pressure fed block, where is the line drawn between hydraulic roller and solid roller?   I don’t mind the noise or the inconvenience of rocker adjustments.   And then what is the opinions of roller bearing lifter or bushing roller?

It's all in the definition of a mild street build.  If your mild street build is meant to turn past 6500-7000, then I'd use a solid roller.

Just know that a hydraulic roller lifter can last for a hundred thousand miles or more.  A solid roller is exposed to extra spring loads and valve lash, which essentially pound the bearings/bushing over time and they will need to be rebuilt. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 08:07:18 AM »
Can a hydraulic roller be reliable in the 6500-7000 range.  ?    Existing combo wants to run to 6500 with a flat tappet and want to duplicate that without fear of cam failure.  I really don’t mind a solid flat tappet if it can be made reliable with today’s offerings

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 04:49:08 PM »
Brent has run several SFT cams in FE's.
Careful selection of cam and lifters as well as break in spring pressures checked.
Less than 300lbs open and ~ 100 lbs closed is a good start for SFT break-in.