Author Topic: Radiators  (Read 1644 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Radiators
« on: October 06, 2023, 10:28:58 PM »
So I have a Griffin crossflow  2 row 1 1/4 inch tubes aluminum radiator and Jegs dual 11 inch fans with the shroud assembly. For the most part on a normal day let’s say 80-85 degrees and not humid car runs 185-192. Now the days that it’s 85 and up and humid ( you know the days that when your driving and stick your hand out the window and the wind is hot) the car will creep up to 200 and if I was to let it I’m sure it would go higher so days like that I don’t even drive the car in case I get stuck in traffic I mean I am in New York there’s traffic a lot. So Jay talks about the radiator that’s in his Shelby that keeps his Cammer cool so I was going to get it with the Spal dual 12 inch fans. So they just came out with the same radiator that is now a triple pass system. So in theory the water is staying in the radiator longer so the fans should suck out more heat right or do you think it BS. Has anybody had a dual or triple pass radiator and does it work better.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Radiators
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 06:47:06 AM »
I can't answer the question with experience with that radiator, but there can be diminishing returns as you limit airflow by more resistance too, especially at idle.

My opinion is you don't have a radiator issue, you have a minor fan issue.  I got away from electric fans on a Mustang due to real estate and the lack of ability to put 2 big real fans on there.  The SPALs are certainly nicer than most, but remember it's all about CFM passing all the way from the front of the radiator, then out of the bottom of the car.  A Mustang has to not only suck it's way in, but push it's way out and there is a lot of trapped air that keeps the engine compartment hot due to big shock towers.

If the Spals flow significantly more, it'll help

If you were overheating under load or on  the road I'd chase a radiator, but on a good engine, almost always, idle heat is due to airflow

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 07:16:13 AM »
I think it's the fans. I'm doing a test right now.
During our high level FE talk Rory explained his cooling.
I explained to him how mine works. It doesn't.
Driving to the show with the engine running for about 45 minutes it was about 160*.  The air was cool and damp. Normal.
I have to block air flow to get the temp to rise on a cold morning.
Driving at speed my rad works fine. Even going across the Cobequid Passin towing the trailer during the hot part of the day, 195*. Slow down and get in traffic it will start to climb. When it gets to 210* I start thinking about my next move out of traffic.
I have a stock 428 brass copper rad that I've been using for 30 years. I like the brass top. I don't think I need a bigger rad.
I need more air flow.
I had a 16" electric fan. I have taken that off now. I bought two cheap amazon 12" Spal look a like fans. 1750 cfm each.
I also have a 428 clutch fan 19 1/2". 
I'm going to try the 12" electrics first.
$59 for two fans, free shipping. Worth it? We will see. They come on Tuesday.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 07:27:17 AM »
Clutch fan, hands down. 

I've added: keep in mind Ford's really big.heavy cars (Lincolns, Galaxies, Thunderbirds) and fast one like Mustangs, Cougars, etc. all had factory clutch fans. All could idle in heavy traffic for hours if need be and never overheat.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:01:54 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 07:56:26 AM »
+1^^^
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 09:01:43 AM »
Well one thing I can say is even if it’s not real hot when I’m driving on parkway it runs up at the 192-195. I think it’s because of my 3.70s with a short 26 inch tire. 50 miles an hour is 2500 rpm. I know it’s not a lot but I don’t like to go much higher than that it just sounds loud in car. It seems like as soon as I get off parkway it goes back down to about 188-192. Now I never really worried to much but I just got a new gauge that reads easier my other one the gauge increments were small and close together so I guess when it was close to 190 I was fine. Maybe I’m just chasing my tail but there are times that it runs hotter and I want to just not have to worry about it. There has been a crossflow in there since 1969 and the opening for the radiator has been opened up so no way to mount a stock radiator to use clutch fan. Not sure if I could get a shroud for crossflow to line up with stock fan assembly.
Another thing is I do have a electric fuel pump (in tank) and between the fans and that my alternator is I think a 55 amp my rebuilder says it’s pumped up to around 70 the gauge does go down when fans come on. Add the headlights at night and maybe my fans aren’t spinning fast enough. A one wire 100 or 130 amp is happening over the winter.
One thing is it’s never overheated never puked out of the radiator but I want to over cool it so I don’t have to worry.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:19:07 AM by Stangman »

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »
mine was overheating at speed but cooled as soon as you slow down or stop-the bottom rad hose was sucking shut when i give it gas and opens back up at idle.i pulled over and raised the hood and it looked fine,then i reached over and revved up the carb and i saw the bottom hose moving.it was sucking shut every time i gave it gas.i put a spring in my bottom hose and it runs cool now.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »
In my case the hose is 2 piece with metal in the middle it can’t collapse the hoses are only 6 inches per side.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »
mine was overheating at speed but cooled as soon as you slow down or stop-the bottom rad hose was sucking shut when i give it gas and opens back up at idle.i pulled over and raised the hood and it looked fine,then i reached over and revved up the carb and i saw the bottom hose moving.it was sucking shut every time i gave it gas.i put a spring in my bottom hose and it runs cool now.

Yeah, I forgot the collapsed hose deal, likely by others here too. Old, spongy hoses can do that. I do remember long ago most lowers did come from the parts stores with a coiled spring installed. Don't know if current suppliers for older car lowers still do this.

Btw, I am a big fan (no pun intended) of electric fans as virtually all modern cars have them, and for many years too. But, I've read of too many issues owners of older cars, most pre-EFI, have had with adding-in aftermarket SPAL type fans. Not sure why (too little cfm?). 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 12:18:15 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 12:21:11 PM »
Well one thing I can say is even if it’s not real hot when I’m driving on parkway it runs up at the 192-195. I think it’s because of my 3.70s with a short 26 inch tire. 50 miles an hour is 2500 rpm. I know it’s not a lot but I don’t like to go much higher than that it just sounds loud in car. It seems like as soon as I get off parkway it goes back down to about 188-192. Now I never really worried to much but I just got a new gauge that reads easier my other one the gauge increments were small and close together so I guess when it was close to 190 I was fine. Maybe I’m just chasing my tail but there are times that it runs hotter and I want to just not have to worry about it. There has been a crossflow in there since 1969 and the opening for the radiator has been opened up so no way to mount a stock radiator to use clutch fan. Not sure if I could get a shroud for crossflow to line up with stock fan assembly.
Another thing is I do have a electric fuel pump (in tank) and between the fans and that my alternator is I think a 55 amp my rebuilder says it’s pumped up to around 70 the gauge does go down when fans come on. Add the headlights at night and maybe my fans aren’t spinning fast enough. A one wire 100 or 130 amp is happening over the winter.
One thing is it’s never overheated never puked out of the radiator but I want to over cool it so I don’t have to worry.

Oophs! Missed thhis part about alternator output vs. your electrically operated stuff. You definitely need a higher output alternator! 
Bob Maag

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 12:51:01 PM »
A better alternator is going to be a step in the right direction if there is a significant voltage drop under normal driving conditions / lower RPM cruise. I know I have contemplated the look of my Cougar with the hood hinges adjusted so that the rear portion is open allowing air to escape out the top/cowl. Could be just the tweak you need to get that heat out of the engine bay. I have been itching to log under-hood temperature before and after such a "mod". Anyone seen any legit data on this?
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 01:52:53 PM »
I was tasked with testing about every plastic molded fan on the market, back about 17 years ago, (now). The best most efficient  fan was the Ford Taurus  fan used  from introduction on up to I believe 2004. Designed by a company in Massachusetts,  these guys knew their stuff. Lots of hot rodders used them. The next best were Spal, efficient and compact. There have been lots of knockoff fans but none matched the performance of the Spal. The short chord, narrow blades, have too really be designed for the application, too work properly. They may quote 1750 cfm, but that is at zero back pressure.  When you put a radiator, in there, the fans will usually "stall" , and provide insufficient  airflow, for cooling. That was the real reason the Taurus  fan worked in so many applications,  the blades were a longer chord length  ( wider ), and the curve of the blade kept it out of "stall" over a wider range. Many of the knock off fans would go into stall when combined with a 2 or 3 row radiator, with a moderate finish count of 15 fins per inch, basically doing very little air movement. The reason a steel clutch fan, or flexible steel fan, works is that wide long blade chord length, which provides higher pressure, to work with multi row radiators.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 04:00:16 PM »
I have never ran a electric fan as I prefer mechanical stuff..My 68 has a 427 in it and i run a stock clutch fan.I have the stock rad as well.Car has never got hotter than 200 and that was sitting in a line up to a car show...The key to the whole system is the shroud and the depth of your fan in the shroud. To deep or to shallow and you kill the purpose of the shroud.....JMO...Cory
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:06:37 PM by 427Fastback »
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »
A lot of good stuff for me to get working on. Between a better alternator and maybe a better fan I might be a little better. It’s not like I’m overheating I just want to be able to drive my car whenever I want. If I can get 10 degrees and a little more consistency in traffic that’s all I’m looking for. I would also like to get a hood with a scoop to let some of that heat out.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 04:49:22 PM »
Running at speed.
RPM 2700 at 107 KPH or 66 MPH Speed limit 100 KPH ::)
Oil 63 psi
temp 180*
Volts 13.5
Runs all day like this on the highway.
I'm also adding a air fuel ratio gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EJqhDJXqvuo

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 07:32:47 PM by Tunnelwedge »