Author Topic: toploader w/ big input shaft, need proper press plate  (Read 1277 times)

motorheadted

• View Profile
toploader w/ big input shaft, need proper press plate
« on: June 11, 2021, 03:24:40 PM »
My original set-up was std Mcleod press plate for FE 12" , big input shaft, but with Mcleod hyd t.o.b, replacing stock front brg retainer/t.o.b. tube.
After the HTOB blew out, decided to go mechanical (2013). Replaced the front housing with stock piece, and then needed tob, fork, etc . The front tube (1.75" dia ) needed a bigger tob. and the hole at the center of the fingers measures 3.125" dia. Mcleod had cut off the ends of the fingers to clear the tube, but they went too far, and I lost leverage with the shorter fingers.
I need a PP made for this set-up, but don't know who to go to. Anyone know what mfgr has the correct PP for the big input  T/L ?? Clutch is 12".

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: toploader w/ big input shaft, need proper press plate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
In the early summer of 1964, I switched from the T-10 that came in my '64 Custom/427 (the T-10 wasn't strong enough and I twisted off the output shaft) and installed a big in-'n'-out TL. I had to get the clutch disc and the fork from a Ford dealer who handled truck parts. They immediately knew what I needed. If you wee to talk truck parts with your clutch source, it might be of help---steer them in the right direction.

KS

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:05:30 AM »
You don't necessarily need a 12" clutch.  In  a lot of cases, an 11" will work perfectly fine. 

RAM makes a nice 11" Long style clutch, made for a big input Toploader.  It's part number 98988, rated for 550 hp. 

A couple of more options:

1.  Change the clutch master cylinder to 3/4" bore.  That usually is a great compromise between pedal travel and ease of pedal.

2.  Change the input shaft out to one of the new 1-1/8x26 pieces.  This not only adds strength to the input shaft (these are used in Magnum T-56 transmissions, modified to handle 800-900 hp) but opens up a wide variety of clutch choices.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »
     When using the 1-3/8" input shaft and the corresponding bearing retainer always check for adequate clearance between the fork fingers (of what ever style involved) and the throw-out bearing support tube extension in the travel distance utilized, as regardless of what the manufacturer may have claimed, sometimes there will be an interference issue.     ;)

Along with trimming the fork fingers it has also been successfully practiced to shorten the throw-out bearing support tube 'some' in order to acquire the needed clearance.     :)

Scott.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 05:02:06 AM »
Call Ft Wayne clutch in Ind they may fix the one you have or build you a new one

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
The need to shorten the  bearing retainer collar is because aftermarket big spline clutches tend to be made of 50's truck cores rather than Cobra Jet cores. Those use much thicker hubs.