Author Topic: Waste oil heater  (Read 1106 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Waste oil heater
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations on a waste oil heater? With winter around the corner I have been considering one.

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Waste oil heater
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
The shop I take my waste oil to dispose, has a Reznor. It works well, but you need a fair amount of oil to keep it fed, otherwise they were happy with it.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:22 PM »
I've had several over the years, both home built and off the shelf. Have had a Reznor and currently have an MX150 Lanair. The MX150 is a REALLY nice unit, is way bigger than my current 40x60 shop needs, but it only has to run for 15 minutes at most. It's fairly good on oil, I burn about 275 gallons on an average winter in the PNW. It would probably use more, but I also have radiant heat in the floor and use a combination to heat the building.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 02:18:48 AM »
Ok, this will be no help to OP, but it reminded me of something that happened over 20 years ago.

Buddy of mine and I were running a shop up in northern Wyoming, so the winters were long and brutal.

We spent a fair bit of money on a large waist oil heater to help keep the shop warm.
It took us the better part of a weekend to get it all installed, we hung it from the ceiling.
Then we spent untold hours for days getting a filtration and pump system sorted out. I can’t remember how many pumps we went through in the first few weeks we used it. In any case, most of this was done either after hours or on the weekends, and my wife at the time was pretty understanding about the long days and weekends. But after a while she finally couldn’t take it any more. One night as I was telling her that “I think we finally have the waist oil heater fixed “

She looked at me, dead serious, and said, “ Well, I hope so, but I just don’t understand why you need to heat the waist oil…?”

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
Mother Earth News sells good plans to build one.

Ron.