Author Topic: 3/8 Ball/Cup Pushrods  (Read 931 times)

390rpm

• View Profile
3/8 Ball/Cup Pushrods
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:17:54 PM »
I got back to the shop this evening to measure the pushrod length. I have not checked them all yet, but to get a ballpark estimate I measured a couple across the banks. They were pretty consistent at 9.1955 give or take 0.0001". I only measured a couple, so that range may change. I tried to set the adjusters as equally as possible. I snaked my dial indicator tip down on to the lifter cup, and measured preload with one full turn of the adjuster. I think Brent said one turn would do it. It was dead on. I was a little surprised how accurate just eyeballing one turn was. I didn't have any 3/8 machinist gauge balls, so I used a depth gauge to check the cup depth to know exactly how much to subtract from the overall measurement. I think I could probably use 9.200 length pushrods if I can find any. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: 3/8 Ball/Cup Pushrods
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:56:14 AM »
I think I could probably use 9.200 length pushrods if I can find any.

It's not a big deal to have a set made to whatever length you need. For the manufacturer, it's just a matter of cutting to length and pressing in the tip. Try Smith Bros. (no relation).
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: 3/8 Ball/Cup Pushrods
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:00:21 AM »
I think I could probably use 9.200 length pushrods if I can find any.

It's not a big deal to have a set made to whatever length you need. For the manufacturer, it's just a matter of cutting to length and pressing in the tip. Try Smith Bros. (no relation).

Ditto, I used Smith Bros and they were easy to deal with, if you want through the trouble to check and optimize pushrod length, just order exactly what you need.  I ended up with .025" difference on intake and exhaust on my setup, no big deal when ordering.