Author Topic: Broader C6 Oil Mods?  (Read 7705 times)

galaxiex

• View Profile
Re: Broader C6 Oil Mods?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2021, 05:51:12 PM »
Appreciate that, I'll see what I have and let builder deal if its missing.

Is .020-.030 clearance in the forward drum with or w/o the spring plate?

I picked up the thinner, early Belleville spring. It sounds like I could have gone with the later spring though instead? Worth getting another one? Assume have to make up for this elsewhere in the stack though huh?

.020 -.030 clearance is fine in either forward drum.

Should not mix belleville springs from early and late.
Use the correct spring for the drum you use.

Early thin belleville in a late drum means the belleville will be loose in the drum, not good.

Late thick bellevelle in an early drum, you will have a helluva time getting the snap ring in, if at all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 07:27:58 PM by galaxiex »
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2021, 06:08:12 PM »
   I have an NOS Ford Motorsport high drum in the original box. The snap ring groove placement "looks" like a 4 clutch but these were sold as 5 clutch. Is that possible? I compared it to my used "original" CJ  5 clutch drum and saw the difference. I didn't test fit it for 5.
    Randy

If early spec. and you end up wanting to move it, let me know. ;)
High clutch drums.... any fit any year, only difference is the number of clutch plates.

General rules...

A 3 plate drum can be converted to a 4 plate.

A 4 plate drum can be converted to a 5 plate.

You CANNOT convert a 3 plate to a 5 plate.

The conversion is easy.

Take your 4 plate drum and install 5 frictions and 5 steels. No top pressure plate yet.
The stack will be very close to the snap ring groove.
Use a spare FORWARD CLUTCH bottom beveled pressure plate upside-down on top of the stack, and then install the snap ring.

Same for a 3 plate to 4 plate. except of course, only 4 friction plates total.

Alternatively you can cut/machine a new snap ring groove higher in the drum to get an extra plate and still use the normal top pressure plate.
This works for 3 to 4 and 4 to 5.

If you have a 3 plate drum and try to cut a snap ring groove high enough to install 5 plates...

... the second last steel plate will get hung up in the original snap ring groove and..... carnage!    You don't want that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:10:27 PM by galaxiex »
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

Jackal

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2021, 10:59:21 AM »
Looks like Broader's instructions mention eliminating the waved spring to get an extra one in there, but advises against using a lower pressure plate due to the leverage of the disc spring. Guess if he can source one for reasonable price Ill step up, otherwise Ill prob. settle for 4 disc.

Think I've settled on Stage 4 calibration w/o the VB channel cut, and the stiffer Shift Command spring w/o hex nut.

Jackal

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2022, 04:34:05 PM »
NVM
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:13:30 PM by Jackal »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2022, 10:41:35 PM »
I used to be possible to buy a specially-made 044 drum from TCI. You might check. It's been a while, but I think it even made possible a 6th clutch plate/steel. (Maybe I'm wrong)

KS

Jackal

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2022, 06:14:18 PM »
Thanks cammer.

I ended up with a pre-5/10/1967 unit that has a 57-tooth front ring gear vs. the later 90-tooth count. We sourced the pricey 57-th frictions, but is there any benefit to replacing the front ring gear with a 90-tooth unit? If so, are ANY other changes required?

I'm sending the VB and forward drum to Jay to have the shift kit installed, lube holes enlarged, and a new snap ring groove cut to hold #5.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:17:32 PM by Jackal »