Author Topic: Suggestions for hidden coolant recovery tank. ( 67 Stang)  (Read 1338 times)

FE4SPDMustang

Suggestions for hidden coolant recovery tank. ( 67 Stang)
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:58:52 PM »
I have noticed the coolant recovery tanks/cannisters that are designed for use on the side of the radiator, but there is absolutely no room in an FE car and I would like to hide it. I thought maybe a small verticle unit I could hide underneath the nose support or under the right hand fenderwell behind the headlamp area. Anyone have any simple ideas? where to get them? If you have a particular suggestion a link to purchase?
I appreciate the pointers and suggestions.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for hidden coolant recovery tank. ( 67 Stang)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »
Before Drag Week 2015 I moved mine behind the passenger side headlight area, with a bracket to the side of the core support. I used one of those aluminum water bottles I got from the thrift store, turned upside down, so the threaded cap serves as the drain. Mine is just for the NHRA coolant overflow rules, mine doesn’t need an actual “recovery” tank.  I can try an get a picture tonight when I get home if you’re interested. Mine is a ‘67 Shelby though, so the headlight mounting is different and there might be more room with fiberglass nose.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »
   I use the stock windshield washer reservoir.

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
I have the dreaded slow leaking lifter feed. It doesn't lose much but the oil/coolant makes a mess of the chrome a and aluminum oil pan and suspension parts. Pictures would be great. The windshield washer is a bag being it's early 67.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »
I have the dreaded slow leaking lifter feed....The windshield washer is a bag being it's early 67.

The bag works just fine.  It's still a container, and that's all you need.  What is a lifter feed?  That's a new one on me.  I'm trying to think of an oil gallery but that doesn't make sense.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
I am using the washer bag on mine. Seems to work okay. Here's a link to another thread about this discussion and maybe a few more ideas for you: http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=9830.0
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
I have the dreaded slow leaking lifter feed....The windshield washer is a bag being it's early 67.

The bag works just fine.  It's still a container, and that's all you need.  What is a lifter feed?  That's a new one on me.  I'm trying to think of an oil gallery but that doesn't make sense.

The common crack that happens in the oil feed for the rocker feed. Just enough to make a mess of the coolant over a few months. I have to drain and flush the system. I will have to address it eventually.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »
Here’s looking up from underneath, towards the front. On my car the two holes on the side of the core support are there, unused. I think maybe on a regular Mustang they have something fastened there? In any case it gives the idea. Sorry for the wiring in the way of the picture. Aluminum water bottle has a small hole drilled in it for the overflow hose from the radiator, but if a person wanted they could thread a fitting in there to make a sealed tank.

Here’s the style of aluminum water bottle. You can usually find dozens of these at a typical thrift store, often in bigger sizes if needed. Normally about a $1 or $2, maybe a bit more for the larger ones. I think a lot of companies give these away as promotions. Lots of these even have a nice finish. The cap usually has a nice seal. NHRA rule is minimum 16 oz (pint) capacity, if you have something that regularly “pukes” more then go bigger so it doesn’t overflow. A 0.5 Liter bottle = 16.9 ounces.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:43:40 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V