Author Topic: top speed estimate  (Read 2688 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: top speed estimate
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 08:57:36 PM »
This kinda got off topic, but my other fast car story is my '70 Shelby GT-500 going to Bonneville.  My F-I-L was a WWII disabled Veteran who lost his left hand to a grenade from the enemy.  My inlaws flew out to Utah where I was stationed at the time, and he wanted to visit Bonneville to see the salt.  I took him in the Shelby, and as we were driving along, he casually asked how fast would this car go.  It has a 140 speedometer, and there were no posted speed limits back then, so I said, lets find out.  When you leave Salt Lake City, you drive towards Wendover NV and the last 46 miles are nearly as straight as an arrow.   I slowly stepped up the speed to 120, and the front end settled down and felt solid, so I pushed it on up until the speedometer was touching the 140, and my F-I-L held his arm with his right hand and leaned over and watched the needle, and then said, "That is fast enough".  I pushed it on a bit and it hit 153 mph, just to see if it would go faster.  When we got to Bonneville, he ran around the car on the salt and took a movie picture of the salt and laughed like a little kid.  It was one of the best memories I have of him.  He died a short time later from a massive heart attack.  Anyway, the Shelby had the AA camshaft, adjustable rocker arms, aluminum intake, headers, tweaked carb, re-curved distributor, and deep sump oil pan.  I have always wondered just how fast it could go with modern heads, camshaft, and different gears.  Those were the days when we were young, foolish, and not scared of anything.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2023, 11:31:22 PM »
About 20 years ago I was making GREAT money. This was my garage for a time. I had the modded TT Porsche and bought and modded a 06 M5 (I've owned 4 different gen M5's) to replace it. Took a while to sell the Porsche so for about 6 months I had both. And a Shelby tribute Mustang (427 stroker) and a lifted 01 CC Powerstoke at the curb.

Yeah life was good.

My brother and I took a road trip and on the way I knew there was a perfect stretch of road (out past Barstow, CA) to stretch it's legs. I knew from seeing other similarly modded M5's that it was capable of just barely passing 200. So that was the goal.

We pulled over, waiting for a long clearing in traffic and then let her rip. My brother video'd it on his phone. We hit 186 and then caught an unexpected cross breeze that actually instantly moved us to the left about 3 or 4 ft. Kinda freaked me out and I let off......slowed to about 155-165 and hit it again... but after a few seconds realized that it was gonna take too long at that point to get the speed back.

That and I'd lost a bit of confidence anyways so we gave up on 200.

Fun day tho. Here's a screen shot from the highest readable speed from that run. And a pic of the garage/driveway.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:35:51 PM by TurboChris »
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2023, 10:39:05 AM »
thanks for all the replies and stories.i picked up a lot of good ideas from everyone.i was just wandering how safe my stock suspension is in a car with a engine thats capable of going a lot faster than the car was intended.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2023, 11:39:54 AM »
To pass some car on the highway really fast in your 66.
Alignment is the most important thing.
The best thing is to buy a gauge and set the chamber and caster and tow in the garage.
They are not that expensive and you will do just as good of an alignment as the kid
in the shop with the rack that needs 100 an hour just to pay the rent.
Use the cam locks on the lower control arms for extra safety.
The best ball joints you get and roller spring perches.
And pass that Kia. ;D

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2023, 10:14:24 PM »
 The car I learned to drive in was a green 66 Fairlane with several doors. Of course being 16 and having access to wheels meant trying it out... so on long straight Westham Island Road on my way home from pea combine driving job I floored it over the couple miles I had before the old wood bridge ... speedo showed 120. I was OK with that. Less OK with the car running worse and worse all the way home and the resultant driving banishment for pushing out both head gaskets on the 289.

Had my 67 Ranchero 390 to 140, old bias ply tires and 3.25 gears.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »
thanks for all the replies and stories.i picked up a lot of good ideas from everyone.i was just wandering how safe my stock suspension is in a car with a engine thats capable of going a lot faster than the car was intended.

Forgot to mention" my '70 Mach 1 has the rear lid spoiler, set at the same angle as the all-winning '70 Trans-Am Mustangs of yore. And yes, most cars need a rear spoiler even if the chin spoiler up front is huge and a pavement dragger. Live now near the famed Serbing, FL racetrack and all the early muscle cars have the same set-up to minimize under the car airflow and add downforce to the rear, even if it costs some top end speed (170 mph and up!). They must have a good reason!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 07:39:50 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 02:29:33 PM »
When you lower a car, it increases air speed, under it.

It's the air speed differential that creates lift or down force. The faster side is the side that has reduced pressure, there for creating down force, the same way that the cambered fast back creates lift but the speed differential is created differently.

The fast back roof line is longer and the air has to travel faster to get to the same place and that creates lift.
Frank

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2023, 03:39:22 PM »
Ken getting MAX lift.  ;D

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2023, 05:48:30 PM »
I remember one time when i jumped the Galaxie. Wife was late as usual, Speed was with the needle att gen light, like someone wrote here.
I jumped long and high with a hard landing, i heard something bouncing under the car from front out to the rear
I had sent one of the shims to driverside controlarm flying, The bolt must have stretched from the inpact enough for the shim to jump of
It was a long soft...how you say? depression in the road, The suspension bottomed out and rebound att the ridge
where the depression ended that made me airborn for a while

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 04:07:33 PM »
To add depth to the discussion about going fast, A friend and I decided to spectate where land speed racing was taking place. Since I live in Metro Detroit, I quickly discovered that it's about 1700 miles to Bonneville, and, because the group that had, in times past, used the low-tide sand on Daytona Beach before the speedway was built, ended-up using the WWII airport at Maxton, NC, we could watch one mile standing start racing on pavement  a thousand miles closer to home. I'd been told that one could do trial runs, at relatively low speeds, without much safety preparation, so I brought my helmet along, "Just in Case..." I found that the cut-off point for modern factory equipment is set at 125 MPH.

My daily driver, at the time, was an '02 Lincoln LS. For those who may be unfamiliar with that part of the Lincoln line, it was a re-bodied version of the small Jaguar sedans put together after Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover were acquired by FoMoCo. MY LS Sport came with Michelin Tires on 17 inch wheels, a 240 CID four-cam V8, and a slightly more agressive tune in the ECU that included a delete of the engine speed limiter. The factory speedometer read to 160. On our first trip to Maxton, I'd already put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport P2s on 18 inch wheels and done a a fairly comprehensive re-tune of the ECU. Ignition timing, fuel delivery and automatic upshift speeds had already been altered, as well as transmission line pressure. I'd also installed a factory  trunk-lid spoiler Brother Lon had removed from something-or-other. I installed it at a much more agressive up-angle. With that much done I went out on a section of expressway that had never been connected properly in North West Metro Detroit. Although open to traffic, it ultimately only connects to two-lane and doesn't have an over-abundance of traffic. There were no other cars to be seen when I ran it up to 150 and found it to be absolutely rock-steady. On our first trip to Maxton, we found it easy to exceed the mandated 125 MPH in the measured mile.

Back home, I installed a full eight-point roll cage, a belly pan from the front all the way back to the rear-axle kick-up, removed the cats and gutted them and put in a full length 2.5 inch exhaust system to go with the new headers. I also installed a mandatory fire-supression foam generating system and a six-point comp seat-belt system. Elbow tethers on the mandatory fire-suit tied in to the belt to stop potential flopping if there were to be a mishap.

We redid trhe factory fuel system to enable the use of C16. I put a five gallon fuel cell in the trunk to hold methanol and a nitrous oxide spray system to go with the methanol. The ultimate result was a one mile standing start national record in 'E' Fuel Competition Coupe/Sedan at 140.106. The record still stands to this day.

I have a new car in the planning stages at present. The East Coast Timing Association is now operating in Arkansas.

KS

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2023, 05:32:40 PM »
i was mostly talking about quarter mile speeds.i wont be doing any road course type stuff.just wondering what to expect if it goes a big mph in the 1/4.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2023, 06:10:05 PM »
I dont know but i had a 66 Fairlane with tired stock suspension.
Cleveland with 4 speed and autotrans reargear in the 80s.
Was when Volvo 240 turbo was new. Some kids in probably dads
240 Turbo tried to outrun me when i was trying to pass them
i was in third gear and folowed them to the Volvo did not go anny faster
pulled up besides them and shifted to 4th gear and left them
Topspeed on those Volvos was 190-195 kmh thats about 120 mph
so a bit faster than that is no problem stoping with the drumbrakes is another story ::)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2023, 10:43:32 PM »
i was mostly talking about quarter mile speeds.i wont be doing any road course type stuff.just wondering what to expect if it goes a big mph in the 1/4.

How much HP you have will dictate your MPH. I'm comfortable at 130-135 but after that not as brave as I once was. Just because you have a rolling start won't increase your top end because you still only have 1/4 mile to get there. If it was longer then you could sneak up on a few more MPH with the right gear.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2023, 10:37:15 AM »

How much HP you have will dictate your MPH. I'm comfortable at 130-135 but after that not as brave as I once was. Just because you have a rolling start won't increase your top end because you still only have 1/4 mile to get there. If it was longer then you could sneak up on a few more MPH with the right gear.
Dale, how fast was Jims 66 Fairlane in the 1/4 mile, about 150mph ? He didn`t have any wings or spoilers, neither does Grants 8 second 67 Fairlane, or Jim Van Cleves low 8 second 66 Fairlane. Grants 67 had different front suspension, but Jim & Jims 66s both still had the factory shock towers. As for "roll racing", just seems silly to me. I have always found the launch and first few gears the best part of drag racing. To me, a rolling start makes about as much sense as running 1/8th mile events on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2023, 01:51:01 PM »
At one time, here in Metro Detroit, there was a loosely configured group known as , 'The Top Enders.' They met at a Denny's just off of one exit of I-96, over on the west side of Detroit. Arrangements were made and the usual procedure was to go from a hundred up until one car quit.

In regard to land speed, it's of note that the two fastest street-driven cars in the world are both '05-'06 Ford GTs. The M2K car went 300.4 MPH in a measured mile in Texas a couple of years ago. A 'Gas-Monkey'-sponsored GT went just over 310 in a mile in Florida a few months ago. There have been claims of a bit more but they have not been done with proper measuring clocks and/or were done with a running start. For example a 'one-off' Bugatti Chiron was clocked at about 314 on the VW test track in Germany, but that car was doing about 200 when it got onto the mile+ straightaway and in the mile it only attained the extra 114 before having to shut off to be able to make the upcoming turn.

Both Ford GTs were running turbo'd versions of the original factory four-cam engine on methanol. It's estimated that both engines were making about 2500(+) horsepower at the rear wheels. I wonder how much it's going to take to go 350?

KS