Author Topic: battle wounds  (Read 5017 times)

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: battle wounds
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 08:25:34 PM »
The older you get, the better you should get at risk management.  Sometimes you just have to work through the pain.  Just no two ways about it.  But you are also more careful about putting yourself in a risk environment since you know the recovery period is going to be longer and probably more painful that when you were young.  So, yeah, as you get older, you do whatever you can to stay healthy but they day will come when that check engine light gonna come on.  It happens to us all.

I think the one thing I hate that I can't do a damn thing about is my vision.  I wear bifocals and it always seems that whatever I need clear definition on is right in that zone where bifocals and normal lenses don't cover...about two feet from my face.  Might as well be looking through a towel.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »
The vision thing is funny Gerry

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 09:35:18 PM »
It is called TRI-focals.  LOL.  Been wearing them for the last 15 years or so.  I was disabled back in 1976 while on active duty in USAF, given up for dead by military Doctor, and I was told by the ICU Dr. one night that I would not live until morning.  God has blessed me with life, and I will take the glasses, bruises, tears, aches and pains over the alternative any day.  My wife and I will be celebrating our 55th Anniversary next month, Lord willing, and I have enjoyed getting older with her more and more each day.  Working on cars and building engines has been a great way to keep the mind and body active and healthy.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 09:54:16 PM »
What he ^ said.
The last part.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
I've read the whole of the above with a smile. Later this month I'll hit the decade that starts with eight. I've been doing it all, and really noticed that I wasn't working as well as I used to about 15 years ago. But I'm actually about 29. It's just that my body doesn't see it that way. I expect to go until about 120!!! ;)

KS

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 11:59:31 PM »
Sounds like to need one of these then:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rotatingand-Magnetic-Furniture-Damaged/dp/B085Q4J8B2/ref=asc_df_B085Q4J8B2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459730407112&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18270892066841011092&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026836&hvtargid=pla-942898353962&psc=1

My problem isn't bleeding so much as it is the fact that on every project I attempt, I end up with every tool I own under the car. Even on an oil change, I need to get out from under the car three times b4 I have the correct drain plug socket. After that, I can't find the drain plug which inevitably fell into the drain pan.

Which is why we often find rounded off pan drain plugs, from people using an adjustable wrench...lol  I think I put more miles on, heading back and forth from the job to the tool chest, than I do actual miles driving.

I don't know about the patience though, Mr. Bill. Newer stuff is a pain in the ass to work on...no matter WHAT it is. I find my patience getting less and less with that crap. Older stuff? No problem. But I just want to chuck the newer equipment into the nearest trash bin. It's all disposable junk these days anyway.

I've been pulling out a lot of vintage parts to sell, and there are loads of water pump rebuild kits (flatheads), brake re-lining kits ('40s/'50s) etc. If I mentioned a "brake re-lining kit" to anyone today, I'd probably get some strange looks, but that's what used to be done.
Mike

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2021, 05:20:29 AM »
Congratulations Joe on 55 years. I tell anyone who will listen radiofrequency ablation saved me. We don't realize the damage we are doing standing and walking on that concrete floor 12 hours a day at work then everything we do after work. I also went and picked up some mats at tractor supply and put in front of my benches to stand on.
Mark.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 10:30:18 AM »
What he ^ said.
The last part.

+1 here!  Keeping your mind focused and curious is key!  Take care of your body as best you can.  Henry Ford famously said,  "Anybody who stops learning is old."
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2021, 11:13:51 AM »
I'm about 2 1/2 years behind Cammer and my body isn't to bad for my age. I'm sore, all the time and it's hard to get up and down and I can't do things as fast as I once did but, I manage. I'm grateful, for my good fortune.

I now, take to heart, what my mom used to say, "I'm in pretty good shape, for the shape I'm in".
Frank

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
You 'older' (no disrespect meant) fellas here are still pretty sharp. Count your blessings and thank the good Lord above. When you see what happens with people who develop Dementia or Alzheimer's, you start to think that getting "old" may not be such a good alternative after all. Quality of life matters, to me anyway. I don't want to end up hidden in some home where a stranger is wiping my butt and spoon feeding me. But I think I have at least a few more good years left on this marble.  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
The Henry Ford quote is key.
Also little things like washing your own cars.
Good exercise.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
I am a caregiver for my mom who has dementia. She will be 90 next November.

The men in my family live to be about 70 so I expect the same for me. I'm 61 so that is a motivator for me to get things done 'cause time is running out. The somedays need to be cashed in.

Like everybody else, my skin bruises and tears easily, and if I even look at a piece of sheetmetal blood starts coming out of my arms or hands somewhere. Still pretty strong but not like I used to be. Don't want a lift or pneumatic tools, after working on cars for 40 years those things remind me of work which I was able to retire from.

Love to go outside and work on my hot rod...just at my own pace.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »
  This year I'll be '69 and some actions that never hurt are begining to hurt now. Dad lived to 96 so I still have a few years left in the bank. I'll re evaluate at 80 , until then , full speed ahead.

mike7570

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 01:47:16 PM »
My father lived with me until he passed away last year at 92 1/2yrs. You guys in you 60's and 70's haven't seen thin skin yet (it only gets worse). I found I couldn't even help him get up off the couch unless I was very careful of how I touched him. I'm getting the usual cuts and bruises at 65 that I expected but I sure don't look forward to it getting worse. I think I'm going to finish this one last car build and then just enjoy it as long as I can, after that it's paying people to do it. (I hope the 401K holds out)