Author Topic: Fabricated Aluminum Valve Covers  (Read 1758 times)

Posi67

• View Profile
Fabricated Aluminum Valve Covers
« on: January 10, 2024, 10:27:13 PM »
Is there such a thing as "good quality" out there or are they mostly offshore junk. I'm going to need a set of covers with breathers in them since I don't want a Vac pump or PCV. They used to be posted all over the place but I suspect the crap quality caught up to the suppliers. Any suggestions appreciated.

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Fabricated Aluminum Valve Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:18:26 AM »
I have had one of those off shore sets on my 445 race motor for about 5 years. Zero problems with them once I opened up the bolt holes from 1/4" to 5/16". Moroso makes a really nice set for about 500 bucks. Billet fab will make you a nice set for about that same price.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 08:27:49 AM »
Gotta watch, because some of them are short and/or won't fit a decent rocker arm.  Some of them kinda look like a SBF valve cover the way they're shaped and they don't fit well.

The Moroso ones are expensive, but they are nicely made and will cover pretty much anything.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 08:45:09 AM »
I have the Moroso ones on my personal engine.  They work and fit well. 

I purchased a set of the offshore ones and ended up sending them back. 
They don't even fit the box they ship them in...

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:06:26 AM »
I have a set that came with some other stuff, I can see how they fit on a head

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 11:53:57 AM »
I imagine the cheap ones are hit and miss. I have talked with guys that say they fit fine and no leaks. I bought a set and the flange was like a rocking chair from end to end. The Moroso's look nice, but they put the angle on the top on the wrong side (in my opinion), doesn't leave much if any room in a shock tower car. Since you won't notch your shock towers Dale, I don't think the Moroso's would work for you. If you guys think some of these valve covers don't fit over rockers very well, you should try high riser heads and long T&D race rockers... and see how much worse it gets. The change in the valve cover rail angle, on a high riser, really messes with inside clearance, on the pushrod side. I probably have 10 sets of valve covers and only one set will clear on my high riser heads. I had to take a BFH to it and grind ovals in the bolt holes and move it toward the intake manifold and it still barely clears...
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 01:53:39 PM »
When I got Mine I didn't get the cheap $80 set. The ones I got were e bay specials and listed as 'tall' .they were like $140 about 5 or 6 years ago. I have had them on and off many times with no issues and they fit over my monstrosity of a rocker arm assembly just fine. Maybe I got lucky for once.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 02:36:34 PM »
Nice lookin' engine.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'm not keen on the look of the Moroso's and add in the issues XR7 mentioned means I'll keep looking. I'm not opposed to the sand cast ones either but they are hard to come by. I should have bought a set off Jay when I had the chance. I keep hoping the Canadian $$ will improve and ease the financial pain but that doesn't appear like it will happen before I die. 

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 07:14:32 PM »
Did you want the sheet metal look? or just want a plan no logos cast type set that will fit roller rockers?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 11:23:03 PM »
FWIW, some years ago I found a set of what had originated as 'Cobra LeMans' cast covers at a swap meet. They had been milled to remove the fins and lettering. I used them on an engine on which I'd mounted a set of the Dove HD rockers. They used special headbolts to help mount the end stands. I had to re-do the baffles inside that cover the breather holes, but it was a simple fab job to do so. In addition, I usd a rotary file on the inside of the castings where witness marks showed slight interference with the end stands. With that amount of effort over most of an hour, I had a set of blank rocker covers that looked just fine and sealed well too.

KS

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 01:26:42 AM »
FWIW, some years ago I found a set of what had originated as 'Cobra LeMans' cast covers at a swap meet. They had been milled to remove the fins and lettering. I used them on an engine on which I'd mounted a set of the Dove HD rockers. They used special headbolts to help mount the end stands. I had to re-do the baffles inside that cover the breather holes, but it was a simple fab job to do so. In addition, I usd a rotary file on the inside of the castings where witness marks showed slight interference with the end stands. With that amount of effort over most of an hour, I had a set of blank rocker covers that looked just fine and sealed well too.

KS

sounds like what I found in some ones collection of old parts I think mine started out as MT covers they have never had baffles and the rectangle breathers are made by some one back in the 60's or early 70s could even be before the 60's and have long since closed. I had to make new breather tops as I can't find a good enough chrome plater to fix the pot metal pitting yet but they fit T&D race rockers .700 lift fine and I think are period correct looking they don't push oil out the breathers. 

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 06:41:58 AM »
I've cut the fins off the top. Weiand tall's.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 11:38:16 AM »
I don't mind them at all they have a unique look.

crappy photo but only one I could find of mine

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 08:08:00 PM »
Did you want the sheet metal look? or just want a plan no logos cast type set that will fit roller rockers?

Just want a plain no logo look that will clear a fairly big Cam and T&D rockers. The Sheet Metal came to mind as possibly a reasonable cost option however that's no in question. I do have a set of decent M/T's and like the look but the breathers would likely be a fitment issue. I could also use my current M/T's since they already have breathers and i can only run one engine at a time.