Author Topic: FE X Block and a 390 build  (Read 8537 times)

FordFrom56

• View Profile
FE X Block and a 390 build
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
This is my first post here but I do read a lot of everyone else's.  I am in the early stages of putting together an FE the will go into my restored 66 F100 Long Box.  Before I forget to tell you it will be bolted up to a top loader.  A 3 speed first and then as money becomes available it will be a 4 speed.    I am going for a street and highway driven truck - no drag racing - but I do have a lead foot and enjoy as much HP as I can get.  Won't be a daily driver but more like once a week to and from work which is 13 miles one way. Out here in the country we have long straight roads. I would like to see 400 horses but would not be the end of the world with 375. Really need it to run on pump gas.  Here is what I have accumulated to build with but I would love for anyone to step in with suggestions or comments.  At this time I have about $2,500 to play with.  Thanks guys - Mitch

BLOCK SPECIAL HIGH NICKLE X CASTING (I'm told)
Fresh Bored at 30 over.
Casting (8K29) Nov. 29 1968 Date Code by Oil Filter Bolt Up
Oil Pressure Relief cast (but not drilled) behind flywheel on left side (Not sure what this is even for)
Normal Meaningless Casting numbers 60 352 66 427 and Mold #25 DIF
Raised X Centered RS Lifter Galley between two center cylinders

HEADS
C6AER - NO BIG R on Ends
(6E18) May 18 1966 Date Code - Both
These are going to machine shop tomorrow for porting and bigger 2.09 and 1.65 valves installed

PISTONS
Have not purchased yet.

CRANK
Stamped with 20 (I assume is a 2U 390 crank) 1 3/8 Pulley Snout
I am not set in stone with this crank.  I really need to check the stroke to see exactly what it is. I purchased this as a running engine and it had 410 pistons in it before the tear down but that was 4 years ago.  I have slept since then and forgotten some things.

INTAKE MANIFOLDS (Have both)
Cast C6AE 9425G 180 degree Dual Plane
Aluminum Edelbrock Performer 390

RODS
C7AEB (Short - 6.488) 762-784 Grams

CAM
Crane 343941
Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 272/284, Lift .533/.563
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216 int./228 exh.

Specific questions.
The Edel intake has much smaller ports than the heads.  I can see a flow problem here.
The heads need porting attention mostly to the exhaust ports?  Is that correct?
Is this block really a high nickle casting and something special?

I think you can view block images here.
http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/OnsiteRV/library/?page=1

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: FE X Block and a 390 build
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
Welcome Mitch! My only only thought/concern with your parts combo is the Performer 390 intake. Your worked over heads are going to want a lot more intake. A stock Performer RPM with no porting and just a little smoothing would be much better. On a 390, I doubt you could reach your HP goal with out some extensive porting on the Performer 390. Check out a post by Mr. Craine on the Performer 390.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1348006909/Edelbrock+Performer+390+stock+airflow+cfm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:12:07 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

FordFrom56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin - This was a concern of mine also it was just that I already had the Performer 390 sitting around - you know how you just accumulate things.  The cast C6AE 9425G would probably not suffice either with the opened up heads.  I will look for an PERFORMER RPM.  If anyone has a used one willing to sell I would be very interested to hear from you.  Always open to trading also - both of my manifolds are cleaned, sandblasted, and clear coated - ready to bolt on.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
Welcome Mitch!  +1 on the Performer RPM; you can't go wrong with that intake.  I like your cam choice, although a solid would be better, but then you'd have to have to have adjustable rockers.  The high nickel block business is considered myth by most knowledgeable people.  On the oil pressure relief casting at the back of the block, people more knowledgeable than me have said that it is sometimes there when certain patterns were used to cast the block at the foundry, and doesn't really mean anything one way or the other. 

I would look at some basic port work on the intake and exhaust side of the C6AE-R heads.  Going to the bigger valves is a good move, and with a little porting effort on both sides those heads will flow the same as 428 Cobra Jet heads.  You might want to have the shop flow the heads for you after the porting work, so that you know what you've got there.  Also while you are at the head shop, get the combustion chambers cc'd (or do it yourself if you can), so that you know exactly what the chamber volume is before you order your pistons.  Then you can be confident about the compression ratio.  Also when you order the pistons make sure they come up to zero deck height, so you get the maximum amount of quench. 

I did a quick DCR (Dynamic Compression Ratio) calculation for you and I think you will want your pistons to be about 10:1 for static compression ratio, to make best power with that cam and run on pump gas.  I assumed 72cc chambers in the heads and a 106 intake lobe centerline for this calculation.

Have you picked a carb?  My advice would be a 700 or 750 Holley double pumper.  I think you can get to 375 HP with that combination; you would need more cam to get to 400.

Good luck on the project - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FordFrom56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
Jay - Went ahead and bit the Performer RPM bullet.  Will have one here by next week.  No carb yet.  I run an Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) on my 72 F250 which sits on a Performer 390 atop a FE 410.  I will have to check the barn loft to see what carbs are up there but I'm pretty sure no double pumpers.  I will just put it on the list.   I expect to have a pretty good bill for the head work and will have to see what money may fall out of trees after that. 

The frame off restoration on the 66 F100 started in 07 and I'm approaching 2000 hours so I do not know why I should get in a hurry now other than I can actually visualize it going down the road where as a few years ago it was a pile of parts.  I was asked once why I put that much time and money in a pickup - I still don't have a good answer other than I grew up driving one around our Kansas farm.  Some crankshafts are turned by childhood memories. :)

plovett

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »
A Holley 3310, 750cfm vacuum secondary would work well, too.   They're cheaper and a lot easier to find than the double pumpers.   There's a guy on the other FE forum running 9's with one!

What octane gas are you going to run?  87? 92?

Are you going to use headers?   They're a great power add on as they are relatively inexpensive and they usually improve power through the entire rpm range compared to manifolds.

paulie

FordFrom56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Been away a couple days and ran into some questions from the machine shop when I took in the heads.  First off the place was insanely busy.  I told him I needed them cleaned and checked for cracks - light porting - and then CJ valves put in.  He told me that he probably could not put in hardened seats because of getting into the water jacket.  I mentioned all the research I had looked at and that this could be done on a set of C6AER's.  He wanted me to email him some info/research saying it could be done.   I have none.  Is there a website or someone I could direct him to for some info?  Hope you guys can help out in that area.  If all else fails then I can get them to another guy I have used before who is more familiar with these FE's.  One of my problems is that any machine shop is 100 miles one way and for me to get them and take them somewhere else could be a major set back due to my time restrictions of leaving work.

To clarify other questions here:  Would like to run on regular but could run on premium if it became necessary.  Yes - forgot to mention headers.  Have them and will run them along with 2.25 duel exhaust with an H or X pipe.  I own a pipe bender, auto lift and a welder so things like that are fairly easy for me.  I was originally going to run the Jelly Bean combustion chamber heads (C8AEH) as I already own them complete and ready to bolt on but have decided against them on this build.  I just need to make sure the headers flow through correct with the C6AER (s).

Thanks for the input guys.

plovett

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:35 PM »
For running on regular gas (vs. premium) I'd suggest a little lower compression ratio.   Maybe 9.5:1.   One other note regarding compression and DCR.   Crane measures their hydraulic cams advertised duration at 0.004" rather than the "norm" which is 0.006".   Not a big deal as there is not much cam movement at either of those lifts.   It'll make a small difference though.  If you measured a Crane Cam at 0.006" like almost everybody else does it would have less advertised duration.   

I'd also suggest 2-1/2" exhaust pipes.   An H-pipe or X-pipe is a good idea IMO.

I don't know where to find data or proof on hardened seats in C6AER's.   

paulie

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »
You shouldn't have any problem with hardened seats in the C6s, provided  he's not using  some overly large seat that isn't common. There are some issues with earlier C4 heads taking the support out of part of the seat area by busting into the port, but no water jacket issue that I'm aware of.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FordFrom56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
I am not stuck on this cam as it came brand new in the box with a bunch of other stuff I bought so I am not into it for retail $.  I would like to hear what others suggest might be better suited hydraulic for this application.  I know there will be varied opinions on cams but I look at them all and then make an informed decision which is always better than an uninformed one. 

I think this truck will weigh in at around 4,400 pounds with me in it.  I should have put it on a set of scales before I began the resto as it was an original V8 FE truck but you don't think about those things in the beginning.  I had a 72 Maverick Grabber back in the day with a well warmed over 302 and auto but it would not develop HP until about 4000 RPM and although a real runaway out on the highway was a pretty much a dog light to light in town.  In other words - Hated that Cam.

I am looking at Holley 3310 (4160) and see them $280 new for 3310S or 3310SA.  Anybody running them?  A decent carb - simple to tune? I have to admit freely that I am not a carb guy and know about enough to get me into trouble. 

Sifting through tons of posts take an enormous amount of time and I only have internet access at work.

Appreciate all the feedback -- Mitch

plovett

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
What rear gear are you going to run in the truck?   What size tires?   

paulie

FordFrom56

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
Running a 9 inch w/3.25 gears and 245/70/15 tires - Manual Transmission

plovett

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:20 PM »
Those tires are about 28.5 inches tall.   Combined with the 3.25 gear that makes for pretty high gearing.   If it were mine I'd go for no more than 9.5:1 static compression and I'd probably use a single pattern cam.

I like the Crane Engergizer 272H.  It has the same intake lobe as your cam, but the exhaust lobe is the same as the intake.  216/216 degrees @ 0.050".   I like the single pattern cam because your truck is going to have headers and dual exhaust so won't need as much help there.  A single pattern cam also tends to be a little stronger at low-mid rpms.  And the Energizer cam has a 110 degree lobe separation instead of 112.   A tighther lobe separation angle tends to help the mid range (peak torque) as well.   

All that said I think your cam will work fine, too.   

JMO,

paulie