Author Topic: 1962 intake gaskets vs. new Cometic gaskets?  (Read 638 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
1962 intake gaskets vs. new Cometic gaskets?
« on: October 23, 2022, 07:17:29 AM »
I was rooting through some of the NOS Ford parts I have stashed and came across my gasket pile. In there is a set of C2AE-9441-A. Looking at them I thought wow, look at the size of those ports. I thought they looked similar in size to the Cometic gaskets I use with the Craft Stage II heads I have. So I pulled out a set of Cometics to compare. They are almost exact. Actually the C2AE openings might be a hair larger? You can see in the gasket on top of gasket picture. I think the only production FE's in '62 were 352, 390 & 406? Would these be for a 406?

I was shocked as the openings were the same as a set of prepped Edelbrock heads from Craft.

Also, what is the thin opening that partially surrounds the coolant opening on the end?

I'm thinking with the scarce parts supply I might keep and use these in a pinch? They are .049 thk. and my Cometics are .039.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 07:19:22 AM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX
1964 Comet Pro Street 427+ (in progress)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: 1962 intake gaskets vs. new Cometic gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 09:01:40 AM »
Not to put a damper on your find, but those old gaskets may fall apart with water pressure when installed.  I recently had some old gaskets just like that come apart in my hands just before use.  If yours were stored in a clean, dry area, then you may have better luck than I did with mine.  I just opened a pack of Tunnel Port gaskets only to have them crumble in my hands, also.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 02:52:59 PM »
The gap, between the water passage and the In port, is to give a path of least resistance to and water seepage.
Frank

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
Yes, the thin "L" shaped slot is in case there is coolant seepage, or even a substantial leak,
the coolant goes outside the block, between the head and intake, where you can see it,
instead of leaking into the crankcase.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.