Author Topic: battle wounds  (Read 5016 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
battle wounds
« on: May 11, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
i have been working on putting the 428 4 speed in my 66 comet for a couple weeks now.im down to the pass side header and starter.but,everything i touch or install is beating me up.i have banged my fingers wrists,arms,elbows.i have cuts and bruises all over.people at the store probably think im on drugs or have some kind of skin problem.my skin is getting thinner too the older i get,thats makes it to where every little bump or nick bleeds or bruises.thats part of it.i might have some arm skin left when i get done. p.s. i just got out from under my car,a spring was hanging from my z bar and when i crawled out it snagged my arm and was stretching it as i slid out.another nice hole in my arm.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

FE4SPDMustang

Re: battle wounds
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »
Getting old sucks. My hands always have some kind of cut or scratch. It looks terrible in uniform. If it's not the cats rough housing with me, it's the car.
The big block in tight confines makes it all that much worse. I try and wear gloves but they aren't practical for working blind and starting fasteners.
I feel your pain..

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Same problem here.
But it does give the local gossips something to talk about.
Greg

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:03:40 PM »
Chicks dig scars
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »
Try doing that on blood thinners it will look like a crime scene.

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »
Hahaha!!  I had open heart to repair an atrial septal defect and was on blood thinners for about two months. The cat swatted my ankle and punctured a small capillary. I felt a sting and looked down and thought I had a small drill bit sticking out. When I reached down to remove it I found out it was a small stream of blood. I had a puddle in two places and had squirted it all over the area rug before I noticed it. I sat down and applied pressure to try and get it stopped. I ended up walking to the bathroom and putting my leg under cold water in the bathtub. My wife came home from work and started screaming. I walked out to see what all the commotion was about. She was white as a ghost. She said she the first thing that came to mind was that my chest had popped open. I couldn't stop laughing and she was more angry than a wet hen. 
On a more serious note; As we get older we are much more prone to injury that wouldn't have been an issue in our 30's and 40's. After 50 the whole world changes and you get aches and pains from the most simple of activities. I just got here but getting old isn't for sissies!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:08:55 PM by FE4SPDMustang »

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 08:20:18 PM »
one thing is for sure.its worth every scar,bump,bruise,cut when you fire the FE up.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:02:30 PM »
I agree with the getting old thing. My knuckles are swollen at all times, I have psoriatic arthritis that sometimes is just brutal. Remember when you stuck your arm somewhere were it should never be able to get into and you took it out and didnt even have a scratch. Now like someone said my arm would be bruised and scratched up and probably bleeding. But you have to admit our pain tolerance is triple the amount of a regular person. Us mechanics very rarely miss work no matter what happens. I owned my own business for 23 years and maybe missed 10 days and that was because of my three hernias. Im now a truck mechanic and lifting even heavier shit and Ive been here 8 years and havent missed a day. That being said I wouldnt trade a minute cause then I probably wouldnt have my Stang.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 11:54:17 PM »
I hear you all.  It seems for the last few years, when working around and under cars, I keep muttering "This is a young man's game!"

Speaking of gushers, I had one yesterday with the oil pump test rig.  I blew a 1/2" high pressure line out of a fitting when it was running 80 psi.  A whole lot of oil got to a whole lot of places in a big hurry  :-[  With age comes patience, I guess, because today everything is cleaned up and running fine.

I haven't posted on that in awhile, because I'm working on a really hard development project.  It's very interesting and I will be sharing with you guys when it's a bit further along...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »
Chicks dig scars

I wondered why so many hot young women kept hanging around and drooling over me, now I know.
They are 300 year old vampires !!!

Me to, I can get close to a bush and I bleed under my skin.
Woody

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 06:38:01 AM »
It takes me 5 hours to install the Crites tubes in my 67 Fairlane. I write down on a note pad how many times I go in and out from under the car and show it to friends who own Chevelles for a laugh. After laying out all the necessary  assorted wrenches, ratchets and sockets on a fender it looks like a surgeons table getting ready for an operation.
Of course this leads to loss of skin off knuckles, wrists and forearms. Forget about gloves in those confines. No shortage of blue words being uttered either!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:56:30 AM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »
My problem isn't bleeding so much as it is the fact that on every project I attempt, I end up with every tool I own under the car. Even on an oil change, I need to get out from under the car three times b4 I have the correct drain plug socket. After that, I can't find the drain plug which inevitably fell into the drain pan.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 07:44:40 AM »
My problem isn't bleeding so much as it is the fact that on every project I attempt, I end up with every tool I own under the car. Even on an oil change, I need to get out from under the car three times b4 I have the correct drain plug socket. After that, I can't find the drain plug which inevitably fell into the drain pan.

Which is why we often find rounded off pan drain plugs, from people using an adjustable wrench...lol  I think I put more miles on, heading back and forth from the job to the tool chest, than I do actual miles driving.

I don't know about the patience though, Mr. Bill. Newer stuff is a pain in the ass to work on...no matter WHAT it is. I find my patience getting less and less with that crap. Older stuff? No problem. But I just want to chuck the newer equipment into the nearest trash bin. It's all disposable junk these days anyway.

I've been pulling out a lot of vintage parts to sell, and there are loads of water pump rebuild kits (flatheads), brake re-lining kits ('40s/'50s) etc. If I mentioned a "brake re-lining kit" to anyone today, I'd probably get some strange looks, but that's what used to be done.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 08:18:52 AM »
Brake relining kits that just before my time Doug I gotta be older than you. And yes I agree the newer stuff is a pain in the ass to. A lot more troubleshooting and electrical. And it always seems like the part that needs to be changed is in the worst spot.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »
Us youngings are hoping to have enough time and money to be you guys some day. ;D I did a number on my knees while redoing the interior in the Cougar. Less flexible these days so my hands tend to cramp up at random. Less agile too so misjudge and bump my head on stuff. A good cup of coffee after some gearhead victory helps. I am trying not to joint the "Ibuprofen gang" but it's probably only a matter of time.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO