Author Topic: Get a big block Mustang they said , it will be fun they said.......  (Read 2181 times)

Blueoval77

• View Profile
Its more like a adult Rubics cube....

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
Re: Get a big block Mustang they said , it will be fun they said.......
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 03:14:59 PM »
It is fun. You'll get used to the pain. ;).......Jim Kramer

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
I can sympathize. One thing I will say that I learned many years ago from a friend who owned a body shop/repairables business, and who helped me with my FE Mustang when I first got it - he taught me that these cars ( and other brands too ) will suffer from the shock towers sagging inward with age, even on rust free cars. A lot of times the issues people have with header bolts to shock tower clearance, that can be part of the issue. We had some other front end sheet metal work to do on my car from accident damage, but at the time he also put my car on the Kansas Jack frame device, and pulled the shock towers out considerably to get them back into spec. Using the combination of an original Ford heavy gauge export brace, and a Monte Carlo bar, seems to have stabilized the issue, and it hasn’t changed since. There are frame and engine compartment dimensions, diagrams, and reference points, in the Ford Shop Manuals. I would advise anyone to check those dimensions when they get a chance, sometimes it will explain the issue.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 04:04:08 PM »
I recall helping a good friend take out a 289 and replace it with a 428 SCJ (capscrew rod motor with hatchet crankshaft spacer) 406 3X2 intake and Crane
CC290 camshaft (256@ 0.050: 0.601" lift) and toploader 4 speed. Many, many swear words used while installing motor and Hooker headers! I almost broke my toe when kicking a 45 gallon drum in frustration.

Fun times indeed!!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 05:29:24 PM »
Feel ya
But no towers helps a bunch.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
Yeah this isnt my first rodeo with this old girl . I had a four speed S code in the 80s then this CJ was in a coupe I had with dougs headers on it Then in this R code prior to  my blowing it apart in the late 90s and life happening in the form of an incident with a tow truck and compound fractures and wheel chairs for some years then life just kinda went in another direction so this old war horse just sat sleeping for many years.
So I was 27 the last time I tangled with big tubes and shock towers and cramps in yours hands and wishing that you had more joints in your fingers and arms... The wrenches I had heated and bent are long gone today as well. Doing this at 55 lets say is a bit harder....
I will say this. I had it in the back of my mind when I was building this set of headers but right now there is no doubt in my mind that I will modify this system so that it all goes together before it goes in the car. The car of course would be void of steering components and cross member . So pretty much whatever happens its all made to come out easy as one and go back the same way...Engine , trans , headers . all of it.
It seems like a bunch of work but there is no doubt you can do a better job of it and do it much faster...
I segmented the front tubes for this reason so I would simply need to modify the back 4 so they drop off easy , just leaving the short stubs going up to the flanges.
I am proud to say that I have all the bolts in the header flanges on both sides accept for one bolt each on the rear tubes...

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »
Marc thats cheating

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 09:51:11 PM »
Marc, that thing is clean.

Nice!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 10:38:24 PM »
Yeah this isnt my first rodeo with this old girl . I had a four speed S code in the 80s then this CJ was in a coupe I had with dougs headers on it Then in this R code prior to  my blowing it apart in the late 90s and life happening in the form of an incident with a tow truck and compound fractures and wheel chairs for some years then life just kinda went in another direction so this old war horse just sat sleeping for many years.
So I was 27 the last time I tangled with big tubes and shock towers and cramps in yours hands and wishing that you had more joints in your fingers and arms... The wrenches I had heated and bent are long gone today as well. Doing this at 55 lets say is a bit harder....
I will say this. I had it in the back of my mind when I was building this set of headers but right now there is no doubt in my mind that I will modify this system so that it all goes together before it goes in the car. The car of course would be void of steering components and cross member . So pretty much whatever happens its all made to come out easy as one and go back the same way...Engine , trans , headers . all of it.
It seems like a bunch of work but there is no doubt you can do a better job of it and do it much faster...
I segmented the front tubes for this reason so I would simply need to modify the back 4 so they drop off easy , just leaving the short stubs going up to the flanges.
I am proud to say that I have all the bolts in the header flanges on both sides accept for one bolt each on the rear tubes...

If this is a Mustang,Hooker 6114’s go in with the engine and trans. Cross member removed,steering dropped.
Lance H

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 07:39:27 AM »
Yeah another guy posted saying that part number I believe fit on his with the same steering box I am using. I didnt want the small tubes however . These are 2" with merge collectors .

And yes . Marc is a cheater....

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 07:51:27 AM »
I saw where one of the brake companies has a brake pedal/master cylinder combo that mounts under the dash, think maybe it was wilwood

found a link

https://www.fabquest.com/wilwood-under-dash-super-pedal-dual-mc-brake-pedal-assembly-forged.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:53:34 AM by hwoods »
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 07:57:44 AM »
Had a 68 Mustang GT with a 427 TP, 4sp & 4,88 Detroit locker years ago. When the front end came off the ground and would run a 10.80 it made all the aggravation worthwhile.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
I can sympathize. One thing I will say that I learned many years ago from a friend who owned a body shop/repairables business, and who helped me with my FE Mustang when I first got it - he taught me that these cars ( and other brands too ) will suffer from the shock towers sagging inward with age, even on rust free cars. A lot of times the issues people have with header bolts to shock tower clearance, that can be part of the issue. We had some other front end sheet metal work to do on my car from accident damage, but at the time he also put my car on the Kansas Jack frame device, and pulled the shock towers out considerably to get them back into spec. Using the combination of an original Ford heavy gauge export brace, and a Monte Carlo bar, seems to have stabilized the issue, and it hasn’t changed since. There are frame and engine compartment dimensions, diagrams, and reference points, in the Ford Shop Manuals. I would advise anyone to check those dimensions when they get a chance, sometimes it will explain the issue.

Yeah Kevin , the coupe I ran this CJ in for some years had been all kinds of abused before I got it and I had to deal with that in the shock towers . I eventually cut them later down the road as the car was nothing special and I was young and didnt really care.. This 70 is the real deal R code so it has these friggin straps on the towers which make things all the more tight It doesnt help that the straps dont even fit tight against the towers so they take up about double the room they need to.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »

And yes . Marc is a cheater....
Yes, yes I am :)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 09:38:27 AM »
Lot of cheating in turbohunter’s pic…port fuel injection and I’m guessing a hydraulic clutch…I’m jealous.