Author Topic: Way off topic. Gas availability Tx-Co  (Read 2791 times)

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Way off topic. Gas availability Tx-Co
« on: May 12, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »
I’m hoping to get some real world info on gas availability for our big retirement move THIS WEEKEND.

So far there has been little to no negative effects on gas availability here in San Antonio,except for a price kick.

We are driving from San Antonio-Amarillo-Routan NM- Pueblo CO.
Anybody have knowledge of how gas availability is holding up along that way?

Thanks in advance.
Lance H

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: Way off topic. Gas availability Tx-Co
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 10:00:38 AM »
I live off I-20, west of Abilene.  Have not seen anything but the usual drifting prices.  Prices have been between 2.68 and 2.95 and that was Monday before the pipeline thing. Most are in the 2.80s right now.  No panic here, no lines at any stations. 

The Google Maps route has you coming through Sweetwater, Synder, Lubbock etc - I think you'll be fine.  I have to get fuel tonight in the truck, will update later if I need to.  I usually get it at the grocery store here, they are typically cheaper or as cheap as others.  Usually less than the truck stops.  If you find issues - I doubt - you could switch your route a little past Wingate onto 277N towards Abilene, take 707 north just before Caps, go past Dyess AFB to Tye where there is both a Flying J and DK truck stops.  Tye also has a Western Marketing fuel storage depot.   

Sweetwater has a Walmart Supercenter on the north side of I-20, east of Hyw 70 with pumps.  Cross under the freeway on Lamar (70) to Jenny George and turn right, will take you to the Walmart.  There's a Alon and a Chevron at the freeway, but they are small stations and usually crowded.  West of Sweetwater is a Loves on the north side and a Alon truck stop on the south. There is Pilot and Alon on your side of 84 at Synder - exit is 180 Lamesa/Roby. Route has you go north at Slayton, could go into Lubbock stay on 84, there is a travel center just before the 289 loop.  Then go east on the loop around and either go 62 east to Idalou get back on 400, or go on around a little more and catch 27 north to Plainview then Amarillo.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:21:01 AM by Falcon67 »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
Yes sir,that’s the route. We have driven it many times in the last 3 years.

That is the first hand info I was hoping for.

It’s not like the big freeze, where stations had gas but couldn’t sell it because the power kept going out as the stations re-booted the register’s.

Thank You
Lance H

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »
Have safe travels and congratulations on your retirement!  And the move.  Considering similar in a few years, maybe NM. 

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:50:16 AM »
If you don’t mind, can I pile on and ask availability in Tennessee?  Was supposed to head to F100 Nats in Pigeon Forge, coming from Richmond.  Many stations are empty locally

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
No firm reports on TN, but news is out there that North Carolina is having shortages. I am sure it is going to spread.
I still have a hard time grasping a pipeline supply THAT MUCH fuel.  Just seems like a lot for a pipeline given how much fuel is consumed daily, across that much geography.
Add to it, prices going up, should not happen unless in an area that is short (based on shortages and supply and demand).
The other kicker is shortage of fuel delivery drivers.....why did that not happen a year ago, mid pandemic?
Lotta stuff just seems off but it is what it is.

Note: unless fixed the I-40 bridge from AR to TN is closed.....if no one has heard.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:44:42 PM »
From CNN
"The supply crunch appears to be much worse in some major metro areas. Here's a look at some of the hardest-hit cities, according to GasBuddy, an app that tracks fuel demand, prices and outages.

Nearly three-quarters — 73% — of gas stations in Pensacola, Florida, are impacted.
About 72% of gas stations are reporting outages in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Outages are impacting 71% of the stations in metro Charlotte, North Carolina.
Nearly 60% of stations are impacted in Atlanta."

https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?_ga=2.22777651.908507618.1620844899-790990275.1620844899&q=pigeon%20forge

Attached is some of the stupidity.  I can't find the pic from yesterday that showed someone filling plastic bags with fuel.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
Might be time to disconnect critical systems from the internet. 

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »
Thanks, China.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 06:33:09 PM »

LOL no $&!#
Lance H

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 06:46:59 PM »
I couldn't go where I wanted to. It would constitute a political discussion which is sure to be terse in nature. What I do know is fuel has jumped almost a dollar here since 20 Jan.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:52 PM »
So you’re saying diesel doesn’t actually cost $4.00 a gallon? What’s lumber in the rest of the country? In western Washington a 4x4 fence post is $20.  A sheet of 5/8 cdx is $65. 7/16 osb is $50.  Stud length 2x6 about $12.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 03:13:05 AM »
Inflation? Increased costs of housing materials and energy? No problem, just sit at home and wait for "the government" to send you a check--problem solved. It reminds me of the image of a snake eating itself (ouroboros), but with a far different meaning than the mythical symbol.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
>So you’re saying diesel doesn’t actually cost $4.00 a gallon?
It's under $3 here retail

Gas was 2.87 last night and this morning.  Stopped last night to fill up, 8 pumps, just me.  Filled the truck and got 10 gallons of mower gas.  Would have got more but I forgot the plastic bags.  The Flying J was 2.87 this AM, the DK 2.85.  No lines or any hint of problems.

I've been "here" 23 years and before "here" I was in mfg for 20.  We sold/built/customized digital instrumentation to power/oil/food/misc process.  Usually interfaced with the on site SCADA systems.  Power included gas, coal and nuclear.  We were talking/warning/meeting about these issues 30 years ago, before there even was an internet.

Don't take this too wrong, but you know people that are perfectly happy with their flip phone and maybe own a computer running way out of date software but have to asked their grand kid how to install something - those were and in many cases still are the same people in charge of and running these systems.  It's not just digitial issues, there are a multitude of human factors at play also.  You have to train the people, force compliance with procedures and spend the money - lots of money. 

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 09:32:10 AM »
>So you’re saying diesel doesn’t actually cost $4.00 a gallon?
It's under $3 here retail

Gas was 2.87 last night and this morning.  Stopped last night to fill up, 8 pumps, just me.  Filled the truck and got 10 gallons of mower gas.  Would have got more but I forgot the plastic bags.  The Flying J was 2.87 this AM, the DK 2.85.  No lines or any hint of problems.

I've been "here" 23 years and before "here" I was in mfg for 20.  We sold/built/customized digital instrumentation to power/oil/food/misc process.  Usually interfaced with the on site SCADA systems.  Power included gas, coal and nuclear.  We were talking/warning/meeting about these issues 30 years ago, before there even was an internet.

Don't take this too wrong, but you know people that are perfectly happy with their flip phone and maybe own a computer running way out of date software but have to asked their grand kid how to install something - those were and in many cases still are the same people in charge of and running these systems.  It's not just digitial issues, there are a multitude of human factors at play also.  You have to train the people, force compliance with procedures and spend the money - lots of money.

I feel like we’re talking about two separate issues.  Training employees and keeping software updated is one issue.  The issue here is the bad guys hacked in and shut stuff down via internet access.  I’m suggesting we separate critical systems from the internet.  This pipeline is only 45% of fuel for a few states...could be worse. Large parts of the nation held hostage by an invisible enemy should not be possible.