Author Topic: FORD, FERRARI, AND THE HOLLEY CARBURETOR THAT HELPED MAKE RACING HISTORY  (Read 1415 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: FORD, FERRARI, AND THE HOLLEY CARBURETOR THAT HELPED MAKE RACING HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
  I have at least 20 of Harold Droste's (rip) hand built carburetors , including some as pictured and dual four versions. Harold was a genius when it came to carburetion. Often he would create a new version "overnight" for testing the following day. None of them have "list numbers" that appear in any Holley book.
   Randy

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Randy,
Was the 66 (GT40) a single 4 medium riser and the 67 a dual 4 tunnelport?  Which carburetors and intake were used on the dual 4 version?
Dennis

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
I have a couple of sets of hand-built 2x4 carbs with a simple "EH" stamped into the air horn. Ed Hecht

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
Randy,
Was the 66 (GT40) a single 4 medium riser and the 67 a dual 4 tunnelport?  Which carburetors and intake were used on the dual 4 version?
Dennis

Correct. The MKII used a magnesium four barrel intake . The MKIVs used a dual four Tunnel Port also with "center squirt" carbs made by Harold. I have both.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
I have a couple of sets of hand-built 2x4 carbs with a simple "EH" stamped into the air horn. Ed Hecht

Yes Ed Hecht and Chuck Gulledge( rip) were Holley guys who also modified them for racers. Chuck introduced me to Harold when I showed him a sand cast dominator I had. Both said "hang that on the wall and get a real one . "  Meaning a well sorted die cast but this was '75 or so.

chris401

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
Randy,
Dennis

Correct. The MKII used a magnesium four barrel intake . The MKIVs used a dual four Tunnel Port also with "center squirt" carbs made by Harold. I have both.
Is the center squirter design we have today his idea?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
   Yes Ed Hecht and Chuck Gulledge( rip) were Holley guys who also modified them for racers. Chuck introduced me to Harold when I showed him a sand cast dominator I had. Both said "hang that on the wall and get a real one . "  Meaning a well sorted die cast but this was '75 or so.

Gulledge was a "free spirit" when he visited the buttoned down offices of Holley when I worked there - and he became a friend.  Really cool character.

My first time seeing him was when he dropped in - everybody in shirt & tie with their sport coats hung on a hook behind their respective desks.  Into this silent formal office walks a tall dude in shredded bell bottoms and a Hawaiian shirt open to his belt, with an afro/perm and a big moustache, smoking a cigar.  He walks past, tosses the lit cigar into a trash can, leans over and gives Ronnie - the smokin' hot secretary - a big smooch on the lips, and continues on to wherever he was going.  As I sat there watching the wastebasket smolder in flames I think to myself "I don't know who that was - but I want to be him!"

Those sand cast Dominators were also pretty cool to look at.  Not many were made, and as far as I know none were officially "sold".  Most went to racers for testing and development.  Several were "lost" in the move from Warren, MI to Bowling Green, KY.  Don't know if they ever reappeared.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 10:01:39 PM »
The first time I met HD, I was having trouble with my Paxton-blown '65 1/2 Mustang. I managed to get hands on one of the VS-59 blowers that Paxton built for the race '57 T-birds. The area in the main casting that would be machined for the boost limiter was simply a blank spot and on my 'K' engine with a few 'improvements' I could get more than 15 pounds of boost.

The thing is, you have to run a connection from the fuel pump to the carb enclosure or you lose fuel pressure as the boost goes up and lean things out, which is a bit tough on your pistons. And when you let off the loud pedal, you get a momentary bit of high pressure on your gas you don't need. This slams the floats in the carb, and the brass bends where the float's are soldered to the float arms.

I used to go out Telegraph Rd and pick on 396 Chevy IIs. But I'd end up parked under a street light with the hood up and the carburetor apart to straighten it out. The supposed answer was to solder braces made from thin brazing rod to help stiffen the floats, but I was still having to replace them every couple of weeks.

I was told to call Harold. He built me a carb specifically for the application, with the first nitrophyl floats I'd ever seen.

Problem solved.

KS

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
   Barry ,
     In the "early days" Braswell had a somewhat similar look.