Author Topic: 428 flywheel  (Read 2930 times)

63.5xl

• View Profile
428 flywheel
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:11:38 PM »
What is the difference between flywheel on a 410, 428, 428cj and a 428scj. Does the 428 SCJ take a different flywheel than the 410, 428 and the 428cj. I hear that the scj428 has a different Ford part number, C9ZE A,  than the others. I know you have to add the hatchet behind the harmonic balancer on the scj428 unlike the others but I thought the flywheels were the same

427John

• View Profile
Re: 428 flywheel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 12:08:50 AM »
While all the others use the same flywheel the scj as you said earlier does have a separate part number,I don't think the amount of imbalance on the flywheel is different but there must be some difference to cause the different part number.Whatever it is must be minor because I think they are still interchangeable as long as you use the hatchet weight on the scj and don't use it on the others.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
The weight is different between the CJ and SCJ. I don't remember the specific SCJ weight, but the CJ is 28 oz. The SCJ is less offset weight.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:56 AM »
Flywheels are same, hatchet is the difference in balance between CJ, SCJ.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »
If the flywheels where the same there would be no specific SCJ flywheel which there is . Ford would not have just made another PN for no reason. There has to be some difference in weight or something to warrant the change that brought on the new PN and the SCJ specific flywheel. 

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 09:34:51 AM »
The flywheels are different guys. For instance, which you can verify on the CJ forum, on the auto flywheels, the weight on the SCJ is in the same location but about 1" shorter. The manual flywheel has the cast in weight so not as east to see the difference.
As Lance said, Ford wouldn't waste time and money making a different part if they were the same.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
The SCJ flywheel is a little different in imbalance weight and overall dimensions.  I'm trying to locate specifics.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:37:58 AM »
They are in fact different, the scj flywheel and flexplate have a slightly smaller weight.

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
What is the difference between flywheel on a 410, 428, 428cj and a 428scj. Does the 428 SCJ take a different flywheel than the 410, 428 and the 428cj. I hear that the scj428 has a different Ford part number, C9ZE A,  than the others. I know you have to add the hatchet behind the harmonic balancer on the scj428 unlike the others but I thought the flywheels were the same

Is this question in response to my WTB ad on facebook?  Because we just went through this there if you are Carl?

63.5xl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »

Is this question in response to my WTB ad on facebook?  Because we just went through this there if you are Carl?
Yes this is Carl, I posted this last night after I told you the other flywheel would work, before I knew you were going for a matching numbers flywheel. It got me curious as to what the difference was and I see by a couple responses the weight is different size. Which I think would not be good after the amount of money one could spend on getting an engine ready. Looks like Brent Lykins is going to get to the actual difference that there is which would be good to know, rather than just thrown any 428 flywheel on there.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
the rods probably weigh different on the scj.you would think a different part number would mean some difference in balance.i had mine internally balanced.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 03:05:36 PM »
The rods are different, they use cap screw lemans rods. The weight of the flywheel and location of the weight are also a little different. I don't have one of each to measure or I would post that . The reason there is a different number is not to say it's numbers correct. Ford made a different number which means there was a difference in the two parts.

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
The following is straight out of my Ford "Off Highway" parts book.  It cost a $1.50 in the day!!

Describing the 428 Super Cobra Jet:
"Two crankshafts are used; one with the 692 gram pistons before 12/26/68 and another with the 712 gram pistons after 12/26/68. This requires crankshafts with different balance weight, along with appropriate flywheel, damper, and spacer counterweights to accommodate the different piston weights. Do not interchange Super Cobra Jet parts with each other, or with standard Cobra Jet pieces or imbalance will result."

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »
If the flywheels where the same there would be no specific SCJ flywheel which there is . Ford would not have just made another PN for no reason. There has to be some difference in weight or something to warrant the change that brought on the new PN and the SCJ specific flywheel.
A different part number could be explained by a different PP bolt pattern,a different alloy or any other minor change,a good example of this is the number of different part numbers for early SBF flywheels they all used the same amount of imbalance but had other changes that warranted a part number change.I'm not saying there is no difference in the amount of imbalance  on the SCJ flywheel but you can't use the prescence of a different part number as evidence of that.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
The following is straight out of my Ford "Off Highway" parts book.  It cost a $1.50 in the day!!

Describing the 428 Super Cobra Jet:
"Two crankshafts are used; one with the 692 gram pistons before 12/26/68 and another with the 712 gram pistons after 12/26/68. This requires crankshafts with different balance weight, along with appropriate flywheel, damper, and spacer counterweights to accommodate the different piston weights. Do not interchange Super Cobra Jet parts with each other, or with standard Cobra Jet pieces or imbalance will result."
The off highway parts book is referencing buying parts over the counter and bolting it directly onto the vehicle as direct replacement service parts.Anyone building a 410,or428 or a neutral balanced motor for that matter that spends the extra money to have his rotating assembly balanced and doesn't include the complete rotating assembly is misguided.In this case interchange between the fly wheels is doable and has been done many,many times over the years.So if you have a completely untouched 428SCJ or building a concourse type restoration then yes it matters,if not then it doesn't.