Author Topic: Tremec TKX in a FE  (Read 4905 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Tremec TKX in a FE
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »
So I received my new TKX. I bought it from Hanlon Motorsports in St. Peters, PA. Good guy, dealt with him years ago with my WCT-5's in my old 5.0's. He's pretty busy and said it will be a few weeks until he can help with my input shaft mods. He's worried about the possibility of screwing up the input while modifying it. Apparently there are no "spare" inputs as all are heading for production units.

So to can get a jump on my thoughts. I'm thinking all I need is to cut the snout to the length of my 1-3/8-10 toploader input and turn the splines down for proper pilot engagement? I'm planning on using my Lakewood Scattershield, unless.......? Are the Quicktime bell housings for FE designed for the short input or longer like SBF? If the TKX fits without an input modification I might just get the Quicktime. If both are the same depth I may just keep the Lakewood.

Brent Lykins mentioned to use a small input fork and t/o bearing. I assume the smaller diameter bearing would not contact the three fingers on my Ram pressure plate? What are my options there, diaphram style pressure plate?

I know there isn't much experience on the TKX yet but thought some of you might have some good thoughts going forward.

According to an email I got from Tremec this morning. A "short" input for the TKX for Fords is something wayyyyy out there.

Thanks,

Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Tremec TKX in a FE
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
You will need a different pressure plate, the throw out bearing will not contact the fingers in the right spot. 

Cutting the input shaft down is pretty involved, it has to be cut down in several spots and the input shaft bearing retainer has to be cut down too.

They are not cheap, but a Quicktime for a standard length input TKO would be a lot easier...
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
Good to see the TKX really does exist!

On my TKO, the shorter input shaft was important so the shifter tower fit into the existing tunnel hump, and the driveshaft length stayed the same as a toploader, since I had recently spent a good bit of money on the driveshaft.

From the pic of the TKX, the tunnel hump may not be as big a deal since the tower looks shorter than on a TKO.  Seems like a calculation of the cost of a spacer (or new scattershield) and a driveshaft revision, vs the cost of a shorter input shaft.

I've had good luck with the McLeod diaphragm pressure plate and disc with my setup, and has held up well going low 11s.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:30:59 PM by JamesonRacing »
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »

On my TKO, the shorter input shaft was important so the shifter tower fit into the existing tunnel hump, and the driveshaft length stayed the same as a toploader, since I had recently spent a good bit of money on the driveshaft.

From the pic of the TKX, the tunnel hump may not be as big a deal since the tower looks shorter than on a TKO.  Seems like a calculation of the cost of a spacer (or new scattershield) and a driveshaft revision, vs the cost of a shorter input shaft.

I've has good luck with the McLeod diaphragm pressure plate and disc with my setup, and has held up well going low 11s.

So it looks like the Quicktime RM-6056 is 7.150 deep. Using this would require no need for the input mods, correct? Maybe that is the way to go? Would the Quicktime use a small input Ford fork?

Thanks,
Doug Bender

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »

I've has good luck with the McLeod diaphragm pressure plate and disc with my setup, and has held up well going low 11s.

So it looks like the Quicktime RM-6056 is 7.150 deep. Using this would require no need for the input mods, correct? Maybe that is the way to go? Would the Quicktime use a small input Ford fork?

Thanks,

Yes, QT bell can use either fork.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »
You can get a spacer that fits between the lakewood bell and the transmission to correct the spacing. I have one don't need would sell. You can find the new too.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »
You can get a spacer that fits between the lakewood bell and the transmission to correct the spacing. I have one don't need would sell. You can find the new too.

Thanks but I'd prefer not to use a spacer. I have a Quicktime bell to fit the Tremec on the way.
Doug Bender

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
I'm interested if you will need tunnel enlargement and where the shifter is at.

Ron.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 02:39:21 PM »
How much longer is the SBF input over FE ?
Is it something that an extra block plate or two would make up the difference ?

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »
It’s about .600”

I shortened ,or had shortened,an old TREMEC input. My machinist had to grind it not just cut it.
Lance H

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
I noticed something on the Modern Driveline website about the output shaft of the TKX. 

"The TKO offers a little more adjustment approx. 5/8" at the tail shaft vertically for the driveline angle.  Perfect for Pro-Streeters who love to tuck the rear suspension up into their ride"

Can someone explain what this means, are they saying the output is 5/8" higher than the TKO?

mtburger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 11:41:08 AM »
So I am going to TRY to not be too negative.

I have been interested in installing a TKO, now TKX transmission, in several of my cars over the years.

I keep coming back to this issue with the input shaft length.

These transmissions are a serious expenditure, and then to add the additional cost of $800 (+ or -) for an aftermarket bellhousing, when the Ford toploader input shaft length has basically been 6.5 inches since the beginning of time, is truly inexcusable.

That, or having to use a spacer plate and then screw around with shifter placement.

It is just stupid.

I have used a spacer in one such application and the damn thing split right through two of the holes that are close together out the side.

One would like to think, if you are in business to sell these units, they would have got the dimensions correct on the input shaft so that you can use OE bellhousings that are readily available for under $100.00 to help keep the cost down and sell more units.

After hearing about the re-design, smaller footprint, upgraded synchro's, Kevlar coated blocking rings and everything else they ought to be able to figure this one out, but obviously not and it is incredibly disappointing that it hasn't been able to happen.

Mike Howard.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:42:44 AM by mtburger »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 12:10:58 PM »
I noticed something on the Modern Driveline website about the output shaft of the TKX. 

"The TKO offers a little more adjustment approx. 5/8" at the tail shaft vertically for the driveline angle.  Perfect for Pro-Streeters who love to tuck the rear suspension up into their ride"

Can someone explain what this means, are they saying the output is 5/8" higher than the TKO?

I believe what they are comparing to is location from top of transmission . TKX has a trim upper portion compared to TKO so you gain 5/8 is what I assume they mean ? that's how it fits without needing the tunnel mods compared to the TKO series

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 11:17:42 PM »
So I am going to TRY to not be too negative.

I have been interested in installing a TKO, now TKX transmission, in several of my cars over the years.

I keep coming back to this issue with the input shaft length.

These transmissions are a serious expenditure, and then to add the additional cost of $800 (+ or -) for an aftermarket bellhousing, when the Ford toploader input shaft length has basically been 6.5 inches since the beginning of time, is truly inexcusable.

That, or having to use a spacer plate and then screw around with shifter placement.

It is just stupid.

I have used a spacer in one such application and the damn thing split right through two of the holes that are close together out the side.

One would like to think, if you are in business to sell these units, they would have got the dimensions correct on the input shaft so that you can use OE bellhousings that are readily available for under $100.00 to help keep the cost down and sell more units.

After hearing about the re-design, smaller footprint, upgraded synchro's, Kevlar coated blocking rings and everything else they ought to be able to figure this one out, but obviously not and it is incredibly disappointing that it hasn't been able to happen.

Mike Howard.
I agree, the new TKX sounded like a dream come true as a replacement for my 4 speed Toploader. But if they choose not to offer a version that would be a direct replacement, other than maybe driveshaft and maybe speedo cable, it`s a no go. Not interesting in having to use adapter or spacer plates, or having to disassemble a brand new transmission to cut down the input shaft, or buy a different bellhousing. If shortening the input is such a minor deal, why doesn`t the factory offer them that way? Making a Gear Vendor sound better and better .
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 12:03:42 PM »
I've run smallblock toploaders before on FE's without a problem . In my 67 Ranchero i changed the close ratio gearset in the original tranny for wide ratio out of a 289 Mustang and used the original 11 1/2" C6OE bellhousing. There is plantly of clearance to thepilot bushing and bearing retainer to disc. Check and measure. May be slight mods or need a very thin spacer.