Author Topic: Piston ring file  (Read 695 times)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
Piston ring file
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:19:01 PM »
What inexpensive ring file is the best to go with? I see several options from summit, jegs and speedway motors but they are all pretty much the same imported piece.

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Piston ring file
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 05:25:54 AM »
They are all about the same or even the same part. The cutting wheel is OK for ductile iron rings, but steel rings wear them out quickly. So you need a replacement cutting wheel or two.  I am assuming you are referencing  the hand crank models.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
I have a nice straight fine tooth file that I clamp in a vice and manually file rings.  Been doing that for years without problems.  I just push the ring gap down the file, never pull.  I count strokes, then buff the edges with a fine Arkansas whet stone. Yea, I've looked at all the ring filers and some are really nice but I just can't seem to justify the outlay.  IMHO there's a kinda "zen" to hand ring filing.   ;D

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
I'm a hand filer as well. Seen it get away from guys and once you remove material there's no putting it back. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »
Thanks all. I’m a first timer to ring filing as I’ve always done stock rebuilds non custom parts and my first FE.  ;)