Author Topic: Oil pan  (Read 1805 times)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
Oil pan
« on: May 16, 2023, 10:08:21 AM »
Would it be wise to go ahead and spend the money on a deep sump pan and pickup or use the factory pan on my 445? The pan is original to the motor which came out of a 67 Galaxy and will be going in my 67 Mustang. I’m gathering the rest of the parts I need to get the motor assembled and a pan is on the list of options if needed.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:21:26 AM by Skeeter65 »

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
Re: Oil pan
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »
Depends. I use a Canton T pan.
I have my 68 FB hot rodded a bit. Arning drop, Z Ray crossmember and use small block coils.
It's pretty low. lol
A deep pan would be a no go for me.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 10:35:44 AM »
Would it be wise ...................................(to) use the factory pan on my 445?

No!  I would not consider it wise to use the O.E.M. standard oil pan; that is if you were ever planning on leaving your driveway, in any kind of a hurry anyway!  Though also note there are options other than just a deep pan.   ;)

Scott.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 10:59:07 AM »
I’m looking at the Canton T Pan for it. I need to get an oil pump as well but haven’t decided yet due to the oil pan. If going the T Pan would a standard volume pump be ok or should I get the high volume? I’m looking at the ones Precision Oil Pumps has.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 11:16:49 AM »
This really depends on how you are using the car.
Wheel standing drag car? Yes use the deep. Smack that puppy if you can.
Driving like Santa on the back roads, get the T.
You can use the stock oil pan. It is perfectly fine. Put 6 quarts in the pan and 1 in filter. 7 is lots.
Precision Oil Pumps has an excellent selection, you should call and explain your needs and wants.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:22:45 AM by Tunnelwedge »

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »
Thanks Tunnelwedge. Not a Santa Claus driver but not going to be wheel standing either. Mostly street driving with the occasional road course session if I can.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks Tunnelwedge. Not a Santa Claus driver but not going to be wheel standing either. Mostly street driving with the occasional road course session if I can.

Aftermarket pan would be your best option here.   T-sump would be prudent for cornering.  Either an M57B or M57HV pump would work great with that pan. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 02:14:08 PM »
You have the right answer from Brent and TW, but let me share an experiment I did

YEARS ago, like 2004-ish, RJP, one of our forum members, told me that he thought my 1/8 nylon line for my oil pressure gauge was not responsive enough.

At the time, my car was an overcammed, single plane, 433, stock CJ pan with a windage tray, and a close ratio Toploader and a 3.70 / 28 inch tall tires.  Not a lot of launch capability compared to today but ran pretty well.

When he said that, I replaced the line with a 1/4 inch copper tube and appropriate fittings, went out to a stop light and dropped the hammer.  Street driving, not slicks, I saw the oil pressure come up, then wiggle and come down and up again as the oil both pumped up top and slid away from the pickup.  Something I never saw with the 1/8 line

I would not run a stock capacity, minimally baffled pan on any Ford front sump, never mind a hot one.  I run a Canton T now, with 489 inches, 2.87 first gear and 4.11s it launches ridiculously hard compared to the 427 and the gauge never wiggles
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 03:47:34 PM »
Ross, I really appreciate your advice and will keep it in mind when I get to that point. I’ll be putting in an order for a pan and pickup most likely today. I’m not sure I need the road race T pan or just a standard T pan. I may do a road course track day or two in the future but that remains to be seen.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 04:19:34 PM »
Check out the offerings from Kevko and Milodon.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 06:43:54 PM »
Will do. Thanks.

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 08:19:26 PM »
Doesn't the Mustang use a pan that has relief's for  tie rod clearance and for the Fairlane this isn't  needed ? IIRC

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 09:05:42 PM »
Doesn't the Mustang use a pan that has relief's for  tie rod clearance and for the Fairlane this isn't  needed ? IIRC
Pretty sure both my 69 Fairlane Cobras and my 69 & 70 R code Mach 1s all had the relieved oil pans, with a shallow rear section. The PU trucks and 58-64 big cars did not have the recesses and had a deeper rear section. On my 59, I am running a Canton deep sump pan, which has 2 swinging trap doors, 1 each in front and behind the oil pump pickup.  It is advertised as a 7 quart (with filter pan, and the sump has a flat bottom, that is just over 7" deep, and isn`t really that much deeper than a stock pan, and has plenty of ground clearance. That said, if a car is much lower than factory, that could change. As for the T pans, be aware that some headers will not clear those oil pans without modifying.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 10:46:13 PM »
Many years ago, I got an engine that came from EEE and was part of the GT 40 development program. Part of the package was an Aviaid T-type pan. I've always used the features of that pan as my guide as to what is necessary. That included:
1. Sufficient capacity
2. A properly designed and placed pickup. (Sufficient tube size and close enough but not too close to the bottom. Properly supported)
3. Baffles and gates to direct and hold the oil in place for proper circulation.

Take a critical look and keep these things in mind and you won't go far wrong. Modify every thing that interferes with the above. To use the pan on my 1965 Mustang I had to put an oil return in the pan from the Paxton VR 59 blower, modify the under-engine removable crossmember for clearance, and loosen the driver's-side header to be able to properly tighten one of the pan-to-block bolts.

The idea of larger-than-1/8th tubing for the oil gauge, mentioned above, is also right on. But be careful of copper tube. It can work-harden from vibration and crack and dump all your oil in a long stripe on the highway. (Ask me how I know!) I now always use teflon/SS Braid for oil gauges. ;)

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 07:55:42 AM »

The idea of larger-than-1/8th tubing for the oil gauge, mentioned above, is also right on. But be careful of copper tube. It can work-harden from vibration and crack and dump all your oil in a long stripe on the highway. (Ask me how I know!) I now always use teflon/SS Braid for oil gauges. ;)

KS

You are indeed correct, the car soon after got a modern electric gauge. which is equally sensitive, I don't particularly like long stretches of any tube, even brained line
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch