Author Topic: *** Update with photos *** Burnout and tire hopping remedy?  (Read 3195 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
*** Update with photos *** Burnout and tire hopping remedy?
« on: August 29, 2023, 08:55:00 AM »
Ok, I don't make a habit of doing burnouts in the street but occasionally it happens. My '66 Fairlane used to have a mild 390. I still have "Cal-tracs" and KYB gas shocks on the car from those days. The occasion street burnout seemed ok. Now I have my 427/484 stroker and the other day after I left a car show I found a secluded country road surrounded by cornfields to jump on it. My street BFG's didn't hold much traction and I blew through first, second and third rapidly but each gear was wheel hopping. The marks on the road are about 18 inches of rubber, a foot of space and more rubber. It looks like two dashed lines on the road. I don't want to shake the shit out of my car and break things. If I'm going to do a street burnout I'd like a nice and easy smooth patch. I have the Cal-trac adjusted to just touching the spring. No pre-load. Are the gas shock junk for this? I have basically stock leaf springs and have no need or desire for mono-leafs. Any idea on how to tame the wheel hop? I never got the hop from the 390.

thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:37:37 PM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Burnout and tire hopping remedy?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 09:05:51 AM »
First, don't do it anymore until you fix it.  That rapid loading and unloading breaks all kinds of stuff from the front to the back of the car

I would look at your pinion angle first, it may need to be more nose down to counter the stock spring wrap-up.  I do believe Caltrac preload could counteract it to some extent, but still need to see, if it goes over-center it will always try to snap back
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 09:18:36 AM »
First, don't do it anymore until you fix it.  That rapid loading and unloading breaks all kinds of stuff from the front to the back of the car

I would look at your pinion angle first, it may need to be more nose down to counter the stock spring wrap-up.  I do believe Caltrac preload could counteract it to some extent, but still need to see, if it goes over-center it will always try to snap back

Thanks Ross! FYI - None of this was done from a standing stop, no launches, rather I'm rolling along and nail it while in first then through the gears.
Doug Bender

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »
maybe clamp the springs.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 10:52:29 AM »
Just be careful, think of the acceleration and load changes when that car was airborne, which it is when it gave you no rubber marks.  Engine goes from pushing 3000+ lbs during acceleration to free wheel, then back to a shock load.

Ironically, the hoppiest car I have ever worked on was a 67 Fairlane.  I was young and didn't know much back then, as Shady said, we clamped the springs and added slappers, (not inferring Shady's advice is bad, but just a reference to me back then) and it was good enough for a healthy small block, but I think the real issue is the long-ish front run of the spring and pinion angle changing as that spring wraps on a stock setup.  We had never known to measure though

Easy to measure pinion angle on 4 jackstands or a  4 post lift, but where it should be to prevent wheelhop  is a bit of a technique and trade-off.  If you have bendy springs (technical term LOL) you need more static pinion angle, but that means when they aren't wrapped, you may have dissimilar planes from tranny to pinion, at extreme cases that causes vibration or u-joint wear. 

I know you didn't want them, but that's the beauty of the Calverts.  Beefy leading front section, and flexible rear section prevents the total wrap up but still rides nice.

I'd say get some numbers, it's all relative angle, crank centerline/tranny, driveshaft, and pinion all together will tell you where you are. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Could also be those '66  springs, now what, 57 years old have given up the ghost. Still OEM or.....
Bob Maag

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 11:37:50 AM »
Could also be those '66  springs, now what, 57 years old have given up the ghost. Still OEM or.....
Springs are 5 year old Eaton's.
Doug Bender

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »
Can you run a tight pinion snubber with Cal-tracs? I used to have one that was built up about 3 inches on my Galaxie, ala the old Mopar setups, and it worked pretty well. The Gal has 7 leaves (up from the 406 6 leaves) and clamps

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 05:04:39 PM »
Just be careful, think of the acceleration and load changes when that car was airborne, which it is when it gave you no rubber marks.  Engine goes from pushing 3000+ lbs during acceleration to free wheel, then back to a shock load.

Ironically, the hoppiest car I have ever worked on was a 67 Fairlane.  I was young and didn't know much back then, as Shady said, we clamped the springs and added slappers, (not inferring Shady's advice is bad, but just a reference to me back then) and it was good enough for a healthy small block, but I think the real issue is the long-ish front run of the spring and pinion angle changing as that spring wraps on a stock setup.  We had never known to measure though

Easy to measure pinion angle on 4 jackstands or a  4 post lift, but where it should be to prevent wheelhop  is a bit of a technique and trade-off.  If you have bendy springs (technical term LOL) you need more static pinion angle, but that means when they aren't wrapped, you may have dissimilar planes from tranny to pinion, at extreme cases that causes vibration or u-joint wear. 

I know you didn't want them, but that's the beauty of the Calverts.  Beefy leading front section, and flexible rear section prevents the total wrap up but still rides nice.

I'd say get some numbers, it's all relative angle, crank centerline/tranny, driveshaft, and pinion all together will tell you where you are.

Ross,
Here is a sketch showing my angles. The car has a front to rear rake/angle of 3*
Crank is 3.5* to the floor
Driveshaft is parallel 0*
Pinion is 1.5*

Sketch, front is to the left.
http://www.fairlanet.com/images/pinion-angle-fairlane.jpg
Doug Bender

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 05:21:07 PM »
Can you run a tight pinion snubber with Cal-tracs? I used to have one that was built up about 3 inches on my Galaxie, ala the old Mopar setups, and it worked pretty well. The Gal has 7 leaves (up from the 406 6 leaves) and clamps

Didn't the higher performance Mopars also have a longer supporting leaf or additional leaf on the pass side

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »
Yep, they had it pretty scienced out

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 08:15:03 PM »
Yep, they had it pretty scienced out
Yes..they called them super stock springs..Put lots of them in my brothers Darts..I believe it was 6 leaves one side and 7 on the other side
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 09:24:23 AM »
The nice thing about the MoPar leaf springs, was they were designed with a short, stiff front section, ahead of the center bolt, with long section behind, which kinda acted like a built in traction bar. That said, most modern Stock Eliminator MoPars are now using the Calvert monoleaf springs with Cal Tracs.    Concerning your Fairlane, does it still have the factory rubber "ISO clamp" setup that has rubber pads between the housing spring perches and leaf springs, with a metal surrounding them? If so, I would remove that stuff, it was meant for a softer, smother ride, but are not a good thing for performance. I am having a similar situation with my 428 CJ 4 speed 59 Ford 2 door sedan, it will wheel hop pretty badly with street tires, even with new stock style leaf springs, and a set of Lakewood "slapper" bars. In both our cases, I believe the stock type springs are too soft and "flexy" on hard acceleration, so I am going to try some clamps on the front section of the leaf springs, and see if that helps. Not sure if gas shocks are as good as an old style hydraulic shock for this style of driving. I can say that this is the first time that I have heard of a car wheel hopping with a set of CalTracs, although I believe that they are designed for use with the Calvert mono leaf springs. But I have no personal experience  with Cal Tracs. On my 59, at the dragstrip, it will wheel hop badly with the street tires, (275/60R15 BF G T/A radials) as well, but not with a set of drag slicks, which I assume is due to the thinner sidewalls and lower air pressures, which better absorbs the impact of sudden throttle, but that is more of a crutch, and obviously not a solution for your street only car. Have you tried lower tire pressures, to see if that helps at all?
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 10:33:02 AM »
Doug, you won’t get to have all the possible fun with that car if you don’t commit to the rear end components. The engineering Calvert put into their systems is proven over and over. I tried fresh factory springs with their bars and had mixed results. After switching to the split mono it was a new car, ( at the track)   . On the street the leaf set up is noisier than stock as the insulators go away. So as always there is a trade off.
I have a fresh set of the Caltrac rear leafs. I bought a second set with more arch in them for tall tire clearance and to raise the rear end for the look I like. You would just need the front sections. I don’t know if they sell the fronts separately.
As far as your immediate problem you could experiment with tire psi. I have seen old, hard, rubber behave like that too.

Oh yeah,  you’ll have to buy new shocks for the rear, and then new front shocks, and then new front coils, and then, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 12:32:19 PM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 11:10:18 AM »
I'd toss the KYB's in the bin. Stock original oil dampers are better than KYB. Great marketing though.
QA1 adjustable are an excellent choice as are Viking.
Koni has some nice shocks.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:16:41 AM by Tunnelwedge »