Author Topic: Does a crankshaft actually sag if stored on it's side...  (Read 4817 times)

philminotti

• View Profile
Does a crankshaft actually sag if stored on it's side...
« on: May 16, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
Or is that an old wives tale?  If so, is it months, years, or decades?

Phil

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Does a crankshaft actually sag if stored on it's side...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »
Theoretically true.  If you consider that molecules not at absolute zero are free to move around and that seemingly solid objects are always fluid, then a crank can sag.  But you have entropy too, so it's possible that you could lay it down one day and come back the next day and it's a dust pile of Fe.

I always store things as safely as possible.  I've never seen a crank fall off the floor or fall over while laying on its side.

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
I hear you on the safety issue... It's currently laying on my bench...but my wife and children have been known to repurpose my tools from time to time, and I would absolutely lose my shit if I walked into my shop to see it fallen over if I had it standing up!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 03:29:31 PM »
You can put back in its box, it will be safe there.   It's ok to store them on their side.   Think of how many crankshafts are stored in their boxes with only the nose and hindend supported.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

ch3no2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
I hang'em.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
Could machine shops standing cranks on end due to lack of storage space and not because cranks bend be the daddy of this idea ?
Woody

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
Yes.  You can go to outer space vertical.  Horzontal, just to the end of your garage.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:58:25 PM »
If you live on Long Island and get your crank cut at any shop it goes to one guy. He says he does about 80 percent of the cranks from the engine shops. We were talking about this subject and he said that laying a crank on its side will never bend or warp a crank.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »
I hang'em.

Careful, they might stretch doing that!  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 11:59:07 PM »
After I install an engine in a car, I always store the car vertically, if I don’t intend to drive it for an extended period.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 06:35:15 AM »
This one always seemed silly to me.  If you stand it on end, are the bending forces also still not at work, trying to pinch the counterweights together?  The crank is more supported on it's side than standing, the way I see it. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 06:46:21 AM »
This one always seemed silly to me.  If you stand it on end, are the bending forces also still not at work, trying to pinch the counterweights together?  The crank is more supported on it's side than standing, the way I see it.

If you live on Long Island and get your crank cut at any shop it goes to one guy. He says he does about 80 percent of the cranks from the engine shops. We were talking about this subject and he said that laying a crank on its side will never bend or warp a crank.

I agree completely, silly to think it cannot support it's own weight, especially cast iron

After I install an engine in a car, I always store the car vertically, if I don’t intend to drive it for an extended period.

Yes.  You can go to outer space vertical.  Horzontal, just to the end of your garage.

8) Got a kick out of both of these
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 07:19:59 AM »
Considering all new cranks that I have seen, come in boxes, with the crank horizontal, I would doubt it is a real issue. I CAN say, that if you have a bunch of FE cranks standing on the floor, upright, and one tips over, causing a Domino effect, chances are very good  that some damage will occur!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »
Considering all new cranks that I have seen, come in boxes, with the crank horizontal, I would doubt it is a real issue. I CAN say, that if you have a bunch of FE cranks standing on the floor, upright, and one tips over, causing a Domino effect, chances are very good  that some damage will occur!

It usually happens when you are trying to get the 3rd one back and in a hurry :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 07:43:11 AM »
Yes.  You can go to outer space vertical.  Horizontal, just to the end of your garage.

You actually go to outer space horizontally - the vertical part of the trip is comparatively short

As for the crankshafts - Doug's "stretch" comment is pretty awesome...