Author Topic: *** Update with photos *** Burnout and tire hopping remedy?  (Read 3278 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: *** Update with photos *** Burnout and tire hopping remedy?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2023, 10:39:27 AM »
Doug, some OEM clamps were merely bent-up sheet metal steel pieces that had a tab on the inside. No u-bolts needed. The formed steel pieces were slipped over the leafs and the inside tab (facing away from the tire) was bent to clip into itself (tough to describe here). Yet, I don't know if anyone sells them today. 

These pretty much look like the ones I've tried to describe: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-00250?srsltid=AfmBOopdHFYKaVkJxPgERDH_eAXB37gycPxWSg6NRgcxl_qX-3gtM_gFWj4

Thanks you! I was under the impression that the leaves needed clamped so they don't slide or move around? the leaves currently have a stock sheet metal clamp but the leaves can slide in them? Some old picture I've seen were people using for example a 3/8" dia. square u-bolt with a clamp plate and clamped tight?

Thanks again!

The stock clamps do (or did) allow the leaves to move laterally (parallel to the leaf itself) a bit. You'll see this when jacking the car up. One can add more of these sheet metal clamps where needed or desired. Yes, many in the day did add the square u-bolt clamp yet your close clearance prevents there use here. Btw, the famed Dodge & Plymouth "Super Stock" factory rear leafs also solely used this style of clamp to great effect on early factory drag cars. See Mancini's link here and zoom in on those factory re-boots of the original leaf springs and you'll see only sheetmetal clamps. 

https://www.manciniracing.com/mopecolespri.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:43:13 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2023, 03:00:51 PM »
Update! I got some Koni shocks (oil) and installed them in favor of the KYB's (gas).

Did you get the  rear Koni 82-1389's  and the front 82-1698's like tunnnelwedge posted? I'd like to hear what you set them at and what you think.

I currently have kyb's (po installed) in my 66 and loved the Konis in my 66 mustang I used to have so I'm super interested in what you think about them in your fairlane.
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2023, 09:01:57 PM »
My last leaf-spring car used a 4-link kit with roller mounts for the leaves. I made clamps on the fronts of the leaf springs by blacksmithing 1/4-inch thick strap that I formed to be tapped in place from the outside inwards. Bolts through the extended inner ends pulled them tight. The rear axle was a brand new Lincoln Versailles with the 9" center and factory disc brakes. Clearance on the outer ends of the clamps was just fine.

The car was a '72 Pinto with a 466 CID engine built from a 429 SCJ. It was a project car for Super Ford Magazine. I got the very first pair of aluminum heads that came out the door from the Smith Brothers experimenting, before they sold out to Summit. The car weighed 2260 with 1140 on the rear wheels. The engine was set back under the original dash space and the seats were mounted on the back seat foot space. Entire front clip, doors and rear quarters were fiberglas. Top was chopped four inches. We used a full length 2X3 ladder frame integrated into the floor pan and an 8-point cage. Konis at all four corners. Traction was excellent with Pirelli 345-35X15 P zeros at the rear and 285-40s on the front.

KS

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2023, 07:58:49 AM »
Update! I got some Koni shocks (oil) and installed them in favor of the KYB's (gas).

Did you get the  rear Koni 82-1389's  and the front 82-1698's like tunnnelwedge posted? I'd like to hear what you set them at and what you think.

I currently have kyb's (po installed) in my 66 and loved the Konis in my 66 mustang I used to have so I'm super interested in what you think about them in your fairlane.

I did get the Koni's and installed them. I did get the p/n's you mentioned. I went for one short cruise last week. That wasn't enough time to assess them. Hopefully I can some decent mileage on them before winter?
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2023, 11:01:05 PM »
 Please update this thread once you have an opinion on them! Also where did you end up ordering them? The 82-1698's seem to all ony be for sale in Australia and other countries.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 11:16:36 PM by TurboChris »

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2023, 11:17:11 PM »
Thanks Doug, Please update this thread once you have an opinion on them! Also where did you end up ordering them? The 82-1698's seem to all ony be for sale in Australia and other countries.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2023, 02:45:33 AM »
Please update this thread once you have an opinion on them! Also where did you end up ordering them? The 82-1698's seem to all only be for sale in Australia and other countries.

We use them all the time over here in Australia our falcons and fairmonts xr xt xw xy 1966 to 1972 they are a direct fit for 66/67 usa fairlane i would think they would fit the usa falcons too 66/70

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2023, 07:39:38 PM »
Please update this thread once you have an opinion on them! Also where did you end up ordering them? The 82-1698's seem to all ony be for sale in Australia and other countries.
I only purchased the rears at this time. Amazon around $300.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX