Author Topic: Disease please, I'll take two.  (Read 84239 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Disease please, I'll take two.
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
That is awesome!  Nice, clean installation, will look great with those 8 coil wires looping over the valve covers. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2020, 08:57:20 PM »
Wow! It is really looking good Marc! Looks like a lot of work everywhere, very cool build all around, I like it! It is really going to be a one of a kind when you are done, looks like you are getting very close now.

One question, I went back and looked but didn't see any mention of your distributor "spud" or delete plug you have there, looks nice! Can you tell me what you did there to get where your at with it? I am sure you cut down a distributor but where did you get the "top hat" or whatever you want to call it? Looks good and clean, I assume there is a roller bearing there? I need to do something along the same lines, and haven't tackled it yet, could use some guidance. Thanks.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2020, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks gents.
The spud. Our friend Mr. Brown is the creator of that little jewel.
Just send him an old one and he will machine it for you. Actually I’m sending him another for a spare. I was going to ask him if he could do a little something with the cap to match it to the adapter and coil racks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:07:30 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2020, 11:51:18 PM »
Thor, I just cut the distributor body off in the lathe, and the shaft also but leave the shaft a little longer.  Then I machine a cap that has a counterbore for a sealed bearing, with the ID of the bearing the same as the OD of the shaft.  The cap is drilled and the remaining distributor housing is tapped so that they bolt together.  I usually just make the caps round and use a regular distributor hold down clamp to hold it in place, but on Marc's I made that oblong top so that it would just bolt into the normal hold down hole in the intake.

Marc, I'm sure I could machine a custom top if you wanted one, but it might be a while before I could get to it...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2020, 08:09:23 AM »
That oblong top works perfectly to bolt down.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

mike7570

« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
I was going to post some pictures of a little progress I made on my mustang, but there is no way I'm following Marcs post.
Your making mine look like an amateur built it. I keep reminding myself if it's a real race car it's not going to be a show car.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
I’ll bet yours is awesome Mike. I’d really like to see it. B’sides race cars are cooler.
But thanks for the positive vibes.
I keep swearing it’s not a show car, I’m gonna drive it and run it. But I’ll prolly hit a show or two ::) Just to finally get to yak with Tommy T. :)
Pulled the mocked up engine harness out and got to building it. Started at the end and worked my way back toward the firewall until all 8 were covered. Then put it back on the car to make sure it still fit. While it was on I could now get an idea where the bulkhead connector would be. Marked it and took it back off the car. Now just waiting for the connector. I really hate to go through that beautiful firewall but I’m going to pop it through at the bottom just before it turns under the car. That way you can’t see it from most views of the engine room.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2020, 10:52:21 PM »
Very cool...love the attention to detail...One of my other projects is a 66 Fastback with a 428CJ 4spd..I am on a different road than you tho..Mine looks all oem and I am dealing with shock towers.Along with the day to day challenges come the setbacks..I look forward to seeing the finished product.....Well done.

On a side note ...I agree.I like the valve covers raw.My 68 427 car has Jays adaptor and  H/M pent roof covers along with lots of (me) fabricated aluminum parts.I had everything ceramic coated and then I altered the finish so it all has that raw look but is coated...
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »
One of my other projects is a 66 Fastback with a 428CJ 4spd..I am on a different road than you tho..Mine looks all oem and I am dealing with shock towers.
You are a very brave man.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2020, 11:43:20 PM »
Thanks....One of the more polite things I have been called (har har)..As with most of the things we do it comes with its challenges....Cory.
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:26 AM »
Cory I would love to see you do a thread on this car. Putting an FE in a first gen is wrought with problems to work out. Not the least of which is why in the first place because of the weight difference. How you deal with that and the fitment/power problems is very interesting to me and I’m sure to most of the guys here.
My view is if it’s not a significant car to start with (like a Shelby or K) then do whatever you want. There are plenty of crappy modified mustangs out there. I did a couple of them as a kid ;)
Raising the bar as you have is a good thing. Would love to see what you’ve done.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2020, 10:30:47 PM »
When I am done with it I will...It's actually my brothers car and we have discussed building it for close to 30 years..I did not have the skill set to do it then tho...Its going to make people scratch their heads.The CJ looks all oem(ish).I used all 67/68 FE stuff under the hood like rad,clutch linkage and stuff.Rad cradle has the center of the 67/68 one grafted in.Shock towers are the oem ones that I cut into a dozen pcs and welded all back up.I added two torque boxes.Little changes that people wont see right away other than the WTF when they see the hood open..

The car is also built to not look current but just freshened up.I have had to keep my attention to detail in check..
There is some David Copperfield stuff going on here as well.....Cory
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
Very cool
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2020, 12:20:37 AM »
I’ll bet yours is awesome Mike. I’d really like to see it. B’sides race cars are cooler.
I keep swearing it’s not a show car, I’m gonna drive it and run it. But I’ll prolly hit a show or two ::) Just to finally get to yak with Tommy T. :)
Pulled the mocked up engine harness out and got to building it. Started at the end and worked my way back toward the firewall until all 8 were covered. Then put it back on the car to make sure it still fit. While it was on I could now get an idea where the bulkhead connector would be. Marked it and took it back off the car. Now just waiting for the connector. I really hate to go through that beautiful firewall but I’m going to pop it through at the bottom just before it turns under the car. That way you can’t see it from most views of the engine room.

Yak with Tommy-T? You think very highly of yourself! ;)
Seriously, I do love car shows. Yours is a great example of a car that can go to a show and go to the track. Something to do all summer long. I have plenty of track time under my belt, but I break a lot less parts at car shows. A driving your car to the track and beating someone who has trailered theirs is SO much fun. Another problem for me at the track is that I love to see all the cars run and sitting in the staging lanes with yer helmet and jacket on and not seeing them run is a drag (pun intended).
Of course sitting in a long slow line getting into a car show is a drag too. I just love to YAK with everybody at car shows.
This covi-flu thing is making me crazy. I've already missed a few shows that I signed up for, and the Nitro Revival at Irwindale was moved from this month to October.
Geeze!
Your car looks great! See you this summer...hopefully!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:15 AM »

I use shrink hose on the end of that ....harnes sock or whatever it is called ::) so it stay in place and not fray

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it