Author Topic: Knock sensors for FE  (Read 4327 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Knock sensors for FE
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 10:28:06 PM »
 One of my thoughts was where to install it as I don't have a clue.
I guess that after I pull 20 or 30 of them I can get a basic ideal on where to put it.
I am going to start studying them for the next 9 to 14 days. We had the arctic front come in today and the temps are going to be below freezing for that time with the lows below zero. Since my shop is un heated this will give me something to do in that time.
Plan on wearing out my search engine in  the coming weeks.
Greg

RougeRiverForeman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:00 PM »
A lot of Knock Sensors are mount to a very solid portion of the block where there is a lot of metal.  Knock sensors on most BMW engines are located below the bottom of the cylinder coolant passage line before it joins into the lower case, they are mounted with long threaded bolts deep into the core. 

I'd presume that the sonic shock wave of detonation can best be picked up on a thick solid portion of the block, and that the proximity to the combustion chamber is of less importance.     

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »
That is a good point.
I was thinking of buying one of Summits engine run stands and bolting one of my extra engines to it and do some experiments.
That way I could move the sensor around and take some measurements and see what happens.
It may come to nothing but will give me something to do in my spare time.
Greg

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
While  my engine is out I am going to drill the pads that stick out on the sides that were for machining at the factory, so if the drain plugs do not work I can try them there. Leny

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
Good ideal. I will give that a try.
Greg

SReist

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
Not FE but a knock sensor related story. Bought a little POS car to drive to work. Olds Cutlass with a 3100 engine which are inherent rattlers. CEL was on and found the knock sensor
was unplugged. Well I got this, right? Plugged it back and went for a ride. Took so much timing out it would barely pull itself. Identifix said to remotely mount the sensor to the A/C
hose and ground it. Been running that way for 100K miles. Steve

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 05:14:32 PM »
On a 1991 5.0L is that threaded hole for the knock sensor on top of the block behind the intake manifold? Earlier ones don't have a hole there. It doesn't appear to go anywhere.