Author Topic: Need Advice on Fox Body FE Project  (Read 11872 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Need Advice on Fox Body FE Project
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
Another deal was we did buy a 9 inch rear from Spraker Racing, in Charlotte  I believe. Just the housing.  It is installed in the 1984 mustang. Fit nicely, good welding.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 03:42:36 PM »
like the idea of a fox body.theres a ton of parts available for them every where,bolt in 9 inch,etc.
not to argue about shock towers,but it doesnt say you cant notch them for engine clearance on early mustangs.

CHASSIS
•Must use the complete stock frame or subframe(s) from bumper to bumper.
•Subframe connectors, tubular transmission crossmembers, and bolt-in tubular front crossmembers are allowed.
•Rear framerails may be notched and boxed for tire clearance but must be in the stock location, must remain structural as intended by the OE manufacturer, and may not be supported or reinforced by non-original methods (though a custom upper- shock crossmember that spans from framerail to framerail is allowed). •May not use a rollcage design that includes the use of a Funny Car–type protective structure around the driver.
•Engine may not be set back past the stock firewall location.
FRONT SUSPENSION
•The front suspension may use aftermarket components, but they must be commonly available from a recognized manufacturer and they must bolt in place on the stock frame. Minor welding as instructed by the parts manufacturer is allowed. Variances may be allowed for homebuilt components if they are deemed by the race director to meet the spirit of the rules; email detailed photos to DragWeek@MotorTrend.com for pre- event verification.
•Non-stock strut conversions are prohibited.
•Aftermarket or fabricated front suspensions or front clips that replace the stock framerails forward of the firewall are prohibited.
https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/2022/01/2022-2024-HRDW-Final-Draft.pdf

one thing that doesnt seem fair,is that small blocks are limited to 430,and have to weigh the same as a 600 plus big block.

solid car,no sunroof/t-tops,has nice 4130 cage already done,stock front and rear susp.no rust anywhere,thru the floor subframe connecters.a great start to a really nice 4 eyed fox.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:20:46 PM by hbstang »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 04:18:49 PM »
I have a genuine, dead stock, 1988 5.0 Fox bodied fastback I bought brand new. Never crashed, raced, rusted, etc.

So, if you need any measurements I can take on a running Mustang, just ask!
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 04:39:45 PM »
like the idea of a fox body.theres a ton of parts available for them every where,bolt in 9 inch,etc.
not to argue about shock towers,but it doesnt say you cant notch them for engine clearance on early mustangs.

CHASSIS
•Must use the complete stock frame or subframe(s) from bumper to bumper.

I sent them an email about that for clarification.  Got no response.  I would not want to show up at the event and be told I couldn't run in that class.  I'd be safe in a 67-70 Mustang or 66-69 Fairlane, but again the weight would be an issue.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

winr1

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 08:10:57 PM »
Would be a let down indeed to build a car an told ya cant run that class

What block, bore, stroke, C.I. ... are ya looking to build if I may ask ??

I read the posts twice but may have missed the above

Ricky.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 08:14:32 AM »
Your first response sounded like you would prefer to run a "60's car". I apologize for trying to help, won't do it again....

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 09:37:03 AM »
Would be a let down indeed to build a car an told ya cant run that class

What block, bore, stroke, C.I. ... are ya looking to build if I may ask ??

I have a 4.39" bore Shelby block with a 4.375" stroke billet crank that I would probably run, around 530".  Would probably go with my raised exhaust port heads, port them for maximum flow, build some step headers to fit the chassis, and run a 2X4 EFI setup.  I'm also inclined to go with a 6R80 transmission, since I can probably fit that in the car without going over the minimum weight.  Shooting for 1000+ HP to run as close to 8.50 as I can.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 10:22:17 AM »
Jay - I think a Glidden-style Futura would be da bomb!  Sounds like a fun combo you're cooking up. 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 10:52:52 AM »
just trying to help with the falcon info,i guess i got off the original post.sorry
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »
If you emailed recently, I'm sure they are preoccupied with this years event, which starts today. Power to weight ratio should get you to the 8.50 limit. You'd also be running against Scott Miller, provided he attended, in a field entirely dominated by GM's. And nobody has really pushed the 8.50 limit, that I'm aware of.

If no fiberglass bumpers are to be had, you can shave a lot of weight by removing the heavy steel backing and ditching the "crash" mounts. It wouldn't be hard to fab some lightweight brackets and just keep the aluminum front.

Wheel tubs and frame notching are also allowed, so a good size tire would fit, keeping within the 11.5" limit.

Good choice on the car and class. Good luck.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »
Jay, when I built my FE powered Fairmont back in the mid 80s, there were no aftermarket K members available, so we did some minor trimming on the factory K member, and it worked fine for 30 years, but now that I have a tubular K member, it would make building headers some much easier, not to mention the decent weight savings. On my car, since it tends to wheelstand pretty good, I retained the (heavy) original lower control arms with factory style coil springs. I just don`t trust the thin strut towers to survive such forces, like dropping the nose down from a 2 or 3 foot wheelstand for very long. Concerning bumpers and hoods, for Fairlmonts, they are available, but to be honest, I doubt they save all that much weight. The bumpers themselves are aluminum, once you remove the steel reinforcement bracing, and the energy absorbing "shock absorbers", my bumpers were about 5 pounds each. My car has the "bare" bumpers with no bumper guards or rub strips. The hood is a pretty light item from the factory, years ago I bought a fiberglass hood, and never used it, as the weight difference was only 7 pounds less than the stock hood. The stock hood uses hinges with no springs,and a prop rod, and other than when the car was painted over 30 years ago, the hood has never been removed, as it can open straight up, so not in the way during engine Re & Res. The Fairmont/Zephyr have 5" longer wheelbase, so Fox Mustang subframe connectors are too short, but personally, I always have prefered 2x3" subframe connectors that run thru the floorpan , and are welded in. The Fox body cars have much more space between the strut towers than a 66-69 Fairlane or 67-70 Mustang, which allows the headers to come out of the heads without needing an immediate  bend, like the shock tower cars. Much more room for header installation , spark plug and valve cover access, etc. The Fox also uses a rear sump oil pan, which is better for drag racing, and so much F&R suspension availability  to make it work. My 85 Mustang had all bolt in factory replacement rear suspension, and went mid 1.3 second 60 foot times, running 10.3-10.4 ET  1/4 mile times on 9" tires weighing 3100 pounds with a mild 331 SB Ford (pump gas, flat tappet cam, "all motor"), with all the factory glass, complete full stock interior, and all factory steel body components, stock gas tank etc. Jay, would you plan on using the factory style heads, or the heads with very different exhaust configuration? If standard configuration is used, I have 2 pairs of custom headers from my Fairmont, as well as the oil pan, and motor plates and a mid mount for the FE that are just sitting in my garage......
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2022, 05:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.  I do plan to take advantage of the tubular K member to make header fabrication easier, and I want to use the raised exhaust port version of my heads because there is more room in the Fairmont engine compartment than in a standard shock tower car, even if trimming the shock towers is allowed. 

Thanks for the info on weights, I had no idea that the factory hoods and bumpers were so light.  Guess I shouldn't be too worried about those parts...

On the tire size, I'm mostly concerned with the factory rear wheel opening, which is not allowed to be trimmed or stretched according to the rules.  I think this is going to limit me to a 28" tall tire, which is shorter than I'd prefer, but the big overhang in the back should help with the hook.

I'll be watching Drag Week this week to see how fast the cars go.  I believe that at least one car has been in the 8s in the past in this class, but I'd really like to push the 8.50 limit with my car.  We'll see if that is possible...
Jay Brown

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2022, 05:37:22 PM »
In your search for a Fox body don't forget the Mercury Capri.  :)

The platform is what my generation had and raced in High school. So have made a comeback recently. As you're discovering they are getting picked up quick. I'll reach out to some of my car folks to see if they have a hook up on something.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2022, 10:27:44 AM »
>I think he is saying the early Falcons are too light. A friend of mine may still have a 69 Falcon 2 door that was a pretty decent car. The curb weight on them are supposedly in the 2800 # range.

I can tell you that's BS. "Published" curb weights in my experience are bogus.  I have a 67 4 door.  Curb weight with fiberglass hood, steel bumpers, Maveric buckets, stock rear seats and 8 point bar, iron head 351C was 3350 lbs without driver.  Current config is an iron 351C, glass hood and front bumper, 8 point, fiberglass racing seats, no rear seat (that's like 50 lbs or so), fuel cell, everything under the dash gone, all steel doors, all factory glass - 3050 lbs, no driver.  I'm not sure it'd hit 2800 if I took all the doors off the car LOL.  And you'd want a 67 up because they use the same engine compartment as a Fairlane, so the FE would fit.  But you're still stuck with rear steer and front sump unless you really cut up the front suspension. So not my idea of a great setup to run 8.50s.

Two door Fairmont with the AJE stuff would be my first pick.  Seems anybody - Currie, etc - could supply the rear housing in the configuration needed.  2x2, 1x3, etc tubing would be my thought for subframe connectors.  The ones on my Falcon are 2x2 11 ga tube, DIY.  I'd also call S&W - they may not advertise some, but chances they may have a print in the drawer for some.  They have cages and bars

https://swracecars.com/?year_id=300&make=1306&model=1557&post_type=product&action=vpf-ymm-search
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:40:33 AM by Falcon67 »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2022, 11:21:11 AM »
Fairemount would be my pick too , seen a decent stock one for sale recently on facebook or Craigs list