Author Topic: Thoughts on Molnar rotating assembly?  (Read 2353 times)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
Thoughts on Molnar rotating assembly?
« on: March 03, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »
I spoke with a local machine shop this afternoon that I plan to use for the machine work on my block. He suggested going with Molnar for the rotating assembly in my 390 that I will likely do a 445 stroker in. What is the consensus on that brand or should I plan to go with Scat? I am just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know what to go with after the block is inspected and determine how much work it needs. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Thoughts on Molnar rotating assembly?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 02:45:42 PM »
Molnar doesn't make FE cranks. 

I love their BBC rods though, which is what is needed for the aftermarket stroker kits. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
Molnar doesn't make FE cranks. 

I love their BBC rods though, which is what is needed for the aftermarket stroker kits.

That's what I thought after looking at their website after I got back from the shop today. Brent, since you do a lot of these, in your opinion, where is the best place to order the parts from?  I am at least going to have the machine work including the cam bearings, and such done locally but will do the rest of the assembly myself unless there is something I feel is out of my wheelhouse.

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:33:47 PM »
Brent, since you do a lot of these, in your opinion, where is the best place to order the parts from? 

I think it's a good idea to support those builders and suppliers who are on this Forum giving us plenty of their valuable time and knowledge free of charge.
(I'll try to order from them whenever I can)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 05:05:11 PM »
Brent, since you do a lot of these, in your opinion, where is the best place to order the parts from? 

I think it's a good idea to support those builders and suppliers who are on this Forum giving us plenty of their valuable time and knowledge free of charge.
(I'll try to order from them whenever I can)

I would agree with that 100%. I want to support local people as much as possible and I’m new to FE’s. If I were closer to someone on this forum I’d go to them for the machine work as well. I’m in South Carolina just outside of the Charlotte NC area but only know of the big name shops up in Mooresville. Holman Moody is only about 30 minutes away from me but last I checked with Lee, his engine builder retired.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 05:22:15 PM »
Adding to what the others have just said . You might be able to shop and shop and find parts and pieces cheaper (I doubt it) if you look and look . But in all honesty you arent going to do better than right here . I just got most of my stuff from Brent , some from Jay . Some stuff isnt available anywhere else and the stuff I got from Brent was faster than summit and cheaper...
Now aside from all of that  , the parts and pieces are one thing but support simply cannot have a price tag put on it... Most of these guys are around here daily disagreeing with me  (Dont buy a hydraulic cam)  8) and answering questions , etc... Its tough to beat that kind of support .

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
Have molinar rods in my stroker kit that I got from Berry at Survival couldn't be any happier with them
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 08:33:43 PM »
I have been moving to the Molnar rods on my H beam kits lately.  They are really nice parts.  They cost more than a comparable Scat H beam with the ARP 2000 bolt option - but they weigh less which makes up for the difference by not requiring as much Mallory to balance.

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »

I would agree with that 100%. I want to support local people as much as possible and I’m new to FE’s. If I were closer to someone on this forum I’d go to them for the machine work as well. I’m in South Carolina just outside of the Charlotte NC area but only know of the big name shops up in Mooresville. Holman Moody is only about 30 minutes away from me but last I checked with Lee, his engine builder retired.

Brent and Barry are too modest to come right out and say it, buy you can buy any of these parts from either one of these guys.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
What is the difference between the 6.7" rods for the BB Chev and ones offered for the FE? Are they narrower?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
Different wrist pin, different journal size, different big end width. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
I meant the 6.7 for the stroker FE, i think those are still .990 wristpin and for a 2.20 crankpin. But they are narrower?

Can you run the Molnar Chevy application 6.7" rods on a 4.25" stroker FE crank or do do they need to be remachined? I see Scat lists a different part number for the Ford 6.7" rods vs the Chevy . Both list the same sizes both ends.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:38 PM »
Molnar offers a 6.700 BBC rod and a 6.700 FE rod. 
The FE has an offset that better centers the rod under the piston.
The FE is arguably better for our use - although we have used BBC variants forever without issue.