Author Topic: Not exactly FE only.. Mustang front alignment issues X3.  (Read 3222 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Not exactly FE only.. Mustang front alignment issues X3.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 12:39:48 PM »
I guess I've had a little better luck. Everything was new under the frontend of the car, including Eaton springs. No arning drop. I'm on my fourth alignment with close to 10K on the car. Number 1 got the car going, #2 was after some wandering at speed from #1 and the rear spring swap. #3 came with the addition of the wheel side shock tower brace from Opentracker and new roller spring perches. The other spring perches were starting to clunk with 6000 miles. Same shop did the first three.

After close to 3000 miles, #4 came about due to an increased sense of wander and the car tracking with lines in the concrete or following the rutted path on a well used asphalt surface. It did come with some inner tire wear as well.  Reminded me of my old truck with bias ply tires. The next shop found the tires toe'd out. They didn't find anything loose under the front end. It still doesn't drive like I think it should, but it was better than what it was and we drove to the Mustang Steve Bash in Rockwall a couple of weeks ago. 

Neither shop was interested in using spec's from Opentrackers website. It was always a variance of the factory spec with a let's see how it drives follow up. I never took the time for a follow up visit in a reasonable time frame.

I never wanted to try my own alignments due to time and tools, but I have spent enough money to buy some decent tools to do the job. I might have to try my hand at it. At least I could make changes to see how it improves or gets worse as time allows.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
I know Steve. I drove over to his house. He did the roller bearing pedal conversion on my car. I didn't think to contact him about alignment. I think you hit on a key point. The tech ignored the provided information and used the specs the machine provided. It's going to cost them another 250.00 worth of front tires. It's  been raining too much here in Southlake so It will have to wait until the weather is suitable and I am home for more than a day and a half.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 11:59:44 PM by Keith Stevens »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 11:25:24 PM »
I hate hearing stuff like this,if I was close I would align your car....
Lance H

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 12:04:18 AM »
Thank you, Lance. That is very generous of you. This kind of crap makes a restoration frustrating and hard to just enjoy. Nothing worse than doing the same job over and over.
I am dreading the fall job that has to be done. I have to pull the engine to have inserts put into the rocker feed gallery.  I'm sick of flushing the radiator every couple months.
I'll wait until my fall vacation. 

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 09:03:00 AM »
If my FE gets that internal leak I would block those feeds off completely and go with push rod oiling.
I’m almost 100% blocked now running a hydraulic roller and Brent’s non adjustable rockers.

It’s said that alignment techs are forced to go by 55 year old bias ply tire alignment settings due to liability worry’s .

The number is 0- +1/2 camber, +3-4 castor (both the same) 1/8 toe in. Works great on street driven Mustangs.
Lance H

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »
While not for a classic I have used Thomason Tire in McKinney. I spoke with the alignment guy, Joe, about aligning my Mustang when ever I get it back on the road. He is an old school guy and enjoys working on the classics. Might be an option worth trying out.
Mike

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
I am in Southlake/Colleyville area but it might be worth the trip. Sadly I won't do it via the freeway. I will take a look at what it takes to get there.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »
Give them a call first to make sure he is still there.
Mike

badd68

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 02:14:24 PM »
I always tell people to go to Hunter's website www.hunter.com. Then use the "contact Hunter" feature to find local reps, they will know what shops they would recommend to work on old cars.

fwiw Mike