Author Topic: 390 Stroker on the Dyno  (Read 28250 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: 390 Stroker on the Dyno
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
I have the dyno sheets from testing back-to-back manifolds with divider, and without/modified divider cut down similiar to the one Barry R. ran on his EMC engine.  On another EMC engine the cut down divider lost 12-14ftlb torque, causing the overall points value to be lower, so the manifold with divider was run, and it produced the best point value in the EMC competition.  I have a 351C Torker intake that has a divider welded in that I would like for Jay to test when he starts comparing different intakes on one of his adapters.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
I've seen those Offy goose neck carb adaptors at a local swap meet for cheap. No wonder they were so cheap huh?  They would make a neat ratrod two hole outhouse perhaps?  ;D

Now these deals look like they would be worth a go on the dyno.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Weiand-Tunnel-Ram-Aluminum-Spacer-Gasser-Ford-351C-Cleveland-Riser-2-Tall-/231452891480?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e3aad958&vxp=mtr

Kevin McCullah

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
Joe, do you consider that to be a given on most all dual planes? Because I seem to remember someone testing the Edelbrock RPM with a "notched" divider that made more power. It seemed to help pretty well if I remember correctly, but I can't remember who or where it was done.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
Is this what your thinking, Doug?

http://www.fepower.net/Dyno%20Results/dyno_results_6.html

Edit: Can't get the link to paste right with my BlackBerry.  >:(

Fixed it for you - Jay
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:35:51 PM by jayb »
Kevin McCullah

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »
I have done testing with the divider notch, and without the divider notch.  It seems that with a spacer on some combinations the notch may work.  I have also seen on the dyno where there was a dip in the torque and hp curve at an unusual rpm that did not make sense, and it was because of that slot.  When a manifold without the slot was used, the dip on the graph went away.  It all comes down to testing, and trying every conceivable combination to find what works and what does not.  I also find that on my flow bench when flowing dual plane intake manifolds that the ports nearest that slot have a turbulence, and lose flow at higher flow ranges on the bench.  I believe that is the cause of torque fluctuations on the dyno.  Depth of the plenum is also a factor because the deeper the plenum is, the more space is available for the airflow to turn into the runners instead of bouncing off the floor and having to make a right turn to get into the ports.  Ted Eaton has done extensive testing with spacers with and without slots, and he has a lot of good information available on his web site.  I have helped/watched several of these tests, and can verify what he prints there to be true.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:57 PM »
That must have been it. Failing memory syndrome I guess ::)
But the test seems to back up what you say, since the spacer seems to be the bigger factor in that test, even if the notch did help.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe