Author Topic: Thoughts of boredom  (Read 1238 times)

wowens

• View Profile
Thoughts of boredom
« on: April 10, 2021, 07:19:32 AM »
As I sit here bored and watching Roadkill Garage do stupid things I had a couple of stupid thoughts.

Engine gurus talk about performance builds having vacumn at WOT means the carburetor is too small. Does that mean at WOT you can never achieve full HP potential with vacumn secondary carbs ?

Modern supercharged engines with intercoolers. If you put a A/C evaporator coil under the supercharger and a running  compressor. Will the cooling effect on the intake charge make enough extra HP to overcome compressor loss and more HP over the normal intercooler ?

I'm taking a nap now !
Woody

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts of boredom
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »
As I sit here bored and watching Roadkill Garage do stupid things I had a couple of stupid thoughts.

Engine gurus talk about performance builds having vacumn at WOT means the carburetor is too small. Does that mean at WOT you can never achieve full HP potential with vacumn secondary carbs ?

Modern supercharged engines with intercoolers. If you put a A/C evaporator coil under the supercharger and a running  compressor. Will the cooling effect on the intake charge make enough extra HP to overcome compressor loss and more HP over the normal intercooler ?

I'm taking a nap now !

Carb question - no - A vacuum secondary does not use manifold vacuum to open the secondaries, it uses airflow from an oirifice in the primaries.  The venturi effect pulls on the circuit.  If the airflow is adequate, it will open

A/C for an intercooler  - There is no free lunch, the efficiency of of pulling the heat out of the a/c system is more expensive than you will get paid back.  Potentially, you could run an electric system on a race car and not recharge a dedicated battery, but it would take a big motor and battery to power the cooling and would cost you in weight.  Best bet is to get free airflow racing by

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
I think the new hellcat has the ac running in the intercooler .

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »
The concept was developed, back in 1993, a Ford concept called the "Supercooler". However while it did work for a few seconds, the heat load under boost quickly overwhelmed the AC system. Leaving the vehicle occupants with no ac. I'm not sure if the concept ever reached production, though I was aware it was considered for the supercharged Lightning.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »
that was just like the old days , you want ac and be cool or do you want more horse power to be faster and be cool .

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
that was just like the old days , you want ac and be cool or do you want more horse power to be faster and be cool .
Screw the cool, I have a " need for speed "
Woody

plovett

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:31:45 PM »
I think the A/C cooled intake charge is a great idea.  But as Ross stated, there is no free lunch.  You have to pay for it sometime, somewhere.   However, for drag racing it is great as you can get the benefits for a short period of time, i.e. the quarter mile, then pay for it later when you don't need maximum power, as your car is idling along afterwards on the return road or cooling down in the pits.

paul