Author Topic: Ready for some dyno time  (Read 3690 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Ready for some dyno time
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »
The lastest tach drive(crab cap version) I bought for the black car came from Dan Parson's.  I needed the short version(like the wagon has).  The std tach drive(crab cap) that is used in FE boat motors is too tall for the blower.  Dan just happen to have the version I needed, along with cable and tach.  I have a couple tachs on the bench I bought on Ebay.  Cables are easy to come by, I bought a custom made one for the black car from a guy in the midwest(name escapes me now).

Is that Parsons out of Cridersville? A couple of well known local FE guys back when I was a kid. Pretty sure he still has an FE powered '56.
I guess I didn't notice the cable drive tach whenever I looked at your car. I pretty much stay away from Ebay these days.
That cap looks like a standard Ford, but must be different. The FT, as far as I know, looks to be the same as a standard Ford cap. Something I'll have to look into a bit more. If you happen to think of the guys name that you got the cable from, shoot me a message. I'd appreciate it. And the stacks complete the look, so I planned on keeping them on also, although I've wondered about airflow into them at speed. Something you'll just have to test for, or just accept what it is. It's not like you're running a heads up class or anything.

Doug, Are you looking for a tach? I have two Moroso mecanical tachs somwere when i find both you can have one of them
i dont need two. Can take a while to find them ,i cleaning up after my dads collecting now so.......

Heo, I'll PM you. I have an FT distributor with the cable drive that I wondered if I could use. Might not be the most sensible way to go, but I like mechanical stuff over electronic.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 03:15:52 PM »
That's a beautiful piece Larry... there is NO WAY the hood will close on it as it sits. I assume the velocity stacks are for dyno time only? Good luck, Val.

Test fit before I pulled the engine...

Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 03:18:46 PM »

Is that Parsons out of Cridersville? A couple of well known local FE guys back when I was a kid. Pretty sure he still has an FE powered '56.
I guess I didn't notice the cable drive tach whenever I looked at your car. I pretty much stay away from Ebay these days.
That cap looks like a standard Ford, but must be different. The FT, as far as I know, looks to be the same as a standard Ford cap. Something I'll have to look into a bit more. If you happen to think of the guys name that you got the cable from, shoot me a message. I'd appreciate it. And the stacks complete the look, so I planned on keeping them on also, although I've wondered about airflow into them at speed. Something you'll just have to test for, or just accept what it is. It's not like you're running a heads up class or anything.

Dan is out of Bellwood, PA.  He is at the FE events with a couple cars.  He supplies the beer for Friday Beer/Brats.

I do remember YOUR tunnel ram set up.  Polished to a TEE and just a crown jewel!  I'm going for the rugged "poor man" look.  LOL!!!

I kinda wondered about air flow at 130 mph and if it will actually pull fuel away and splash it on the windshield?  Time will tell.

A stock cap might fit, but Mallory uses a small pin to locate it not a large notch like a stock cap.  The distributor diameter might be different also?  I know it changes between std cap and crab cap because they are NOT interchangeable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:07:02 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 10:26:41 PM »
I put my dyno information in the dyno forum so if you are interested look here...

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=10842.0
Larry

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 11:17:46 PM »
Great looking car!!!!
Some in car videos will be fantastic to see (and hear) when you get to the track - or street for tuning.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 04:13:12 PM »
No street testing.

New motor(without tunnel ram)/transmission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3d4aj1lig

Old motor/transmission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdykqOiXxns
Larry

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 04:52:44 PM »
What am I doing wrong?
I'm logged in and do not see any paper clips or images, links are there.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 04:43:58 PM »
Hey Larry, engine is looking good! I haven't checked your dyno post out yet but will shortly. I did happen to see a glimpse of a Liberty Equalizer trans in front of the wagon. Looks like you have more changes you didn't mention? Spill the beans... LOL!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2022, 06:30:50 PM »
That was last winters upgrade!  I knew the new power was going to be tougher and tougher on that GF5R.  It was time to get something stronger.

I have pictures of the cutting and hacking it took to get it in there!
Larry

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2022, 08:36:28 PM »
Those valve covers are worth 10 hp on looks alone.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 10:45:41 AM »
Just my old Cal Customs that I blasted and clear coated.  Would love to find a set of gold Moroso! 
Larry

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 04:41:32 PM »
Not aware Moroso ever made any FE ones. I think just the Windsor, Cleveland and the 460 ones that look like a BB Chev..

You could make some, cut the centers out of SBC Moroso steel valve covers and weld them into some FE ones..

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »
Likely they didn't but thought they would look the part on it.
Larry

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
I think I have a set of MILODONs