Author Topic: Cometic MLS head gaskets ?  (Read 1349 times)

69 crewcab

• View Profile
Cometic MLS head gaskets ?
« on: January 31, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »
I purchased a motor which had been assembled but not run. I have since dissembled it and have had some machine work done and starting to build it to my needs. The motor is a Genesis block at 4.310 bore with ported BBM heads. The motor had 4.400 bore x .040 Cometic gaskets,  I have not used MLS gaskets on an FE before. My questions are
1    The gaskets are embossed does the raised surface install towards the block or toward the head.
2    The oil hole in the gasket does not line up with the hole in the block. The gasket has an embossed oval in that area but I don't think when torqued it will allow enough oil through. I think I need to drill the                     .     gasket. Is that typically the solution?

thanks in advance
David

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cometic MLS head gaskets ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
I purchased a motor which had been assembled but not run. I have since dissembled it and have had some machine work done and starting to build it to my needs. The motor is a Genesis block at 4.310 bore with ported BBM heads. The motor had 4.400 bore x .040 Cometic gaskets,  I have not used MLS gaskets on an FE before. My questions are
1    The gaskets are embossed does the raised surface install towards the block or toward the head.
2    The oil hole in the gasket does not line up with the hole in the block. The gasket has an embossed oval in that area but I don't think when torqued it will allow enough oil through. I think I need to drill the                     .     gasket. Is that typically the solution?

thanks in advance
David

You end up turning one gasket upside down.  It's fine. 

The Genesis blocks did have some oil hole location issues if I remember correctly.  If you're not oiling through the pushrods, then you will need to see how much oil is passing, and most importantly, if the pressurized oil feed is outside the embossed area.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »
Brent
I have not installed the gaskets yet. I am about to install them. The oil feed is inside of the embossed area but to be safe I think I need to drill a hole within the embossed area directly over the oil feed restrictor hole.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 10:16:51 AM »
If the block hole, head hole, and head gasket hole are all inside that embossed area, the oil will find the way.   I've been using Pond and BBM blocks for so long, I can't remember what the Genesis blocks look like.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »
I have the Genesis block also.  Using the Fel-Pro 1020's I cut a slot in the gasket from the oil feed hole in the block to the feed hole in the Edelbrocks.  Oiled just fine through the slot to the rockers.  The paperwork I got with the short block specifically stated that this needed to be done.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
We used to drag a ball mill (or a die grinder with a steady hand) across from the Genesis drilled location to the "correct" location.  Maybe .090 deep groove takes care of it.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »
Barry,  Were you grooving the block or head to get the position right?

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »
The block would have to be grooved so that the oil hole in the Genesis block lines up with the hole in the MLS gasket at the stock hole location.