Author Topic: 56 T Bird Drag Car with Y block power!  (Read 2688 times)

mummert

• View Profile
Re: 56 T Bird Drag Car with Y block power!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 10:54:24 PM »
Great car, great pass - Little air time for the spectators, nice and smooth, no drama.   Good combo - .4 quicker than the left lane at 8 MPH less. 

That track not have 60' clocks?  I didn't see a cone, that's odd.

Good eye, some guy actually took the 60' ft  marker out during qualifying.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 01:48:08 AM »
How tight do you fit the main caps?
Frank

mummert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 03:20:28 AM »

It depends on the material they are made of and how rugged they are.  Y block factory caps have about .002-.0025" interference on 59' and later blocks (or what I call modern era).  58' and earlier blocks had just about none.
 Billet caps we've made out ductile iron from McMaster Carr have .0012" interference, and they fit tighter.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
Congrats John..and Todd.. The Y-Block has always punched above it's weight. Sometimes I am a voice in the wilderness over here, but I think some people are coming around  LOL  RPM of a die grinder  Torque of a locomotive.. and they are all side oilers!
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 08:58:14 AM »
Yeah they can do the same thing, but its a 90* V-8 thing as much as it is anything.  4 bolt main caps, cross bolted main caps, splay 4 bolt main caps are all things people do to make the blocks more rigid.  Most people assume that V-8's try to put a bunch of downward pressure on the main cap, but the 90* bank angle, crank counterweights and the other rotating parts tend to turn a downward motion into more of a side to side motion. When they get run hard they tend to skid the main caps side to side and that motion is what breaks blocks.  Stock main caps deflect ALOT.  Billet main caps that we have made over the years measure narrower than the originals and fit in the block harder.

I know people have fallen in love with the90* V-8 but it has many problems considering its a pair of odd fire 4 cylinders linked to the same crank.  Exhaust issues come to mind, that low rumble sound the vV-8 makes is an odd fire sound.

Never thought about it before, but do flat, boxer type engines have main caps?

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
>The Nova is a throttle stop car,  that video was taken in Super Pro electronics class.

That explains it - several here do that trick.

>Most tracks don't post 60' or 330'  times during eliminations.
As a bracket racer, I have never been to a track that doesn't hand out a full time slip unless there is some unsolvable problem with the track sensors.  60' and 330' are critical ETs for dialing the car.  If one of our sensors stops reading, we stop the race and fix it. 

mummert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
  I meant posting the times on the board during eliminations. Yes 60' clocks were taken out.  Don't know why they werent fixed.  I have been at Fontana and seen something similar happen.  During Divisionals there are so many cars that if they don't get through X amount a day the race doesn't finishup on Sunday by curfew.  Unless its an oil down, its minimum to keep going. 
 Many tracks are being encompassed by homes in CA. and have noise curfews.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
Ah, get it.  Our bords only show reaction, ET and MPH during time trials, then only dial with ET and MPH after crossing the stripe. 

I get the curfew too.  Lucky for us, it's midnight.    Before we had a track here, we had a once a year meet at the airport on a taxiway.  Rotary Club fund raiser thing.  It'd be nothing to have 250~300 cars on the property.  Only ET/MPH clocks, no lights.  And - no overnight parking on the airport between the taxi way and the associated runway.  So bring everyone in from the parking lot at 5AM Saturday.  Two time trials, jet cars (two shows) and a gamblers we never finished. .  Run everyone out, bring back in Sunday morning.  Dawn breaks, salute the flag, get 'em in the lanes.  Two on the line, two in the box, two picked to roll.  Every year seemed like the last two cars go down just about time we ran out of daylight.  That was a !@#$ load of work.  We had about 30 people tops to run the show for the weekend.  And maybe 10 to show up Monday to empty and put away all the trash barrels and return the bleachers to the parks.